!/48 Lanc "No enemy aircraft..." nose art for P+OS

pat d

Hello all, has anyone done after market decals for Lancaster P+OS with the "No enemy will fly over the Reich territory..." in 1/48 to replace the decals for the Tamiya kit? I have searched around but no joy. I would have thought that this famous a/c would have had aftermarket decals for these markings. Perhaps someone out there in the Britmodeller ether knows of some....

Thanks in advance, 

Pat D

Why do you need replacements?

The Tamiya kit has a load of faults, including the upperwing roundels size,  but I've not seen complaints about the PO-S nose art.
There won't be AM decals if they kit ones are reasonably accurate and useable. 

Yes, Tamiya decals are thick,  but this is how Japanese decals work apparently

see this guide  if that's the problem.

I've not checked the accuracy personally,  if that's the problem perhaps you could

HTH

PS this got me curious....

wartime colour,  on completion of 100 missions (12 bombs per row)

Lancaster_PO_S.jpg

original kit decals

lancasterdecals1.jpg

note,  the decals look closer to the real wartime tally  than R5868 as diplayed now

10493149403_2808d23b5d_b.jpg

• Like 2

The wartime photograph of S Sugar above is taken, I believe, well before its final operation. This would lead to the RAF museum bomb tally being a longer one. The wartime photograph shows her without Rebecca and with needle blades and, if I see correctly, the shallow bomb aimer's blister. The museum photograph shows her with paddle blades and Rebecca, as well as the later blister variant.

However, The final, known wartime photograph indicates she finished with flat frame side windows, not the ones shown in the two photographs above.

Thorne's Lanaster at War:4 has a series of photographs of this machine in its 83 and 467 Sqn variations.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers

On 26/10/2017 at 00:53, Troy Smith said:

the decals look closer to the real wartime tally  than R5868 as diplayed now

34 minutes ago, Michael Enright said:

This would lead to the RAF museum bomb tally being a longer one. T

What I meant  was "as displayed now"  the bomb tally has been repaintedthe shape,and and style of bombs is different.

the repainted ones are vertical, slimmer and more  widely spaced,   which I thought was obvious from the photos posted.

A repaint is  not surprising as R5868  spent a long time outside Scampton as a gate guardian,  while searching up pics for this there was mention of various  work the musuem has done to reverse and repair corrosion from this time.

The OP still has not clairified his original issue with the decals.

cheers

T

Thank you for your replies, I am a bit late getting back to the thread. I have the Tamiya kit which I purchased at Hendon a number of years ago, I know that the Tamiya decals are thick and was looking for some more modern decals that would go down over the surface detail of the kit without so much of a fight. I would not even attempt to use the upper wing roundels. I also seem to remember something about the fuselage codes being somewhat off, but I do not know it that is accurate. I have not had much luck with Tamiya decals printed 25 years ago, their newer production decals work much better with the hot water treatment. The yellowing I can deal with by taping to a double glass window facing the sun. I was hoping when they re-issued the kit a few years ago that they would reprint the original decals but they did not.

I was just surprised that Xtradecal, or one of the other mainline high tech decal companies had not issued these particular decals. Dambuster decals were issued plus a number of Lanc decals in the past few years.

Thanks again!