Shagbat! Mr Mitchell's other design classic...

Holy crap, Airfix have certainly come a LONG way since the '70's! This looks wonderful, but how will you cope with not having to add bits yourself?

Ian

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Holy crap, Airfix have certainly come a LONG way since the '70's! This looks wonderful, but how will you cope with not having to add bits yourself?

Ian

I'll see if I can contain my disappointment...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/31/2017 at 1:59 AM, Martian Hale said:

This is looking tasty!

Martian

Hi Martin,

Didn't you do an article for the IPMS(?) magazine on correcting the CA kit a "few" years ago?  How does this match up to your plans? Or is the brain even more addled than I think it is?

Tim (the ever inquisitive)

• Haha 1

I enjoyed watching the Youtube film. For those, like me, of a nerdier persuasion, I was interested to see how the fin flash of the subject Walrus was painted down the aft fuselage sides below the tail; and in the close up of the pilot just before launch, is that a bullet hole in the windscreen?!

The kit looks lovely - I have one but, as I'm wrestling with an Albacore at the moment, I might avoid biplanes for a while....

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishbed said:

Hi Martin,

Didn't you do an article for the IPMS(?) magazine on correcting the CA kit a "few" years ago?  How does this match up to your plans? Or is the brain even more addled than I think it is?

Tim (the ever inquisitive)

Not me Gov, best get your head tested Tim. Unless of course my brain is even more addled and I wrote an article without knowing it. This is of course entirely possible. The good news is that I get my head tested on a regular basis.

Martian

As I have already observed, some of this Eduard PE is taxing my origami skills to the limit.  Having said that, I have to admit that it looks pretty fantastic when you get it right.  

Some of it, though, is really VERY fragile - so thin to give a good scale appearance that if you more than breathe on it it bends in all sorts of places you don't want to... and eventually simply breaks.  So today I have been reinforcing a piece you have already seen (one of the two hatches which match up with the circular plates in the hull (so I therefore assume are some kind of access and or drainage system) has the tiniest surface area to take any kind of either glue or solder... so the joint kept breaking... so eventually it broke altogether.  Here it is after a complete rebuild:

26320847469_88ca257f80_c.jpg

And here is the newly reinforced underside:

26320847759_a03efc7def_c.jpg

That's a good hour's work!

Apart from that, I have been plodding on with the PE detailing - concentrating on the rudders (which are considerably more detailed than Airfix's offerings, and will be at least partially visible), and the co-pilot's seat, which normally sat folded up against the right hand side of the cockpit.  Here you can see the rudders glued in place, complete with 0.5 nickel silver control rods… and the folded up seat sitting dry fitted against the cockpit wall.

38097280921_133cbca11a_c.jpg

My eyes are going in circles, even with an Optivisor, so time to stop.  

More soon

Crisp

• Like 11

Building your origami gizzits is one thing - how on earth are you going to paint all that interior ?

It certainly does look like an inviting kit (no idea why I find flying boats so interesting to look at)

• Like 2

That's looking really good Crisp. According to the AP on the type the plates that you mention are in fact covers that can be removed should the aircraft need to be fitted with cameras.

Martian the Helpful

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's looking really good Crisp. According to the AP on the type the plates that you mention are in fact covers that can be removed should the aircraft need to be fitted with cameras.

Martian the Helpful

Of course: that makes much more sense, and explains the internal structure.  All the same; 2 deliberate holes in the hull of an amphibian... what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, hendie said:

...how on earth are you going to paint all that interior ?

I have asked myself the same question, believe me!  There is a plan behind this build - though whether said plan actually pays off remains to be seen.

Essentially, at present I am adding (as in, gluing in place) everything that will be Interior Green.  [I am also building (origami) some other bits, but carefully setting them aside for now.]. What I have not done, however, is to glue the three main parts - fuselage halves & hull bottom.  In due course - quite soon now, in fact - I will paint the separate sections, including weathering, and only then glue them together and add the other non-green parts (e.g. instrument panel, Observer’s table, radios etc).  

I’m also trying to work out how to paint, build, rig the wings without each getting the way of the other.  I think - though I have yet to dry fit this - that it might be possible to paint first, then rig, and only then build... but we shall see.

I am also toying with the idea of building it with one wing spread and the other folded.  That would mean a small adaptation of Airfix’s clever engineering, but nothing drastic.

What is undeniable is that this is a really complex kit which requires a lot of thought before you get any glue out.  True of many bi-plane kits, but the folding wings, midships / interwing engine arrangement and sheer level of internal detail take this to another level.  

