Thunderbirds are go!!! TB1, TB2, TB4, and launch/container bays

you are doing a grand job painting these bearing in mind how small they are. You have made them look very realistic, given that the kit parts start off looking very crude and Christmas cracker toy like to begin with.

excellent modelling

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit of time on this this-morning, so have begun getting some paint down on the bay itself. Pre-shading first, and then assembled and attached the control room.

39199874822_b5cd46b4d0_c.jpg

Stickers for the inside, just a quick shot before getting masked.

39227808991_d146288b94_c.jpg

Base coat on. Next up will be picking out some of the details and painting up the support columns and gantries. 

39227808341_de82a8b367_c.jpg

• Like 6

Looks great. I really love a diorama 'set'. I've got a couple of the Macross Armoured Hanger sets that I should really stop using as loft insulation and do something with (though space is an issue as they're each about 10" across). 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blastvader said:

(though space is an issue as they're each about 10" across)

I've got plenty of space in the mancave.

(Just saying....)

James, the bay is coming along nicely.

I always wondered though, who did man the control rooms?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this...?

• Haha 1

After a busy Christmas, and decorating the spare bedroom I've finally got round to getting bit more done on the container dock. 

I gave the girder columns an undercoat of black, followed by gunmetal, gunmetal pipework and copper areas picked out. Walkways are also now primed. Once they're on, I'll get it all varnished ready for decals, after which I will decide if I want to add some more colours and details before finally weathering it.  

39363352341_e233d662d9_c.jpg

Santa was very kind this year and has added Thunderbird 3 & Launch Bay as well as the ill-fated (but sexy) Fireflash passenger jet. 

38655611484_f49692a8eb_c.jpg

38485936625_8f1684b4c3_c.jpg

• Like 7

A bit of weathering done. Wasn't sure what to do really, so just added some washes to the pipework and girders. I have left the masking tape on the windows until I can convince myself it's finished. Any C&C/suggestions/alterations/additions would be really greatly appreciated.

39368581352_4c56bf245c_b.jpg

• Like 6

Now that the container bay is ~finished, it's on to what I was looking forward to the most when I started this build. Thunderbird 2. Like many kids, TB2 was always my favourite, and the dream of one day becoming a puppet and getting to fly it was always top of my agenda. Sadly, I'm still a real boy... I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret...

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in sprue shots, but just in case, this is what comes in the box. Unsurprisingly, some of the sprues are somewhat familiar, having been included in the container dock set.

Thunderbird 4 and decals, plus pod decals.

25571541088_496770796c_c.jpg

Upper and lower main body of TB2

39441407991_f9785c185c_c.jpg

Cockpit exterior/nose section top view

25571541468_c06446d983_z.jpg

underside view

25571541508_20c0108319_z.jpg

and from the front. Nasty seam running around it. 

38563083035_6aa6fc7d73_z.jpg

Tail section, rocket/jets, front and rear hull sections

25571542018_f305c6b49d_c.jpg

The pod sprue, as per the container dock set.

25571542328_b194f8befc_c.jpg

Finally, the clear parts for TB2 and TB4 cockpit windows.

25571540828_ce312764d6.jpg

I'm going to rescribe the panel lines, as they're all raised, and I can see a lot getting removed in the process of joining the two halves, and from removing the seam around the nose section. Trouble is, I don't have any tools for the job, nor have I ever done it before. I'll hit the googles later for some guides, but any advice or tips, or product recommendations (bearing in mind I live on the bottom corner of the world, would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll work on getting the cockpit painted and sealed up, and make a start on filling the inevitable joins.

Cheers

James

Edited by James B
missed a close tag
  • Like 4

coming on nicely - that cutting mat under T2 really brings the size of the kit to life

Hangar looks beautiful as does your Mole and Firefly. Looking forward to seeing T3 and the Fireflash completed too.

Tracy Island coming alive all over again

• Thanks 1

The two halves of the main fuselage are together, and my goodness are there some gaps. A lot of filler and sanding later and we have the below. Needs some more filler and some more sanding, and then finishing off with a finer grade sandpaper along the seams.  While the filler dried I also made a start on the cockpit and just after taking these pics had a go with my new Tamiya scribing tool. Things have not gone well, as I wasn't able to source any dymo plastic tape locally. They seem to have moved more into thermal printing tape instead, which is frustrating. I tried stacking masking tape, but it was just too soft and frayed at the edges.

