Tiger I x 4

Soeren

Thank you for your comment. I like the 031 much better than the revell color. But I have a hang towards the camo beige. Together with the heml dor shadows and some aged white added for highlights, I could achieve a nice range of colors by mixing. Base coats I usually spray very thinned down. So even a complete color redo will not change the detail in any way in the 1/16 scale. Had that with my Jagdpanther. Now worries on that point.

Todays job is done, doing hte lower lip. One evergreen 3.2x6.3 placed in horizontally and a 1.5x3.5 to make the lower lip and 1x2.5 to make the splash guard. Then the sides filled with Apoxie Sculpt. Some clean up to come as it is all well cured.

Turretlowerguard3.jpg

The mantlet sits now rather tight and wiht nearly no gap when seen from the front. A single oddity though, while in full elevation the top raiming gap is close to completely even, the lower gap in full depression is wider to one side. But as it is on the bottom we will not see it once the turret is mounted.

Turretlowerguard2.jpg

Once sanded down a bit and bolts added, even the girls from Schwarzwald approve :D

Turretlowerguard1.jpg

Now I have just to work out how these guys go together

gunassembly.jpg

• Like 3

The 1/16 need so much additional work. I am preparing the recoil to work now. Meanwhile I primed the two 1/35th scale turrets. The AFV club is primed black gray and then a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Hull red and RAL 8012. The Academy turret is black, Revell Sand and then finished in Vallejo Model color 821. Might need an additional coat. Base paint I usually thin down very much, so it is more of a dirty thinners. Lays down very smooth. But requires nearly 10-15 minutes to get a covering layer.

turrets.jpg

• Like 2

Academy turret got the yellow band, should have painted the camo first though. But we will make it anyways. Panzer Camo Putty is highly recommended.

WP_20171118_13_31_48_Rich.jpg

The barrel was painted grey now, the Turret itself got some slight shading with Vallejo Hemp and then highlightss with Model Color Ger. Camo Beige, those work together really well. The AFV-Club turret was painted Hemp now.

WP_20171118_14_01_26_Rich.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Mr Blaubar.

I am excited about the final results as well. I just tried the putty for the camo. The Paintjob was much too smooth. Too even in color, too even on the borders. So I took the paint and repsrayed all the areas. None the less, I will use that putty even for freehand camo now, but only for preparing the layout and then finishing it by hand.

Camo3211.jpg

Camo3212.jpg

Camo3213.jpg

Camo3214.jpg

Camo3216.jpg

• Like 3

Does it get some brown now?  I can't remember if you said 3 color camo. or 2 color tiger stripes.

I like the feathered edges much better than the hard edge and I rather doubt they masked and sprayed anything in the field.  Maybe they did but

seems like a lot of extra work and since the object was to blend in there aren't many hard edges in nature.

The Hemp does look rather good and now the other color looks rather yellow, tricky stuff this.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

They say brown, after seeing a green interpretation, I just wanted to try that here. The big one will be brown.

From various pictures and videos out there you can see, that the paintjob is often very uneven in the patches as well. It is our taste now to have the perfect lines. And artists that present us with color picturess do that as well.

Edited by Soeren

Hi folks, I wondered what would happen if I changed one of the pictures into black and white. Here you go. When the monochrome is accurate, then the dark colors can be everything. Interesting to note, the yellow on the other hand looks darker than expected. It is much lighter in the reference picture.

WP_20171118_18_50_27_Rich3.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Is thus Panzer Putty really good? Can you reuse it? I've used always blue tack, but it leaving some oily stains on the paint. 

Nice painting. 

Chris, I bought the Panzer Putty online. It leaves some very mild stains. It is easily stretched and conforms to the surface. It is takenb of without sticking to the paint at all. You can cut it as well, so even straight lines are possible. And yes, you can reuse it.

https://www.dersockelshop.de/panzer-putty-airbrush-accessories-80g_mxpression_mxa001.html

And here it is decaled and varnished. I should have taken more MicroSol on the back number. Then it might have completely disappeared edges. But it looks good enough anyways. Meanwhile working on the recoil servo unit.

