Calm down and count to (Hs) 1, 2, 3. Itareri's finest mojo mangler.

Gorby

Sorry about the essay, but this one needs a bit of an explanation.

When I was a 1/2 scale model of my current self, I didn't do biplanes – they were old fashioned and in my naive, expert opinion they were written off as 'crap'. An open cockpit showed that they were even crapper. I don't know why, but the Hs 123 was allowed a special dispensation. Probably because of the action packed Airfix box art. I've just strained the think muscles and it was my only biplane back then and it has, so far, been my first as a born-again modeller (although there are two more biplanes in my micro-stash).

As the mojo has been at an all time low, I decided to do a quick, out of the box build. That is until I found that the ESCI/Revell/Italeri cockpit is almost entirely a work of fiction. I would have loved doing a Gaspatch, but my budget didn't stretch that far. The Brengun PE was also reject on the same grounds. The only reason this work in progress exists, is that it has turned from a quick mojo restorer, into a minor millstone. I should have shoved it back in the box and never meet it's gaze ever again.

I'm my own worst enemy (although there are others who may believe they deserve that honour, please form a queue). I always think to myself 'how can I improve that', which translates as 'how can I make that as complicated and as time consuming as I possibly can'. I knew that I would have to completely re-scribe it, but after years of running scared of re-scribing, I now find it quite therapeutic, and god knows, I need therapy.

So….

All the flight surfaces were razor sawed off; the cockpit was almost completely scratch built; the engine and exhaust was 'improved'; anything remotely drillable got drilled, anything fillable got filled and I considered buying shares in Albion Alloys.

Most joints needed some degree of filler (a masters degree in some cases) the fit of the parts generally in this kit I would describe as 'grating'. The seem around the engine cowl was an absolute :swear: requiring two hours of careful filing and sanding. I have never had a 'shelf of dooooom', if I start a kit, I finish it, but this kit got me thinking which shelf would be the most appropriate. Not because it was difficult, just because dealing with all the 'fit' problems became dreary. I would do half an hours work on it and then get peed off and stop for the day. The next day I would think 'It can't be that bad', but after another half an hour work, I would realise that it most definitely was. It was progressing like it was being worked on buy a ageing, lethargic sloth, with narcolepsy, which isn't that far from the truth.

To cut a long story short, there are less irritating skin conditions with Latin names than this kit. Each kit should be equip with a tube of antihistamine.

I found that the more filled joints I had to deal with, the more interested I became in the posts on Britmodeller. So basically, this WIP it part motivator, part procrastination. To date, I have worked (and at times it has felt like work) on this for three months and I'm not throwing that time away so FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! I'm nothing if not suborn.

Progress to date:

fd4551e8-205e-4fc5-a31c-70110b76032b.JPG

As always with my scratch building, it's more about getting an essence of reality more than accuracy. The unpainted panels are what the kit provides. The kit also had a full floor (wrong); which the seat is attached to (wrong); there was no forward bulkhead; the instrument panel was flat, featureless and the wrong shape and the joy stick wasn't up to the job. I'm always surprised how duff things look when they are ten times their actual size.

7c28d614-4068-49a9-8e8b-eae85dfd01a9.JPG  407b9d73-6821-4789-bb4a-a854e356f171.JPG

The seatbelts also look much better than in the photo. When I haven't got photo etch belts, I print some off on good quality paper, so these cost about 20p.

2560f207-c8ed-4519-8903-e28c35818ea1.JPG

The rear edge of the cowling has been thinned and the exhaust hollowed out.

79366691-c4d1-4414-a2a1-2c03fafcd603.JPG

Putting these three bars in led to many an interesting word (if I had a swear-box, I would have been able to afford the Gaspatch kit). Also note the three 'straps' around the cowling

6a7c7606-7f8c-41af-a4e1-fe9065630e93.JPG

Words of sympathy welcome, as are contact details of any relevant support group.

Thanks for looking.

Gorby

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Gorby like I’ve said before in other posts. Everyone has a Demon kit (sometimes Italeri sometimes other), But you either give up or beat the snot out of it. Glad to see you chose option B. Your work is well worth the effort 👍. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

• Like 1

My return to the hobby after 35 years away was the Special Hobby Bv 138.  Raised panels.  Ambiguous frame lines on the clear parts.  Negligible interior.  I put some AM MG151 barrels on it, cobbled together a respectable MG131.  And it still don't look as good as yours.  BUt I still feel a bit of pride and I look at it every single day.  Soul Food, I reckon.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The encouragement I received from my previous post, gave me enough of a moral boost to push me to the next stage with this little Schwein. Time to kick some tailplane!

One of the dispiriting aspects to this kit, is that many parts of the original kit seem to suffer from plastic elephantiasis, for which the only cure has been to cast out Italeri's damnable offering and create anew.