25571541128_b4efc607c2_c.jpg

25571540598_7acce48b73_c.jpg

25571540238_fe049997ab_c.jpg

Please do chip in with your thoughts, suggestions, tips and advice, as well as anything else relevant you like. I'm still very much a newbie, and have gained a lot of knowledge from build threads like this. My hope is that in the future, someone will come across this and find it a good source for building these kits. However, I have very little useful advice to give, and so that's where the rest of you come in :) (Plus selfishly, it'll help me! :rofl:

Edited by James B
  • Like 2

Nice.

The seam around the nose, got a 6 inch steel ruler?

Use one edge of that, as if you're peeling spuds.

The panel lines, use a straight piece of plastic card as a guide.

On some plastic, if you sand away the raised lines you will see a

faint line in the plastic where it used to be. Could be worth a try.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice.

The seam around the nose, got a 6 inch steel ruler?

Use one edge of that, as if you're peeling spuds.

The panel lines, use a straight piece of plastic card as a guide.

On some plastic, if you sand away the raised lines you will see a

faint line in the plastic where it used to be. Could be worth a try.

Thanks for the really great advice @Pete in Lincs.

I haven't heard of using a steel ruler in that way to clean up mould lines and I'll certainly give it a go on a future build (I've already sanded the seam back now). The one thing I'm enjoying about this hobby is experimenting with new techniques and products, so I'm actually excited to give this a go!  I usually scrape with a modelling knife in much the same way, but have recently started using fine grit sand paper instead for larger areas. I think there's definitely a place for both ways of doing it, depending on the underlying surface detail. The knife way works great on small detailed areas as there's a bit more control and ability to get into little recesses. Sand paper seems to be best suited to large flat areas as the risk of losing detail is quite high. It's also difficult to get into corners. Your steel ruler technique will be really interesting for me to see where it fits in all this. What makes the ruler a better device than a knife? Is it just that because there's little risk of slipping and damaging the model or yourself, you can press a bit harder and go a bit quicker?

As for the plastic card, it's not something I've ever used. I don't have any lying around to give it a go. With the panel lines running across curves, would the plastic card bend around them easily? How malleable is it?  Would you suggest using double sided tape or something similar to help hold it in place?

• Like 1

You had to go and make me buy the TB3 kit with the Launch Bay didn't you? :)

It arrived today from Japan, I'm astonished at how fast it got here since I ordered it last Friday! Slipped past HMRC as well so no ransom demand! from the Post Office!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

You had to go and make me buy the TB3 kit with the Launch Bay didn't you? :)

It arrived today from Japan, I'm astonished at how fast it got here since I ordered it last Friday! Slipped past HMRC as well so no ransom demand! from the Post Office!

Excellent, on all accounts!  I order a fair bit of stuff from Japan and it usually arrives (in NZ) faster than items I order locally. I ordered something on a Wednesday evening a year or so ago, only for it to arrive on the following Friday morning, less than 48 hours after I ordered it! I couldn't believe it, so I triple checked the tracking info, and the postage labels, and sure enough Japan straight to Christchurch, skipping the usual delays in Auckland.

I can't wait to see your TB3 launch bay come together. I might accidentally build Fireflash after this one is finished, and if you still haven't started, I'll have to accidentally take my time finishing Fireflash! That way I'll be able to steal all your excellent ideas, and techniques! *Cue evil laugh*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The steel rule technique is an old trick we used to use 

when trimming aluminium panels for aircraft repair.

It gives a similar result as using the back of a knife blade

(Stanley knife (box cutter) or scalpel) but it is safer because

there isn't a cutting edge to slice your fingers.

Plastic card. If you can't get sheets of the real stuff then look

around and check out food packaging for instance. It's surprising

what you can find if you look at things from a different angle.

The thicker the stuff is, the less flexible it is. Yes, double sided tape 

should do the trick. Light cuts at first, experiment on scrap first though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1