Shagbat! Mr Mitchell's other design classic...

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

No pressure, then, guys!  

None at all Crisp, you may proceed. :whip:

Seriously though, this is turning into a very fine tribute to your father.

Martian

• Like 2

Not happening on this build, that’s for sure - not with one wing folded!  Besides, Dad’s Walrus career was strictly land-based.

More likely than dangling is a future - poss pre-War? - Walrus on a scratch-built catapult.  But who knows...?

• Like 3

Not much done today, cos I am busy with a concert this evening.

Since this is a tribute to my Dad at RNAS Arbroath, I decided his chart table looked a bit bare, so I have added a map for him:

37921724754_b8e88b04cc_c.jpg

It was actually an image of part of a genuine 1944 aeronautical chart of the Eastern Highlands, with the part on show being Arbroath.  It took a bit of finding, but for people looking for images of wartime maps, I recommend these guys:

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A75556

I am now going to see how convincing I can make a 1/48 Bigsworth Board look (at least, the brass bits):

38639300611_e42c052521_c.jpg

Could be doable, I think...

More tomorrow

Crisp

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

so I have added a map for him:

I've often wondered about this - would people have got in trouble leaving their maps in aircraft during wartime? I realise that this one being a navigational chart it's doubtful it would be classified, but when people leave representations of target maps in Lancasters and the like, I do think that would have been frowned upon at the very least! So I just wonder if it would have been trained as good practice not to leave any map in the aircraft? 

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I've often wondered about this - would people have got in trouble leaving their maps in aircraft during wartime? I realise that this one being a navigational chart it's doubtful it would be classified, but when people leave representations of target maps in Lancasters and the like, I do think that would have been frowned upon at the very least! So I just wonder if it would have been trained as good practice not to leave any map in the aircraft? 

Keith

Almost certainly, yes; even setting aside security (not a huge issue with a 1:250,000 of Eastern Scotland with no tactical overlay, you’d think), on a training squadron with no doubt several trips in a given airframe on a given day, I suspect your Instructor would give you a hard time for leaving your gear strewn around the back.

But I have to be allowed some artistic license!

[Edit: on the other hand, it’s pretty standard practice - certainly in modern times - to have a local area map, marked up with all local danger areas, spot heights etc., live in each aircraft.  You often see it tucked down the side of a windscreen, for instance.  Yes, for the pilot not the Looker, but I refer the Honourabie Gentleman to my previous reply concerning artistic license!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, fully agree. In peacetime....

I think if the Germans had captured my Dad’s 2nd Line Walrus in 1944, the intelligence gain would have been precisely nil.  And definitely not a Quarter Mill map of the approaches to Dundee!

Incidentally, I rather doubt that 751 would routinely have left their aircraft with one wing spread and one folded.  I hope that’s not going to disturb you too much, Keith ;-)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Incidentally, I rather doubt that 751 would routinely have left their aircraft with one wing spread and one folded.  I hope that’s not going to disturb you too much, Keith ;-)

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It'll probably give me nightmares....!! :P

To give @keefr22 an uninterrupted night's sleep, could you display it with a couple of ground crew types about to spread/fold (delete as appropriate) the other wing ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmm.  Some unused (and never will be, because I have some better ones from a different source) FlightPath Sea King windscreen wipers, adapted by removing the wiper blades... I think this could work.  Off to see whether I can find a suitable compass-y "dial" in my stock of Airscale transfers, just to tip it a little further over that little edge of insanity...

24781310628_4526d8e846_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edit: I knew Peter wouldn't let me down!

26877694019_f15b963811_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Not much done today, cos I am busy with a concert this evening.

Since this is a tribute to my Dad at RNAS Arbroath, I decided his chart table looked a bit bare, so I have added a map for him:

37921724754_b8e88b04cc_c.jpg

It was actually an image of part of a genuine 1944 aeronautical chart of the Eastern Highlands, with the part on show being Arbroath.  It took a bit of finding, but for people looking for images of wartime maps, I recommend these guys:

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A75556

I am now going to see how convincing I can make a 1/48 Bigsworth Board look (at least, the brass bits):

Could be doable, I think...

More tomorrow

Crisp

Aî Caramba !!

Why did I see that !!

start the thing tonight !!

Raaaaah

sincerely.

CC

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And definitely not a Quarter Mill map of the approaches to Dundee!

Or better known as the escape routes from Dundee as any good Aberdonian will tell you, the only good thing to come out of Dundee is the road out of there!  

Lovely work with the table and a nice wee tribute to your Dad, artistic licence or not.

• Like 1

The Bigsworth board is a work of art in it's own right. I am very much getting the impression that this is a labour of love for you. As to tipping over the edge of insanity, I seem to remember a certain former FAA pilot of this parish saying that I was mad at Telford, looks like you are not that far behind, indeed, what will Crisp be wearing for SMW 2018 we all ask?

Martian

• Like 1

Just spent the last hour catching up on this build. What a wonderful job you are doing so far! Makes me want to get rid of my stash and start fresh with these new Airfix offerings. I will continue to follow along with interest.

Andy

• Like 1