Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Warspite

Finished this off earlier this year. My second ever 1/350 build, the only additions being some brass railings. Other than that it is out of the box. 

Having done this Trumpeter version, I'd probably recommend the Academy one as there are some problems and errors in this kit. The most notable being the massively over sized propellers, the very basic cranes, mislabeling of parts  along with other more minors issues that gave the impression this kit was rushed when it was designed. The colour guides were also pretty terrible. A lot was learned in this kit which I'll take with me to the next one.

It's also worth noting that there are no aftermarket sets for this kit. There are only ones for the Academy kit.

17862316_1014864765280494_38271766095741

17903699_1014864801947157_70048224103129

17862778_1014864785280492_40325991978885

• Like 26

• ArtickWarspite changed the title to Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Warspite

Oh, fantastic job on the old lady! I wasn't even aware that Trumpeter made a 1/350 Warspite kit, wonder why you ended up going with it instead of Academy. Obviously there is some PE involved here, railings and smokestack, anything else? And to be honest I didn't even notice the clunky plastic cranes, as you've done such an amazing job here, especially the painting looks terrific! :worthy:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Overpin said:

Oh, fantastic job on the old lady! I wasn't even aware that Trumpeter made a 1/350 Warspite kit, wonder why you ended up going with it instead of Academy. Obviously there is some PE involved here, railings and smokestack, anything else? And to be honest I didn't even notice the clunky plastic cranes, as you've done such an amazing job here, especially the painting looks terrific! :worthy:

Thanks, yes they made one back in 2012-ish. I only got this one as it was heavily discounted, and the Academy one wasn't available at the time. 

The kit comes with some basic PE which include AA gun shields, smoke stack top and railing for the admirals cabin. I added the White Ensign RN railings as separate. 

The trumpeter cranes are moulded plastic whereas the Academy ones are PE in the box. 

The Academy kit is in my stash now, so next time I make one, I'll add all the aftermarket bits to it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:19 PM, Kris B said:

Excellent job. Paint work is stunning, I like the shades you get on it. Do you remember the paints which you used? 

I used the Testors Model Master acrylic range. They have a few RN colours in their range now, though I don't think they have been widely publicised. 

They were;

4693 Aircraft Grey for the lighter grey on the hull

4869 Dark Grey RN as the dark grey on the hull

4870 Light Grey RN for the top of the superstructure

4867 Navy Blue on upper floor areas of the superstructure

4697 Tan & 4673 Wood mix for the deck

4868 Hull Red & Tamiya XF9 Hull Red mix for the hull. (These were the wrong colours). You'd be better off using 4714 Insignia Red.

The convoluted and tiny paint guide this ship comes with took a bit of deciphering, but I found these were closest bottle colours as the guide suggests mixing colours. Sides, it stands to reason that the Testors RN paints would be suited to a RN ship.

I pre shaded as much as possible, and on the hull added a drop of white to the greys to highlight certain areas, then used some pastels to weather everything at the end and to darken & lighten certain areas. 

Hope that helps!