FAA Avenger MkI, 854 Sqn plus flight Deck Tractor

Hi folks,

I have just completed this Grumman Avenger MkI of 854 Sqn, HMS Illustrious, early 1945. Flown by Lt. D.P Davies. It took part in Operation Meridian and continued to serve on Op Iceberg. 854 Sqn. had previously served along the Channel front back in the UK and along with the TAG L/Air Shirmer this crew managed to down a V-1 doodlebug on 9 Jul 1944, hence the kill marking.

The kit is the Hobbyboss FAA Avenger kit. of course there isn't much about it out of the box that is FAA. The observers windows came from an Accurate Miniatures kit, the rear cockpit was created from plasticard and has a seat, spare control column, instrument panel etc. The rocket mounting brackets were deleted, seatbelts added all over, EZ wire for aerials.

_MG_7172

_MG_7173

_MG_7175

_MG_7176

_MG_7178

I used Maketar masks for the lettering and some roundels. Others I made myself. The paint scheme is MAP TSS, with dull dark green cockpit and interior green elsewhere. Inside the cowling is grey. Black Ammo primer was used plus assorted Winsor and Newton oils.

_MG_7179

_MG_7180

A mixture of kit bombs and Eduards 500lb US bombs.

_MG_7182

_MG_7185

_MG_7186

_MG_7187

The flight deck tractor is by F4 models and is a resin kit.

Thanks for looking and thanks to those who contributed on this thread who have aided me: 

Cheers

Nick

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Avenger good to see the FAA version is there a dedicated 1/48 FAA kit available?? 

Guy 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, F4u said:

Very nice Avenger good to see the FAA version is there a dedicated 1/48 FAA kit available?? 

Guy 

Thanks! Well HB sell it as an FAA version but the kit itself is no different from a TBF-1b. The only thing they have provided are decals which aren't very good! The observers window which was present on most FAA avengers has been completely left out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Thanks! Well HB sell it as an FAA version but the kit itself is no different from a TBF-1b. The only thing they have provided are decals which aren't very good! The observers window which was present on most FAA avengers has been completely left out.

Thanks for that I should have said a more accurate FAA kit but you answered my question , once again well done with a superb looking Avenger.

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iang said:

Really lovely Avenger, Nick. It's one of the best I've seen .

Just one thing - your description dates the aircraft "Dec. 1945" I think you mean December 1944:think:

Whoops, well spotted! Cheers for your help Ian.

Atb

Nick

Very nice indeed, painted & weathered to perfection. The tug is cute!

Accurate Miniatures included the bulged observer's window, I did it in a FAA scheme many months ago. I think it's available as a re-box, possibly by Italeri.

Pete

• Like 1

Hello Nick,

My compliments on this excellent build. It was a joy to look at the pictures.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1