someone give Airfix Workbench a dictionary

malpaso

Going off at a tangent..... I see that Learstangs avatar is a picture of Georgi Zhukov.

I recently went on a river cruise - from St Petersburg to Moscow - and in Yaroslavl, we moored outboard of a Russian cruise ship called Georgi Zhukov - so we had to pass through her to get to our ship.

day08_57.jpg

The Russian girl on reception thought I was mad when I asked her to move - so I could take this photo.....

day08_59.jpg

.... and his bust....

day08_58.jpg

He was also on his horse in Moscow......

day10_29.jpg

Sorry for the diversion - normal service is now resumed.

Ken

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Drift said:

OP is Pedantic.

Or, if you write the Airfix Workbench posts, peripatetic. 

Anyhow, the charge of pedantry seems to me to strike at the notion that words have some sort of consensus-based meaning. I'm reminded of a famous anecdote about W.S. Gilbert, when Ruddigore opened:

"How is Bloodygore going on?" asked a friend of Gilbert's.
"It isn't Bloodygore", replied Gilbert, "it's Ruddygore."
"Oh, it's the same thing," stated the friend.

"Not at all, for that would mean that if I said that I admired your ruddy countenance, which I do, I would be saying that I liked your bloody cheek, which I don't."

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

They're at it again. Today's Workbench says they have been "inundated with complementary messages" concerning the Blenheim. 

Some good, some bad, I assume.

Messages up the ying-yang, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

.... and his bust....

day08_58.jpg

Bust?  He barely needs a bra! :owww:

or

Bust?  His legs are missing, of course he's bust! :owww::owww:

• Like 2

I have a good friend who likes to say 'really excellent'; I have to gently remind him that this is ever-so-slightly redundant. I'm surprised he's still a good friend.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Nice piccies of the representations of the good Marshal, Ken! My avatar heartily approves.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

Many years ago, my father was in the British Army stationed in Germany.

My grandmother was visiting, and she and my parents attended a Sgts Mess reception for the adjacent German Bundeswehr tank regiment.

She would insist on calling them 'Pansy Grenadiers' - much to my fathers embarrasment!

Ken

• Like 3

I know that language evolves gradually, but the misuse of some words really rankles. My pet hate is "amazing". When the Ohio limped into Valetta harbour, that was amazing. When a B-17, with half of it's tail and tail planes shot away made it back to base, that's amazing. But when a couple perform a dance routine on Strictly.......it's NOT amazing!

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

But when a couple perform a dance routine on Strictly.......it's NOT amazing!

Yes it is.  It's AMAZING that you admitted to watching such awful telly! :tease:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Yes it is.  It's AMAZING that you admitted to watching such awful telly! :tease:

Unfortunately, I'm back in the "old country" staying with family, and I don't get a choice. Normally, I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch SCD. It's a load of :poop:IMHO.

John.

• Like 5

Bit like the overuse of the word "Nice"...

Or the modern trend on faceache/social media of everything being "X saw this and they were amazed/lost it/other inappropriate superlative" only to find a load of clickbait laced with ads.... And guess what? NO PEOPLE ^&£^$ WEREN'T AMAZED/LOST IT/ETC. 

Ahem. 

On 11/6/2017 at 10:13 PM, charlie_c67 said:

Bit like the overuse of the word "Nice"...

'Nice' was a fine word, now destroyed by overuse. Something being a nice fit MEANT something once ! 

No, the OP was not being a pedant - except in the most complimentary sense.

11 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

'Nice' was a fine word, now destroyed by overuse. Something being a nice fit MEANT something once ! 

No, the OP was not being a pedant - except in the most complimentary sense.

Yes, but I like eating Nice biscuits when having a cup of tea.

On 27/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, malpaso said:

"Although perhaps not as enigmatic as the Spitfire, modellers have welcomed the new Walrus..."

I think I've just cracked the clue. Airfix are teasing us that they are about to release the first ever model of what is surely the most enigmatic aircraft of all time: The Farley Fruitbat.

Although a 1:72 model would be the obvious choice, a usually reliable source has told me that Airfix are actually planning to produce it at 24:1, making the model about 360m long. Eduard have plans for some aftermarket but are having problems sourcing sufficient brass.

• Haha 3