neat colour photo of He111, sea strike scheme?

Troy Smith

while on image searching,  found this

6451253083_52b1e12b0f_b.jpg

it's linked to @Etiennedup  , he did a very good model of it,  but couldn't find the details of where/when the photo is  from.

@FalkeEins  maybe would  know as well?

Not one I remember seeing,    without the background  I'd  have guessed a winter scheme,  but this looks mediterranean,  and in allied hands, so I presume this is some maritime scheme?

I'm  sure it'sold news to some,  hope of interest.

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

6451253083_52b1e12b0f_b.jpg

This kind of paint scheme always amazes me.  We go the extra mile to be as neat as our ability allows - and they go and do this :doh:

Pass the Tippex please :lol:

Smashing picture though Troy. :clap2:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BIG X said:

This kind of paint scheme always amazes me.  We go the extra mile to be as neat as our ability allows - and they go and do this :doh:

Pass the Tippex please :lol:

Just adopt the Rolf Harris "Splinge-splonge...can you guess what it is yet?" technique and it'll be great!

Fantastic image.  Thanks for sharing, Troy. 

Any suggestions as to the variant of He111?  'Fraid I'm not up to speed on my Heinkels (but at least I know it's not a Messerschmitt!).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

'Fraid I'm not up to speed on my Heinkels (but at least I know it's not a Messerschmitt!).

WOT - it's not a Messerschmitt :doh:

It's a late model H - there isn't enough visible for me to be more precise.  It's unlikely to be a maritime scheme, but it does look reminiscent of some of the schemes applied to the aircraft in use as transports, which is more likely for an He111 at this late stage of the war.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

I've got a 1/48 he111 h something in the stash.  Was going to do it as a med torpedo bomber but this looks much more interesting.  Anyone with colour vision that works (unlike me) could advise on the colours?

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It's a late model H - there isn't enough visible for me to be more precise. 

Late model for me is H-20 for example - this is not so late - so perhaps H6? What looks ambigousely at first photo became clear on second - this is no a turret, just a regular early H style blister on top of fuselage 

Gents,

This machine is an He 111 H-16 WNr.161392 coded A1+CT of 9./III./KG 53. It was discovered at Le Bourget, France, in August 1944.  The camouflage is 70/71/65 with large irregular mottles of very lightened RLM 76.  Undersides were painted black over RLM 65.  This was an increasing common scheme - with many application styles - seen in photos of He 111 H-16s and H-20/22s flown by KG 4, KG 53, and KG 55 from the summer of 1944 to war's end when they were used for transportation duties.

Cheers,

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3