Yet another spitfire post. Mk VI this time

Well after finishing the Eduard XVI,  I realised I didn't have a Mk VI in the collection.  One ebay bid later (thanks BlackMike) I had one in my hands.  

What a difference the AZ kit is compared to the Eduard kits.  

I ended up replacing the prop and spinner; wheels and a few other bits from the spares box (all Eduard) and the 20mm barrels  are metal ones from Master(?).

the colour of the codes look a bit light in the photos.  

Well one more to tick off the list.  

Tim

hKv47vZ.jpg

GDunpvX.jpg

7SgVXlr.jpg

QtW671n.jpg

UciUd1z.jpg

HTZ3OE1.jpg

• Like 21

Fishbed,

Very nice! There's something about the Mk VI, with that 4-bladed prop and  extended wingtips on a Mk Vb airframe, that gives it a nasty look. Very clean build, and the AZ kit looks to be a good one. Well done!

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Fishbed,

Very nice! There's something about the Mk VI, with that 4-bladed prop and  extended wingtips on a Mk Vb airframe, that gives it a nasty look. Very clean build, and the AZ kit looks to be a good one. Well done!

Mike

Steady on old chap, Spitfire, nasty, two words that should never be used together, I think purposeful is about as strong as is needed here. ;):D

Steve.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Steady on old chap, Spitfire, nasty, two words that should never be used together, I think purposeful is about as strong as is needed here. ;):D

Steve.

Steve- here in the Colonies, nasty has a very positive connotation when referring to an airplane, automobile, or female....purposeful? That's like saying a Tiffy was "rather pugnacious."  or a Rolls-Royce Merlin at full bore was "somewhat melodious." Ha! Cheers, mate!

Mike

• Haha 1

I can agree on the Tiffie, but Brutish might be better, likewise the Merlin but personally I'd go for Glorious. IMHO only planes with black crosses & red discs were ever nasty, least in the comics I read while growing up in the farthest flung "Dominion" of the Empire. :);)

Steve.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beard said:

That's very smart. Did you find the wingtips a real pain?

They were not to bad as long as you make sure both mating surfaces are sanded flat.  I did try a set of spare eduard extended wing tips, but they are so much thinner that the AZ ones, any extra detail on them would have been covered in filler so not much point using them.

Tim

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Very nice Spitfire...

Huh did'nt have a Mk VI in my collection !

Another to tick on my to do list ! :coolio:

You did great on this one, congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello,

Very nice Spitfire...

Huh did'nt have a Mk VI in my collection !

Another to tick on my to do list ! :coolio:

You did great on this one, congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

CC- Just take the Mk Vb kit of your choice, find a pair of extended wingtips from another kit, use a four blade Rotol prop and spinner from a two-stage Merlin Spit kit, and fill/sand the canopy rails, as the Mk VI canopy was locked into place by the ground crew and did not slide; you will need to add an elongated intake for the cabin compressor on the RH side under the exhaust stacks, and I believe they all had the internal armored windscreen. Don't forget to fill in the entry door panel lines, as the Mk VI didn't use it. I bet you have all the bits but the cabin compressor intake in your spares bin! It is a neat-looking little spud! I have attached a link from the Spitfire website that shows a very nice 1/48 conversion from a Mk Vb that will serve as a better reference, as the above is all off the top of my head, and being pointed, stuff tends to slide off!

Mike

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-hf-mk-vi-conversion-in-148-scale.html

• Thanks 1