1/24 Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3

Was thinking of getting one of these but the price put me off a bit, although it looks very nice detail there from the sprue shots.

What are the flecks like size wise in the zero paint, as the real thing looks almost matt with no metalic flakes from what i've seen from a few pictures

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 at 16:56, colin said:

Was thinking of getting one of these but the price put me off a bit, although it looks very nice detail there from the sprue shots.

What are the flecks like size wise in the zero paint, as the real thing looks almost matt with no metalic flakes from what i've seen from a few pictures

Reference to the zero paint, although I have no real reference to the original paint that was used on the car, from my experience of spraying the zero paint product I found that it seemed a little out of scale due to the size of the mica particles in the paint, i.e it seemed a little too big and sparkly for a 1/25 scale car. However I did have another Mercedes grey in stock which I would've used instead of the zero paint (if I was going to gloss coat the car), but because I'm going to matt lacquer the car after decals are fitted, I am sure it will knock back the sparkle effect to give it a more original look. I therefore would not recommend the zero paint for a car of this scale. Also I am not sure that my final colour would appear to be correct, as I painted the zero paint over a black base coat, which has give it a slightly darker tint, however overall I quite like the look of it. I will be posting some updates soon, hope this helps.

Hi everyone, just a quick update on the Mercedes AMG build. Well I finally got some time to start this kit last week, as you can see it's coming together pretty quickly. The fit of the parts is so far superb, no issues in that department. However the zero paint is way off I think, it's too sparkly compared with the pics that I've seen of the original car. Also I sprayed it over a black base coat, so the final colour may be a shade darker than intended. However I am not too bothered by the colour, I think once it has had another flat clear coat, it should look pretty good. 

As usual with Tamiya decals, they were very thick and I had a hard time getting the carbon fiber looking decals to conform to the front spoiler shape. I had no problems with the body stripes, they just needed some setting solution to bed them into the curved air intake that is behind the front wheel arches. I did not use the decals for the center column as they looked to toy like, so I used a few bits of scrap photo etch to give a little bit more realism. I hope to finish the build next week at some point. Hope you enjoy the progress so far.

D97yO63.jpg
pGYDLi6.jpg
XtAhJ14.jpg
6K1MZSv.jpg
xN4VB0H.jpg
TeES4zG.jpg
mD1mKre.jpg
mqivtB8.jpg
Bwv9LWF.jpg
DUT86Fg.jpg
0kshQd4.jpg
mnq7CYI.jpg
pNTMadQ.jpg
j8X8MU3.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Hi Lee,

Was wondering what you thought of the kit in terms of its complexity and detail?  I've got one in my stash but compared to the aoshima gtr I'm eyeing up for my next build, it seems a bit........ overpriced??  I know it will go together well and look decent but as a kit it seems rather basic with a lot of simplified detail.  @ nearly £50.00 I just don't see the value..... curious to know what others think.  Nice build btw 😊

On 20/11/2017 at 20:54, KonaDawg said:

Hi Lee,

Was wondering what you thought of the kit in terms of its complexity and detail?  I've got one in my stash but compared to the aoshima gtr I'm eyeing up for my next build, it seems a bit........ overpriced??  I know it will go together well and look decent but as a kit it seems rather basic with a lot of simplified detail.  @ nearly £50.00 I just don't see the value..... curious to know what others think.  Nice build btw 😊

Hi, I'm sure that the Aoshima kit will be just as good as the Tamiya kit. I think you are correct that it is a little bit overpriced for what you get, they could've included some photo etch and some Cartograf decals as the Tamiya ones, especially the carbon fiber pattern decals are way too thick whereas the Cartograf ones would've been a lot easier to work with. Hope that helps.