Sword FJ-2 Fury

9 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

So to those changes I mentioned. Initially I was going to do a 'mid' FJ-2 in the colour scheme of one of the Marines units. Then when I took the outer wings off I thought it might be different to do an 'early' version in dark gloss blue with the barrier guard, windshield wiper etc, so that's where I was going.

Except that I've now decided to go with a 'late' FJ-2 and that means no barrier guard under the fwd fuselage (now filled in after I'd carved it out and boxed it (see earlier post)) and no windshield wiper. It also means adding the wing leading-edge barrier engagement devices, which though featured on Sword's FJ-3, are on the extended-chord, cambered wing so no chance of a swap. However they are not too difficult to install from plastic card.. On the outer wings I also filled the drop tank pylon mounting hole (circled), which obviously shouldn't be outboard of the wing fold. Finally I made a brass tube pitot to replace the kit version, which is OK but not too robust:

Unfortunately the 'late' FJ-2 I want to model also has the splitter rudder, so that had to be taken out (WHY did I glue that in so well??) and that's where I did raid the FJ-3 kit, though I now wish I'd modified the original rudder with it on the model. 

Then I put the hinges on permanently and also filled the wing cavity:

Then another trial fit before going to whatever the next bit is!

Sorry it's taking so long - I'd probably have finished if I'd just gone OOB!

Maybe but you gave given us all some great tutorials! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert said:

SJ great going there, keep it going. Can l request a side view photo of the front canopy join to the fuselage please to see how it looks.

Robert

Any help? It's had a bit of filler, but only a sliver.

I for one don't mind the protracted nature of this build at all.

Going back and re-doing things like adding the leading edge barrier guards might take time, but if the end result is a cleaner-looking build i'm all for it. Anything it takes in order to make things come together easily and cleanly in the "End Game".

Ironically, i'm willing to bet that by folding the wings and building them up separately it'll make handling the model easier.....

-d-

• Like 2

Sword's kit doesn't include a full tail hook, since it's designed with that item retracted and doors flush. The bit you do get, to represent the exposed part of the hook, is a weak point of the kit. Ironically it's too hook-shaped:

The real thing is more like a plough (plow), but in any case I needed to make the whole thing and here's my effort:

It will be modelled 'on the floor' (so I could have missed out the nose weight I guess), but either way here it is sitting in the hook well:

Tail bumper next.

• Like 6

Tail bumper: first of all an example of why I don't use museum aircraft as modelling references. Below two different FJ-3 Furies (same tail bumper as FJ-2), but whereas the top photo shows the correct actuator and orientation (body attache to bumper; ram uppermost) the second photo shows what looks like the correct item, but not only is it not an FJ actuator, it's also the wrong way up!

86a

86b

I decided to do mine from brass sheet and rod (mainly) just because it looked like it might be a bit more in-scale. The kit supplies a perfectly good rendition but it's a bit indistinct in terms of detail.

There are actually two thin wires leading from the hydraulic ram, which represent hydraulic lines, and though you can only just see them, they fit into a horizontal hole drilled in the forward end of the tail bumper well, and help to hold it in place. I haven't glued this bit in yet -  the above photos are with it supported on those two wires.

Final bit I think before I start painting: replaced the kit catapult hook from plastic card and gave it a blow-over with Mr Surfacer 1000.

Bit more niff-naff bits to do (detail speed brake rams, add a few bits aft of the seat and a few more on the wing folds) and then I think I may be on the home stretch! Unless I think of something else... 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Tail bumper: first of all an example of why I don't use museum aircraft as modelling references. Below two different FJ-3 Furies (same tail bumper as FJ-2), but whereas the top photo shows the correct actuator and orientation (body attache to bumper; ram uppermost) the second photo shows what looks like the correct item, but not only is it not an FJ actuator, it's also the wrong way up!

86a

86b

I decided to do mine from brass sheet and rod (mainly) just because it looked like it might be a bit more in-scale. The kit supplies a perfectly good rendition but it's a bit indistinct in terms of detail.

There are actually two thin wires leading from the hydraulic ram, which represent hydraulic lines, and though you can only just see them, they fit into a horizontal hole drilled in the forward end of the tail bumper well, and help to hold it in place. I haven't glued this bit in yet -  the above photos are with it supported on those two wires.

Final bit I think before I start painting: replaced the kit catapult hook from plastic card and gave it a blow-over with Mr Surfacer 1000.

Bit more niff-naff bits to do (detail speed brake rams, add a few bits aft of the seat and a few more on the wing folds) and then I think I may be on the home stretch! Unless I think of something else... 

OK, I give! You win, SJ! Outstanding detail work!

Mike

• Like 4

No further questions.

This reminds me a lot of a "Navy Bird" (Bill Gillman) project.

-d-

Edited by David H
i misspelled Bills last name. I've been a bad, bad boy.

Cool! Are there some kind of red support rods, that run between the wings and the fuselage to buttress the wing when folded?

I didn't say anything about it earlier but i really like the tail skid.

-d-

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, David H said:

Cool! Are there some kind of red support rods, that run between the wings and the fuselage to buttress the wing when folded?

I didn't say anything about it earlier but i really like the tail skid.

-d-

Yes - not always fitted but another thing I'm doing.

And thanks!

Finally some paint going on:

And gear bays etc painted:

Not very visible but the corrogard (silver) wing and intake leading edges done too, plus NARTU band in International Orange:

These few gull gray reserve FJ-2s didn't seem to have white flaps (FJ-3s did), but did have white ailerons, Other bits done too:

Bit of tidying up to do then a coat of gloss and put the decals on.

• Like 8

SJ- You be jammin'! Quite a journey from your first posts with the parts fresh out of the box. I would never have the cojones or skill to do the wing fold/hinges; you are da man! Can't wait to see her finished.

Mike

Yowzah- we got 3" of snow here in San Antonio; first significant snowfall since 1985!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yowzah- we got 3" of snow here in San Antonio; first significant snowfall since 1985!

Living the dream: we had about 30 seconds' worth yesterday and I'm doing my snow dance in the hope for a lot more!