Tiger I x 4

Soeren

Thank you Lloyd. I feel the same. The green makes it look much more natural. 

Now I have to figure out how how I want to weather the lower hull before adding wheels and tracks. A few.pictures show it in sandy terrain and the picture from the start more in muddy environment. I tend more towards dry encrusted dirt. 

I was working with a H&S Ultra with 0,2 mm nozzle at about 18-20 psi with thinned down Vallejo Model Air paint. The coverage is very thin and so it takes several passes to build up the opacity. 

• 3 weeks later...

Revisiting the Tiger builds to weather the lower hull.

Various ammo of mig earth effects with plaster and pigments. Before that I had ak texturizer with dirt and plaster and pigments. This is now after three sessions of sprinkles.

file.php?id=70441&mode=view

file.php?id=70442&mode=view

• Like 2

One week later an update. I messed around with pigments again.

The hull got an oil paint and pigment treatment to make the tidemarks look better and than a soft rubdown with a stiff brush before varnish application. I was using this varnisch which is reasonably cheap and seems to work well on the large scale models. https://www.architekturbedarf.de/farben ... 1010-matte

file.php?id=70599&mode=view

Then I went along with track (enamel, plaster mix for the texture and Vallejo acrylic dust wash and finally some lighter pigments to the topmost areas before varnish)

file.php?id=70600&mode=view

Followed by the wheels on one side. Started with a texturizer mix, that of course turned out too dark, then applied two layers of different pigment mixtures fixed with Abtl. 502 fixer. I guess there is a need for some overall dust application now to blend the different tones together and have the less textured areas not look too clean before sealing with matt varnish

file.php?id=70601&mode=view

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

I am happy with the result so far. Gave the wheels a final rubdown of pigments and fixer and didnt end with a varnish coat, because I would like to have the unpowdered paint on the wheels retain its satin sheen.

Then I gave the track a drybrush of ModelAir Black metal and a pigment rub of dark steel on the outside and where the wheels contact on the inside. The dirt paint gave some cast appearance where te mteal paint is on now. We´ll see how long it will last. Quickly mounted and one side is finished for now.

file.php?id=70607&mode=view

file.php?id=70608&mode=view

file.php?id=70609&mode=view

As expected, not much of the side panel weathering visible anymore. Lots of work for nothing  😵

Will see if there is  need for touchups in the end. Maybe some shadows around the details, here and there. But this is for the feature.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

Todays update. Finally put the other side running gear together. Note to myself, weather both tracks at the same time to match the colors better. But even one track is so time consuming for the after work hobby hour.

Added the electronics and had a test run and finally uploaded the first video to my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSB2ke-62M

• 2 months later...

Wow. only 2 and a half months later.

Mounted the gun and servos and got a friend to print a support ring. The gun is so heavy, the cheap servo really struggles. I now ordered a Savöx SH-253. See how that works.

c3c991503d491136f4912c7bd654897c.jpg

Sanding down the paint on the barrel to make the recoil smooth really added some nice effect with the red primer underneath.

55dc73546f675694bdb1d70fa636eda3.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about this tank for a while now. Still didnt really figure out how to put the top hull on the bottom. So I figured I would need a well engineered reference teachingme on how to do it. To help this stand out I ordered an Aber kit that included some interesting bits, Track hangers cast in brass, I didn´t know that beforehand. The track cable and barrel cleaing rods are included, but not the same quality as the individual sets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, hey, KV-1 done, Panther almost. So started on a new serious project.

Got all the PE goodies for the Tamiya Kit and an alluminium barrel with muzzle brake from Schumo kits. That should keep me busy over the next years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Dragon kit is meant for two reasons. 1st wanted to do it as a Kharkov Tiger. So needed some kit to try the painting. 2nd never build a Dragon Tiger before and need some reference for possibly missing details on the Tamiya kit when Aber doesn’t give us the answer.

spacer.png

Nice. Dragon gives us some interior for the turret. So open hatches allow at least for some detail to be visible even though there should be figures filling up most of the space.

