Finally - Mosul Bf 110 Complete

With some remaining time of work - and as a final-stage in my warm up toward Zvezda's PE-2 - I tackled the Eduard Bf 110 E. Overall I really loved making this kit - though there were some real struggles at some points. I had a tantrum with the shark mouth - sadly - and gave up on it, among other things... Also - the carpet monster (or in my case the gaping spaces between floor boards monster) got the pilot's right side window, and one gear-bay door. 

The kit was finished with Tamiya rattle cans - RAF Ocean Grey (bottom and top), and Tank Grey for the splinters. Panel lines were then darkened with a black / brown oil wash. Large spaces were then broken up with neat oil paint to bleach out panels - mostly white/grey mixtures. I did this far more heavily on the underside to emulate a lighter overall shade of paint. 

I have included a few 'along the way' shots - and hope that I haven't crossed the lines between WiP and RfI too much. Apologies if I have... But these non-final images felt like relevant points for anyone tempted to take on this build. 

The parts count is quite high by my standards, and to me, some of the kit is over engineered... The exhausts for example are all separate, and need to be assembled. It wasn't hard, but to me personally seems a needless fiddly task when the kit already has quite a lot of work required. Then again - others may of course love this sort of thing! 

The interiors are wonderfully detailed, and go together very nicely indeed. I sprayed all interiors tamiya gunship grey before sponging on Vallejo in various shades of grey to break it all up. 

The first real challenge on the kit is the nose - which just does not fit as far as I can see. I eventually had to take out all the bulkheads / gun mounts and sand the whole thing down separately, before gluing it to the fuselage, then sanding more. Wasn't impossible - but was odd given how fantastic other parts of the kit fit. Following this the other real strain with this build is the engine / wing joins. There's a 1-2 mm gap in terms of the nacelles' depth, and a 0.5-1mm gap in their height. They just aren't long or tall enough to meet the wing. A load of milliput sort of got me there - but I wasn't happy even by the end with this area of the build. 

lu3gPPn.jpg

SiKW3xu.jpg

mQhgI1K.jpg

Anyway - those were the only real issues - here are the images of the completed kit - which was the best result I have yet go from working oil paint onto surfaces to replicate bleaching / fading of paint. See first image for a before / after. 

As ever - all comments / criticisms are welcome. 

BEST,

BRUCE 

Un1TaH9.png

HXNgIQx.jpg

myCFW8V.jpg

TB5GNhE.jpg

9WiIZJ3.jpg

OpoG8Y7.jpg

• Like 25

Very nice model.

I have to say I prefer the 'before' shot of the upper surfaces as I find the highlighting of the panels produces an unrealistic 'quilted' effect.

But everything else is superb and I love the choice of markings.

• Like 1

Beautifully crafted 110! Incidentally, I do agree with IanC about that (to me) dubious quilted effect on the wings.

On the subject of the wing, btw, you'll have to correct the position of the ailerons. They don't deflect down together like flaps but work in opposite direction to each other for lateral control. 

Nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanC said:

Very nice model.

I have to say I prefer the 'before' shot of the upper surfaces as I find the highlighting of the panels produces an unrealistic 'quilted' effect.

But everything else is superb and I love the choice of markings.

Thanks Ian - interesting note that...

As I don't have an airbrush, I have been looking at using oils as a way of side stepping pre-shading and so on.... Lightening areas after painting rather than the more popular airbrush pre-shade... I see your point about an over pronounced effect though.

The before / after shot was before a semi gloss coat went on - which I think muted the contrasts somewhat. But again - all of that said - I see your point. 

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautifully crafted 110! Incidentally, I do agree with IanC about that (to me) dubious quilted effect on the wings.

On the subject of the wing, btw, you'll have to correct the position of the ailerons. They don't deflect down together like flaps but work in opposite direction to each other for lateral control. 

Nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim 

Noted RE ailerons. That's good to know! Thank you. 

And yes - see above for the oil paint post fading....

For me, I like the fade achieved by the oil post-shading - and don't think it's a million miles off the usual pre-shade effect that people can achieve with an airbrush. It's certainly nowhere near as subtle, of course, but that said - for those working with rattle cans and a brush - the oil can give those big surfaces a bit more depth. 

That said - I certainly could do with working on the subtlety of the shading. 

cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Romel said:

Great job.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Bruce,

Pretty good 110, really like her, good job :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

tasty

Thanks all! Was a really enjoyable one. More work than I am used to in some respects, but a joy none the less.

Cheers for the notes,

Bruce