Great fun, though!

• Like 5

I am boggled by the amount of detail Airfix and Eduard are providing - what is it about anachronistic biplanes (I'm thinking about the Swordfish too) that makes manufacturers go the extra mile?

It's a very informative and entertaining build too - I just watched the whole of the catapult instruction video without intending to!

(I must build my 1/72 version out of the stash before they release an upgraded version...)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Remember this thing?  A piece of equipment I would never wish to be without.  

24263931038_d099a954e9_c.jpg

Well I suddenly remembered this morning that when I bought it several years ago, I also obtained something else... unbuilt until today: its biplane cousin!

24263929898_ea1b8fb184_c.jpg

I think come wing alignment and rigging time, this could become especially useful.

More later

Crisp

• Like 8

nice woodwork sir, but I am not sure of the aerodynamic efficiency of those over-wing pylons or the refueling probe sticking out to the side though - you might need a trim tab or two to counterbalance that drag

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:48, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Of course: that makes much more sense, and explains the internal structure.  All the same; 2 deliberate holes in the hull of an amphibian... what could possibly go wrong?

The AP didn't express an opinion as to whether it was a good idea or not, it just says what they are for. :huh: Mind you, there is an AP on the Blackburn Botha and that was definitely not a good idea!

Martian

• Like 2

On 29/10/2017 at 7:41 PM, TheBaron said:

I've been ogling this over the past few months with similar musings about perching a Valom Walrus:

I could watch this stuff all day...

Looking forward to seeing this kit come together Crisp.:thumbsup2:

That’s wonderful!  Thanks.  Quite apart from the words pronounced in odd RN ways that survive to this day (“britch” rather than “breeech”,  “tay-cle” rather than “tack-le”), and the pre-Health & Safety ratings standing nervlously to attention as a Walrus is catapulted inches over their heads, that does make you think.  Apart from the section at the end showing landing technique [stall it on from 6’, it seems!], the film was made on a Harry Flatters day in the sunny Solent; to do that in a North Atlantic swell in Winter, sometimes at night, must have been hair-raising and taken a very worked-up crew.  The Walrus wobbles about on the end of the crane even with steadying lines in pretty much flat calm; it would have been seriously dangerous with a big sea running.

Respect!

From a purely modelling point of view, it’s also explained to me what some of the wires festooned all over the aircraft were for.

Great stuff.

• Like 6

Words fail me.  As for being "volunteered" to be the hooker on......!!!!!  And all that was in a calm sea!

Very complicated routines to remember and lots of room for error.  Very brave men and that was without being under fire.  

Thanks for posting that video.

• Like 1

Yet more brass origami; I have now completed the starboard side of the fuselage:

38145900491_715765d6d3_c.jpg

Here's the forward section in close-up:

38145900071_65ba042252_c.jpg

And here the aft bit:

38145899721_46641b5968_c.jpg

The small pieces of Tamiya tape are where there will be Eduard coloured PE pieces post-painting - I want to provide a section of bare plastic on which to glue them.

Bonkers - I have lost count of how many pieces of brass this is - but there is a certain masochistic fun to getting the intricate folding right.  And I think it's going to look good under some paint.

Ah yes.  Paint.

More soon

Crisp

P.S. Forgot to put the window in place for the photo, but you've already seen that so I won't bother to take another shot.  But that means there is even more PE that's missing!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 14

That does look good Crisp! Don't forget that if it all seems a bit bonkers, BM not only survives on bonkers but thrives on it.

Philosophical of Mars 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I decided to take a slight break from PE origami today, and instead spent much of the afternoon drilling a lot of small holes all over the place, ready for rigging in due course.

I did, however, glue some plastic as well:

26394303309_c01b08f757_c.jpg

I also made a final decision about the configuration of this build - here's a not very subtle clue:

26394303859_18738e6879_c.jpg

Airfix have engineered this very cleverly, with pretty substantial spars (as seems to be their standard approach nowadays) that give a decent hinge (for the folded version) and solid dihedral (for both folded and spread).  I simply sawed both spars in half and fitted the starboard side of the folded one and the port side of the spread one.

I also added a bit more in the rear cockpit - the TAG's seat and a bin thing on the starboard side (not sure what it was for).  The sections of tape are me starting to mask off areas of bare plastic for future glued joins, in preparation for spraying.  The cockpit section (seat, pedals, stick, control runs etc) will remain separate until after painting, to allow decent access.

26394302939_43d667b0eb_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 13