• Like 1

Got the order of Montana Spray Cans today. Actually the "Everglade" color is the greenish brown. Is it coffee with milk or baby poo? Well, it is slightly darker an less ochreish than the Vallejo modelcolor RAL 8000. Good primer color if you ask me.

spacer.png

So it was time to spray the wheels and prime the hull. Almost one can down.

The roadwheels were "evergladed" and the outer wheels got a highlight of VMC RAL 8000, the sprockets were painted RAL 8000 without priming. The Colors are slightly different, but go together very well.

spacer.png

Same treatment to the 1/16th scale wheels.

spacer.png

The color appears lighter on this pictures than what I see with the naked eye though

I feel that a dark brown wash and then some serious highlighting of the outer wheels should be a good start. Will do this together with the hull which I just started working on.

Edited by Soeren

There are some details missing on the Tamiya hull. Weldline between the front panel. Had to glue one some plastic card sheets to create the channel. Other weldlines in styrene rod manner and the nuts and bolts added. 
spacer.png

Ah well and the odd torch cut marks of course.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

Oh my! Tamiya 1/16 Tiger! if I won the lottery that would be up there with the must haves. 

I remember it coming out and Tamiya magazine, amongst others, did a review/build of the full works version with sound chip and everything, smitten ever since.

Dare I ask, does it still come with sound effects?

I'll try and keep up to date with this one.

Good luck

Darryl 

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Oh my! Tamiya 1/16 Tiger! if I won the lottery that would be up there with the must haves. 

I remember it coming out and Tamiya magazine, amongst others, did a review/build of the full works version with sound chip and everything, smitten ever since.

Dare I ask, does it still come with sound effects?

I'll try and keep up to date with this one.

Good luck

Darryl 

It is the so called "Full Option" Kit. Yes, it has a complete electronics unit with sounds, etc. It will be able to run, turn the turret, elevate the gun and can recoil with flash when shooting.

I couldnt afford those kits when I was young. Well and I wouldnt have done a good job painting them anyways. So now a boys dreams finally come true.

• Like 1

I think at the time it was the sound effects that sold it to me, could be wrong,  but I'm sure they used a recording of the real thing from initial start up to running.

On 24/08/2020 at 09:52, Soeren said:

I couldnt afford those kits when I was young. Well and I wouldnt have done a good job painting them anyways. So now a boys dreams finally come true.

Like wise, however I still doubt I'd dare do something in that price range or have the skill to do it justice. 

Good luck, not that you'll need it, sure you'll nail it. 

Darryl 

Thank you. Luck an endurance is what I need here as the detailing will take some time. 
Some wheels are on this one now. Lots of wheels actually.

spacer.png

Good that there are rubber rims included. And only on the dragon tank I will have to paint the rims on 48 road wheels. And I thought Panthers have lots of wheels.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

What fun, 48 road wheels,  and an absolute pain if as a crew member you have to change one!

Yeah, and of course it is the the inner most in the center all the time. What did they need to do, demount 8+ wheels to get there?

Hmmm, where to start?

spacer.png

Btw, went along on the Dragon kit. The detail is great, but I also found a few issues in the early build already. The jack mounts dont work in the way as shown in the instructions and according to the holes in the rear wall, or it is just me. The second is the ventilators inside, you cant mount the PE cover without cutting down parts of it, when you bend the PE according to the prescribed lines as it would be too wide. Secondly, the covers over the tanks need to be mounted together with the radiotaors, the way the incstuctions show it, it wont work. Well, you dont see anything of that anyway when you keep the grating closed.

Still, nice option, when you know how to approach it, this is for the other Tiger kits.

spacer.png

Also painted and weathered the turret inside, again, ther wont be much if any seen. So stayed really basic, it is just there.

spacer.png

Next I started on the PE, as it was the recent step in the Tamiya build. Front fenders this is. Cut the kit parts down, one PE fender complete, the second needs the brackets still. And received the latest ABER product for the early Tiger.

spacer.png

Well. if this wasnt enough already. One Fret of PE down, how many were this again?

spacer.png

This one will last until it is finished ;=

Size comparison

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1