AcademyTurret.jpg 

• Like 3

What a fun modelling day today.

After I let the varnish dry for a few hours, I came back for some initial weathering. Started with a filter, a mix of MIG Tan filter, a bit of Abtl. 502 light sand and Abtl 502 Matt Effect thinner. While the surface was wet, I started with the pin wash, MIG brown for German Dunkelgelb, thinned with Matt Thinner. While everythign was drying, I realized that the set pigments of the filter were good for an initial dust application. So I worked back and forth with the separating filter/wash and intermixed on the run. Lesson learned today: more mixing of products improves the natural appearance. Next I thinned down the pinwash and applied on the Zimmerit, to make the pattern pop

Great thing to have pictures, You are able to see where touchups are needed and oils and enamles allow the correction even 1-2 hours later :D

AcadTurrWeath1.jpg

AcadTurrWeath2.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Carius said:

Great job so far :popcorn:

Thank you Carius. :D

I just managed to jerk the gun recoil unit into the turret. It geta about 18mm of recoil. Looks quite ok, just a bit tweaking with the electronics setting needed now. Her is the picture to show the scale and size difference. Have to order me a close defense weapon and add the clasps to the stowage bin. Then this one is ready to get painted as well.

AcadTurrcomparison.jpg

• Like 2

Ahhhhhhhhh, I spotted the Rothaus in a previous post's picture, how on earth can you drink that? I am having a head ache now!:worry:

Btw: Are you going to cut/drill through the turret vision slits on the 1/16 tiger? 

13 minutes ago, Blaubar said:

Ahhhhhhhhh, I spotted the Rothaus in a previous post's picture, how on earth can you drink that? I am having a head ache now!:worry:

Btw: Are you going to cut/drill through the turret vision slits on the 1/16 tiger? 

The Rothaus Tannenzäpfle is a nice beer, at the right temperature it has a slight buttery mouthfeel. Hmmmmmm. 

I was thinking what to do with the slits, but I thought I would paint the background dark and then fill it with something transparent.

Btw: today I had a bottle of Altenmünster Winterbier dunkel, while I was doing the remaining clasps for the turret bin and ordered some part to finally finish the turret.

Edited by Soeren

I "cut" mine, works well with a super-tiny drill.

I live close to the R*** brewery and we got rid of it at the NC World Cup which we are hosting as it is just so bad^^. You need to freeze it (to disguise its taste), then you can eat it.^^ You should try Waldhaus :) (depending on where you live^^). Winterbier is always good, less hope more malt, alcohol and sweetness to it. Prost. Opening a Fürstenberg Winterbier now, haha. Will try and get a Altenmünster once I am in Stuttgart next week, never had it before.

Hi there, I went ahead and red primed the big gun. Meanwhile I started to paint the mostly built afv club Tiger. Tried a new approach in building up layers. After the red primer it was painted hemp. Then highlighted the with a mix of camo beige 80% and camo brown 10% and dark green 10%. In the end just painted with thinned down camo beige. Have not tried it like that before, but it really adds depth to the details without even a pin wash yet.

WP_20171126_14_57_54_Rich.jpg

WP_20171126_16_14_34_Rich.jpg

WP_20171126_16_15_02_Rich.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

Coming along, yes, thank you Gremlin56

Tried the camo now. It is difficult to guess what it might look like on top when you only get side views. Even more so when two companys have very different interpretations. Both AFV Club and Academy have the 102 in France. But the color schemes look completely different.

I tried it now on the turret. It was even more difficult than expected. Only did have the green on the barrel, because I didnt feel to clean the airbruh once more and to spray brown, so this will need to come in the next run.

AFVclubTigerturretcamo3.jpg

AFVclubTigerturretcamo1.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2