Tiger I x 4

Soeren

Hi there,

I happen to have a Taigen Tiger RC Tank. And after my experience with Upgrading the Jagdpanther and Panther G, I thought:"this boy wass expensive and is not a real Tiger" so tried to figure out what to do. 

Hmmm... In the end. It will be 4 Tigers, 2 1/35th scale and 2 1/16th scale. But very different. The one 1/16 will be an upgraded RC tank with all the goodies, A late version. Abteilung 505 Number 312. The other will be a "use up the spares" mid Tiger.

This will be a very long build phase starting with 4 turrets. 

That is what made me think twice

WP_20171017_18_36_04_Pro2634.jpg

WP_20170324_20_53_05_Pro589.jpg

Then it was upgrading

WP_20171025_17_47_32_Rich.jpg

Today this happened

AcademyTiger.jpg

• Like 3

Here is what we have so far. The roof of the Academy Tiger was amended according with the Armorama review. Everything was added to now put the Tamiya Zimmerit on. Some details are different compared to the AFV-Club Tiger. But overall I would say it has more weld lines present, even on the commanders hatch around the covers for the vision blocks. AND it actually has all the vision blocks in the kit as well. Those are missing in the AFV Club kit. The gun is more detailed as well, with both early and late muzzle brakes present. The most obvious missing parts are the 2 supporting strips under the back turret stowage bin. And the gun with its 7 parts is a bit difficult to get straight.

Now the big turret needs the same mods, starting with the thickening of the roof. 

A side not. it was good to find out about the large muzzle brake, now I can get the ABER barrel in 1/16 :).

WP_20171028_23_13_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20171029_11_11_41_Pro.jpg

Turretroofmods.jpg

• Like 1

Went ahead and nearly finished the cupola. The Aber mounts for the optics sit fantastic. Also added two layers of Vallejo puty for the cast texture, let cure for 24h and then very carefuly sand it a bit. Only have to add the hatch jpint protectur and then I can spray the cupola and the optics separate and mount everything.Tigercupola.jpg

• Like 2

We were discussing camo schemes recently...

Here is the one I am going for. Not sure yet whether 3 tone r three tone. The edges of the brown strips have some thin green lines as a color option.

tiger1_spzabt505.jpg

Russia 1943-44

Here it is stalking the woods

Bildergebnis für tiger 312

• Like 3

Thank you for looking guys. I also was thinking about Mr. Badgers idea for the 1/72nd scale Tiger. But after reviewing the kits I couldn't find a reason for that scale yet, maybe I will do a Tamiya 1/48 scale early. But not sure yet.

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

I also was thinking about Mr. Badgers idea

I've been called worse!:P

Awesome work on the turret corrections, Soreen.

Rearguards,

Bladder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Badder said:

I've been called worse!:P

Awesome work on the turret corrections, Soreen.

Rearguards,

Bladder.

Uppps... Sorry, my Autocorrection of my mobile hit hard again Mr. Badder. Is it bad, badd, badder?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackMax12 said:

Where do you get a 1/16 scale horse?

Lloyd

I dont plan to do a Diorama here, not even a vigniette. Havent gotten the one for the JP done yet, will need to finish the tanks first anyway. Have the Aber Tiger gun on the way. Promised myself to not buy upgrade parts that are worth the price of a better Tamiya kit, well here I am , guess what, also ordered the beautifull Schumo Panther G mantlet, yeah, that is what I am  :lalala:

• Like 1

Do you plan on doing interior with this kit, or just exterior? Either way I'm sure that the kit will turn out amazingly as I've only seen a handful of 1/16 KT and 1 or 2 of the Tiger 1's in 1/16. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing this completed. And it's always a shame to have to paint over the metal barrels as I find the barrels works of art by themselves. 

Mark

• Like 1

That barrel thing is so true, as soon as it is painted it will be a lot less amazing. 

The Tiger will get a full interior of servos, tank controler, receiver, battery and metal gear with electro motors. ;)

Edited by Soeren

2 hours ago, Mark Hoffmanly said:

Sounds like a long road ahead of yourself, and when I got the metal barrel for my KT I was tempted to buy one to paint and another to leave as is so that I would be able to change out the two barrels.

Yes, unfortunately you are right about that. It will take some time. But I hope to get the turret ready soon and to be able to start painting those. The Standard Taigen turret will not be modified at all. I first thought about it, but to me it seems it is not worth to put in some more effort. When painted properly it will still look decent.

Morning, work on the turret. Testfitting of the mantlet and filling the gap. Supported by Evergreen profile, the turret front was extended with apoxie scult and the frame amended. The splashguard was then added to give a small gap. But now I have to order another set of Meng nuts, because I cant find my sheet anymore. With the remaining apoxie scults I started weld lines.
Although I used the drawing from the Tiger 1 info page and modified it to the size of the turret, the roof seems to be slightly too small in width.

WP_20171105_08_45_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20171105_11_54_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2