This is the kits lumpen excuse for a stirrup step (left). The new ones are a little more delicate and deliberately off centre - so the step is horizontal to the ground (when on the ground) rather than the airframe. Still needs a little tidy up…

979ff099-875e-4797-b228-c2a85a29a82e.JPG

Fitted.

a5c37d8c-ff26-4fb8-96a7-6879495da6ba.JPG

I'm not entirely sure what this is (answers on a postcard to the usual address), but it looked like it needed some drillin.

bfd979a3-9e65-47af-9921-5ea6cddc6ec3.JPG

One of the worst of the supplied parts, was the stabilisers for the drop-tank. The kit part has square section legs that were about four times thicker than they should be.

d0d71392-da98-4a3d-8442-ee54ef2b814a.JPG

One of the few plus point of this kit is that you get five different schemes. I could have gone for a dead simple blue underside and green top; or I could have chosen from a couple of slightly more complicated, but still quite easy, two colour camo schemes.

No.

I went for the most complicated scheme, the three colour splinter camouflage. I just needed to work out how I was going to do it?

Literally the following day, @CedB mentioned that he had bought some spray glue to use on the home-made paint masks he makes by scanning the kit schemes, then scaling and printing. Good idea, but I haven't any spray glue, so I adapted the idea a little.

With the larger bits, I cut 3mm of each edge and marked a line 3mm in from that edge. Then used 6mm masking tape the get it to the correct size and shape.

c7c4bdd9-3893-4013-8db0-f21d429a8c70.JPG

For the smaller bits, I taped the printouts to the underside of a bit of scrap clear sheet, and… you get the idea.

d2f87e41-eee1-44ac-8439-51640e9f8cdb.JPG

I wouldn't say that this made the masking job easy, but it made it much easier and quicker than it would otherwise have been, so thanks Ced.

The end result. Looking a bit clean here, I thought I'd have a go at post-shading for this build.

857806c4-f959-44eb-974f-9ef6c987d1d2.JPG

There are days when you should really put the model down and walk away. Today is just such a day. Although I know it's too soon, I decided that I was going to fit the top wing. The process was messy, but I got there in the end. Then I came to the rigging. There are only four 'simple' rigging wires, but the WWI wingything bods would have wet themselves with the mess I am currently getting into. Admittedly, I can't blame Italeri, this minor nightmare is entirely of my own making.

I hope that the next time this mini monster appears on here, it's a 'ready for inspection' jobbie.

As always, thanks for tuning in - Gorby

• Like 3

You have really beaten the Schwein into submission.  I particularly like your replacement of the kit’s bottle opener with a footstep, though quite how the pilot is going to open his beer now is less clear.  @Corsairfoxfouruncle Is right about yoyr wee drilled tube thingy; venturi to drive instruments (more reliable than a vacuum pump)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gorby said:

I wouldn't say that this made the masking job easy, but it made it much easier and quicker than it would otherwise have been, so thanks Ced.

You're very welcome Gorby - you've certainly used the technique well, that camo looks very sharp :)

• Like 1

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Ex-FAAWAFU & @CedB. I've heard of the Venturi tube but didn't relate it to this part. That raises another question: if it is for the instruments, why is it so far back on the fuselage. Probably something to do with the airflow disruption over the wings or the cowling.

I should have twigged what the step reminded me of – I use one often enough, did make me laugh.

@Kahunaminor, that's one of the nicest modelly thing any one has said to me, so thank you very much. My overall conclusion for this kit can be summed up in just two words, 'get Gaspatch'. If I had realised what a pain in the butt it was going to be, I would have bunged it back on evilbay and sent a begging letter to Santa.

Thanks for your interest and I must get back to whipping this little cur into submission.

Lovely work. I did Airfix's equivalent offering in 1/72. Believe it or not, Airfix's is actually worse, in that it would appear that you didn't have to fill the square-sided trenches that Airfix pass off as how fabric looks when stretched over wing ribs!

22 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Lovely work. I did Airfix's equivalent offering in 1/72. Believe it or not, Airfix's is actually worse, in that it would appear that you didn't have to fill the square-sided trenches that Airfix pass off as how fabric looks when stretched over wing ribs!

Thanks for the compliment @Mitch K! I've done the 1/72 Airfix one myself, but it was over forty years ago, so my standards were somewhat lower in those days. Just had a look at the Airfix kit on Scalemates: tooled in 1970 and they still had the nerve to keep churning it out until 2008! I thought it was great at the time, but being a young teen and no access to any relevant information, I knew no better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I particularly like your replacement of the kit’s bottle opener with a footstep, though quite how the pilot is going to open his beer now is less clear.

Ah, you beat me to it!

That is a fine looking scheme, Gorby; nicely executed. 

• Thanks 1