Airfix Fortress III, what are these parts?

Chuck1945

I just got the Airfix Fortress III kit and am wondering what part L11 represents. These are on sprue 'L' that contains the Fortress III specific parts. There are four pieces of L11, two go at each waist window, one forward and one aft. I was also surprised to see the waist position .50 guns installed too, since a night flyer i wouldn't have expected them to be carried.

Gun stops, possibly more necessary at night when you may not be able to see the rest of the aircraft so readily.  According to Martin Streetly's Aircraft of 100 Group "those [B-17]G aircraft fitted with glazed single-piece waist windows seem for the most part to have had them removed, leaving an open position with external and internal windbreaks and gun-stop rails to limit the available field of fire."  "Open, staggered waist windows with gun stops" are correct for BU-E.  

Edited by Seahawk

20 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Gun stops, possibly more necessary at night when you may not be able to see the rest of the aircraft so readily.  According to Martin Streetly's Aircraft of 100 Group "those [B-17]G aircraft fitted with glazed single-piece waist windows seem for the most part to have had them removed, leaving an open position with external and internal windbreaks and gun-stop rails to limit the available field of fire."  "Open, staggered waist windows with gun stops" are correct for BU-E.  

DSC_0092-1.jpg

from