This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

18 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

[trailing edge thinning] Both! Mainly inside in the same way as you'd do a vacform.

I finally had to resort to a Dremel on the inside. FJ-3 not as bad.

Gene K

Wing fold. Been wondering how to do the hinges for a while, and I knew I'd probably be unable get them exactly scale, but wanted to do the best I could. So the concept was to make a tool out of an old razor saw blade, cut it into three and then put them back-to-back so that I had a razor saw, followed by a spacer of the same thickness as the saw blade; and finally a similarly-thick piece to act as a depth guide. So by sandwiching four pieces of 40-thou plastic card together I could potentially make a few 'hinges' so that I'd have a lot spare if required. 

So you do the first cut anywhere across the end of the card stack and that one is the only one you need to worry about the depth of. Once that's done, you use that newly-cut slot as the guide slot, and every other saw cut will be the same spacing and the same depth as the first. Here's a schematic and a shot of the tool (which I cut and trimmed using an angle grinder because the razor saw material is *** hard!). The only other things to remember is that the guide and spacer have no teeth, or you will just keep sawing!

53a

And this is how the plastic looked after cutting and then trimmed for attaching:

Then glued in position, flush with the upper wing surface:

I will probably reduce the 'teeth' in length a bit, but that's the hard bit done. Time to offer up outer wings:

And finally I said I'd post a 'before' and 'after' of the wing sections and here it is. Quite a lot of work to do, and whereas I mainly thinned the mating surfaces of the centre wings, I intend to sand the outer surfaces of the outer wings. Same effect of course:

Edited by Sabrejet

That's a great idea about doing the wing fold and it looks neat and easy.

Woah!!

Some great modelling and awesome tips on the wing fold.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Robert said:

That's a great idea about doing the wing fold and it looks neat and easy.

Brilliant craftsmanship,  but not sure about the "easy" part. :D

Gene K

Labour-intensive at first, but the end result is very cool. Plus you have the leeway to sand and re profile the hinges as the situation dictates.

i'm impressed!

-d-

Very nice.  You are making me tired just watching all the work you have done.  I will have to build my stamina before I start mine.

Thanks for the WIP.

Arrin

Edited by holtaa

Just found your build thread, nice work on the wing fold hinges and all the rest.

Colin

Drop tanks. Generally they are OK apart from two things: the fins are a bit indistinct in shape and the drop tank itself is symmetrical in profile whereas it should sweep upwards at the rear, with the top profile almost a straight line. The latter is easy to correct with a gentle bending of both halves and then a fair bit of tape applied while the glue sets.

So these are the old an new fins:

Then glued in place:

And finally after a coat of Mr Surfacer. Not so obvious is the upswept rear of the modified kit droptank parts.

And finally on with the windscreen: the copper wire is the canopy seal, which goes around the periphery of the cockpit and adds a bit of interest once it's stuck in place:

And finally a smidge of filler to blend it all in. I hadn't realised how I'd managed to get Milliput pretty much everywhere! It's no longer plastered on the gun troughs and elsewhere, thankfully.

Looking pretty darned good! The canopy seal is a great touch, one of those things I'd never think to add. And I'd like to echo everyone else's praise for the wingfold parts and the tutorial: I really enjoy it when talented folk on here share their tips and tricks with everyone. It's great to add things to one's toolbox and learn how to improve.

Just found this tonight, the wingfold is a hard act to better. Just love it when someone shows you something new and it impresses the hell outa ya. Will read it from the start now and catch up.

Peter

There is some fine work going on here. I'm following avidly (ready to commence my FJ-3s ;) )!

Martin