Academy 1/48 F-4C Phantom

This is one that was finished off about a year ago. Looking back, the most memorable things about this kit were that the undercarriage and wheel bays were needlessly difficult, the pilots were a very tight fit into the cockpit, the one piece fuselage was a great idea, and the amount of decals was the catalyst to begin ship building as there are hardly any on a ship. It took nearly a month to decal this thing.

17883723_1014861528614151_80926823654258

17903439_1014861561947481_72554691810708

17903843_1014861615280809_92231041591110

17757454_1014861648614139_85604919686405

17861937_1014861691947468_89995497711432

• Like 47

AW- One of the nicest F4C's I have seen in any scale. Beautifully restrained weathering and panel lines- looks like it's ready for Robin to kick the tires and light the fires! Well done, and a wonderful tribute to a fighter pilot's fighter pilot- well done!

Mike

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

AW- One of the nicest F4C's I have seen in any scale. Beautifully restrained weathering and panel lines- looks like it's ready for Robin to kick the tires and light the fires! Well done, and a wonderful tribute to a fighter pilot's fighter pilot- well done!

Mike

Hello,Mike - I totally agree with you.She’s Phabulous!😉👍All The Best,Paul.

• Like 1

Lovely Phantom. Was my favourite plane when I was a kid, then I got into WWII fighters. Sorry it drove you to ship building, though I hope you are enjoying it. I got a Phantom in the stash and if I get the decals and transfers I am looking for, it may take a month to apply them too. I'll stick to planes though B)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Thanks for the kind words, it makes all that time and effort totally worth it! ☺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wlad said:

Lovely Phantom. Was my favourite plane when I was a kid, then I got into WWII fighters. Sorry it drove you to ship building, though I hope you are enjoying it. I got a Phantom in the stash and if I get the decals and transfers I am looking for, it may take a month to apply them too. I'll stick to planes though B)

Yeah all those little underside decals became quite tedious which proved the catalyst for change. It was a pretty good reason to try building a ship.

"It took nearly a month to decal this thing" but it looks great and well worth the time, give it another month and you will be able to see normaly again!

As an ex F4 engineer to me it looks great.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

Thanks for the kind words, it makes all that time and effort totally worth it! ☺

One other thought- how did you get the pilot's oxygen mask to fit over the handlebar moustache?

Mike

Yes, I know- I'm one sick puppy!

• Like 1

If scale modelling is reproducing the real thing, only smaller, then this one would define scale modelling.

Everything looks just right, fit and finish, details, colours, the whole nine yards. A beutiful model.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

If scale modelling is reproducing the real thing, only smaller, then this one would define scale modelling.

Everything looks just right, fit and finish, details, colours, the whole nine yards. A beautiful model.

Tony.