Tiger I x 4

Soeren

Thanks guys, :D. ATM I am waiting for meng nuts to make the bolts and rivets on the storage bin. And some 3mm inner diameter brass tube to reinforce the mantle mount. It won't be much then to start mounting the elevation and recoil unit.

• Like 1

That will be one... But still waiting for the stuff to arrive. So after adding the Zimm to the left and the side viewport covers I went to the bench on my Revel Leo 1A1. Just a bit of painting for the fun inbetween. WP_20171107_19_50_35_Pro2884.jpg

Meng nuts arrived, make the splash bars look much more like the real thing, used the 1.5 mm hex ones. For the stowage binss I will use the round 1.3mm ones. Thought of using MENG rivets. But even the nuts are already sooo tiny, no need to be even smaller, I will just sand them down a bit and might fill the allen key depression to resemble rivets. Its still flimsy and takes some time :/

Splashbar.jpg

rivets.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess it was a hundred bolts now, round about. You see them left sanded down and right as cut from the sheet. This is the ugly part during the build. Intermediate appearance looks quite messy. But the good thing about tanks...

It all comes together during weathering.

Those rivets on the real thing were tiny according to some pictures I saw, so even like this, they are too large. When dirt crusts are applied in the end, I guess there is not much left of this sanding, filling, filing appearance.

rivetslikeyoudontcare.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

On ‎31‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 10:45 PM, Soeren said:

We were discussing camo schemes recently...

Here is the one I am going for. Not sure yet whether 3 tone r three tone. The edges of the brown strips have some thin green lines as a color option.

tiger1_spzabt505.jpg

Russia 1943-44

that second picture looks colorized.....wouldn't use that as a reference.

loving all the Tigers though....

Yes it is colorized for sure. And I know of the precautions to take when considering this as an option. That is why I am not too picky with the colours. I just do what I like in that regard. 

Edit: I was discussing the color and B&W topic in the Jagdpanther thread and showed a decieving example of it. I have also played around with the colored Tiger picture and will post the results in the evening.

Edited by Soeren

According to the Armorama Review this 312 was either 2tone or 3tone, knight red, or green.

Just played with the colour of the picture by tone and temperature calibration to see where there might be the 3rd color. I think it is to see in the colored as well as in the B&W picture, on the behind section of the brown stripe on the turret behind the knight. 

Tiger-I-2505.jpg

Tiger-I-505.jpg

turretcamobw.jpg

turretcamoc.jpg

And maybe its all just wrong. who knows

Edited by Soeren

This is quite some serious modelling! Great effort here and nice colour analysis. 

I pulled my chair, Kreator is filling my ears with music while your build is treating my eyes :), simply perfect.

/Stefan

Thanky Mr. Blaubar. And Kreator is a good choice for music. I have once visited one of their concerts, that was grat fun.

Meanwhile I tried the Revell colour 36116 Sand Matt, which is in the Academy callout for Sandy Yellow. I sprayed it well thinned on a solid black matt basecoat (AK black primer). I wasnt impressed at all. You have to spray it really solid to not make it look blotchy. Then I felt it was much tooo yellow. I had expected more of a beige sand colour. Like on the cover artwork, but it matches the side artwork close to 100%. Im not yet sure though i I want it like that.

Cupola1.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

Seriously? I saw them many times at Wacken and Summer Breeze, Mille is awesome, the crowds are always crazy. HSB time now.

good luck with your color issues. I like it as it is, the yellow.

Started adding the optics. Unfortunately the brass mounts, when placed into the cover like shown in the ABER manual, the opticss wont fit in. So I had to pry them freee again and place the optics, then glue it in place again. some gaps have to be filled in then.

WP_20171111_12_10_50_Rich.jpg

Thanks, well painting will be a moment of truth to see were some filler will be needed to level out the areas of different materials. Also those mounts for the travel lock need to be reworked to have them evenly spaced.

Had some spare time and went ahead some more.

First, resprayed my plasticard to check the colors, after that heavy airbrush cleaning was needed, what a spatter. Also need to test the Revell colors more, thinning and preasure.

What you see here is Revell Sand Matt (16, RAL 1024 according to Revell, Ochre Yellow) called dark yellow in the ACV-Club callout and Yellow Sand in the Academy version. Right brown is the Revell brown 381 RAL 8025 (red brown callout in the Academy kit :weird:), left is the Vallejo brown 41 RAL 8017, which is the correct call. I wonder if Academy messed up, because when they call for the Vallejo color, they use RAL 8017. The Green is Revell 361 RAL 6003. This light brown is odd, the green looks ok. I guess I will try the Vallejo color for the base color, 031 middle stone in the Model Air range. The milk chocolate brown... I dont know

WP_20171112_17_52_04_Rich.jpg

Then it was time to work on the mantlet and pivot points. Added plasticard and added 4mm brass tubes where the 3mm trunions can go in. Filled in the holes on the mantlet and covered the area by .25mm transparent styrene sheet which is quite hard and also helps getting a good fit, now elevation and depression look really well. The gap is nearly gone.

WP_20171112_18_00_54_Rich.jpg

WP_20171112_18_05_53_Rich.jpg

WP_20171112_18_04_14_Rich.jpg

WP_20171112_18_04_37_Rich.jpg

Finally added some more weld beads and there you can also seen the casting effect when the Vallejo putty is covered in paint.

WP_20171112_18_44_06_Rich.jpg

That Revell sand (aka yellow ochre) is too much for me. I just bought the Vallejo paints from the Academy recommendations. Wonder if the guy responsible for the table was drunk. Yellow sand: they call for Model color 821 German camo beige (Model Air equivalent from the conversion chart is 23 Hemp) and Model Air Middlestone 31, a completely different color. I will spray test sheets tonight. 

Colors as labelled sprayed on either red or gray primed sheets.

Interesting right? Which color is it to take, all are from the color callout except for the Hemp, that is Vallejos equivalent to the left color. 

ColorTestlabel.jpg

You're right the Revell Sand is too yellow.  I like the Vallejo #031 but that's pretty yellowish too and it looks good with the brown but the green makes it look even more yellow. 

So I guess the best choice is probably the Camo Beige because the Hemp is way out.  I'm not a camo expert by any means but the beige is probably the best of the 4 choices.

I use nothing but Tamiya acrylics and there aren't a lot of choices.  Usually I use Dark Yellow XF60 but sometimes mix a little white or Deck Tan or even tried some flesh for different tones and 

over sprays but generally spray over a NATO black primer so the yellow tends to be muted.  I have found that green tends to make the yellow look more yellow for some strange reason. The nice thing about the Tamiya is if you blow it some Windex glass cleaner with ammonia takes it right off so you can screw it up again.

Anyway it's your model so whatever color you choose is your choice.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1