Canadair T33

camper1

Hi Folks

Would anyone have any details on the upper surface camouflage pattern used on the T33AN during the early 1960s.

I am using the Canuck Model Products for the decals but the instructions camouflage pattern for the aircraft differs dramatically from the 2 photo's I have showing the fuselage and tail.

The aircraft being modelled will have the serial number 21607 which I saw at Prestwick along with many others of the type, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

The problem is that, according to Patrick Martin (who published the two RCAF Finish and Markings books), there were no official drawings to be found of the pattern - of which there were at least two apparently. I have posted a link to Belcher Bits website. Mike did decals for this scheme also and shows the upper surface pattern in his instructions. As you didn't post a picture of 21607 I don't know if it matches up with your photos. His reference for the pattern - stated in the instructions - is IPMS Canada RT.

http://www.belcherbits.com/images/decals/bd24inst.pdf

Edited by TBC

Hi There

Sorry not to be in touch sooner ref. the T33 query,first of all thanks for the assistance.

I have printed off the info ref the Belcher decals and seem to have opened a can of worms, the info says that there were two camo schemes but I seemed to have discovered another two variations.

However I have enough now to finish the model and would like to thank you again for your help.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Martin

Thanks for replying,I already had that picture you sent the link to in fact it may well be the next project to show the same aircraft in both schemes.

I was a young aircraft spotter in the early sixties and have great memories of hovering around Scottish Aviation and creeping through dozens of RCAF aircraft on the airfield and incredibly saddened to see the Sabres and CF100S chopped up en masse.

Great days though.

The build is now well advanced and ready for decalling,thanks o those who replied to the query

Cheers

Ian

On 2017-10-29 at 10:49 AM, camper1 said:

Hi There

Sorry not to be in touch sooner ref. the T33 query,first of all thanks for the assistance.

I have printed off the info ref the Belcher decals and seem to have opened a can of worms, the info says that there were two camo schemes but I seemed to have discovered another two variations.

However I have enough now to finish the model and would like to thank you again for your help.

Cheers

Ian

There were two RCAF camo paint schemes, there were variations of those camo colors. This was due to most of the paint schemes being applied at their operational bases and not in factories.

Canuck models had photo references for all the schemes depicted on their decal sheet. I have those references somewhere.

Later in their service life, the Canadian Forces painted two other variations of the CT-133 camo scheme. Those CAF schemes were standardized and documented.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

There were two RCAF camo paint schemes, there were variations of those camo colors. This was due to most of the paint schemes being applied at their operational bases and not in factories.

Canuck models had photo references for all the schemes depicted on their decal sheet. I have those references somewhere.

Later in their service life, the Canadian Forces painted two other variations of the CT-133 camo scheme. Those CAF schemes were standardized and documented.

I understand the camouflage instructions issued by officials could be misinterpreted and I also know that some T33s were painted on base and some by SAL.

As previously mentioned the Canuck decals do differ considerably from the actual aircraft in the following areas.

1]The tip of the tail would appear to be a non standard grey, looks like a charcoal grey to me.

2]There is no black band on the tail of 21607.

3There is green paint on the tail of 21607, no paint shown on the decal instructions

4]The undersurface demarcation line is wrong,The PRU blue is much higher.

The photo's shown for reference come from an excellent website called Prestwick Memories run by a gentleman called Neil Aird who I must have seen or known at Prestwick all those years ago but I can't put a face to.

.BuiA7rG.jpg
U0m0p0Q.jpg
dqDs7W7.jpg

• Like 2

Ian,

I have taken the full shot of 21607 and marked it up. Your photo of 21607 appears to have the same general pattern as 21509 in the Belcher Bits instructions but with some subtle variations as opposed to completely different with respect to Canuck Models. It has the high demarcation (see red lines) and the PRU Blue extends up and into the intake. It would also appear as though the tip tanks were fully camouflaged. The black area on the nose is a different shade than the upper colour on the starboard tip tank which appears to be the same shade as the green areas in the camo pattern. Also, it does not appear as though 21607 has had the VHF to UHF radio upgrade - circa 1960. This resulted in a cooling vent installed on both sides of the nose in the area circled in black. I have blown the image up and manipulated the settings and cannot see evidence of a vent. Of note is the white blind on the port side of the inner, rear canopy sill as these Silver Stars were used as check trainers. It was mounted on curved rails and was pulled up and over and secured on the starboard side for blind flying. Any idea on date of photo?

Edit:

If you look at the photo of 21607 in the link posted by Martin (RidgeRunner) above, you'll see that by this time (11/05/1963) is has received the radio upgrade. Look up and to the left of the "6" and you'll see a dark horizontal line a few inches long - it's a shadow. The sun is directly overhead and the bulged vent is creating a shadow on its underside.

aaEvbW.jpg

Edited by TBC

3 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

judging the timeframe of the photo,   look at the squadron code of the Sabre next to it, I would say '58, no later than '59.

only a guess.

Tony

And a 439 Sabre VI at that!

• 2 years later...
On 11/2/2017 at 9:08 AM, TBC said:

Ian,

I have taken the full shot of 21607 and marked it up. Your photo of 21607 appears to have the same general pattern as 21509 in the Belcher Bits instructions but with some subtle variations as opposed to completely different with respect to Canuck Models. It has the high demarcation (see red lines) and the PRU Blue extends up and into the intake. It would also appear as though the tip tanks were fully camouflaged. The black area on the nose is a different shade than the upper colour on the starboard tip tank which appears to be the same shade as the green areas in the camo pattern. Also, it does not appear as though 21607 has had the VHF to UHF radio upgrade - circa 1960. This resulted in a cooling vent installed on both sides of the nose in the area circled in black. I have blown the image up and manipulated the settings and cannot see evidence of a vent. Of note is the white blind on the port side of the inner, rear canopy sill as these Silver Stars were used as check trainers. It was mounted on curved rails and was pulled up and over and secured on the starboard side for blind flying. Any idea on date of photo?

Edit:

If you look at the photo of 21607 in the link posted by Martin (RidgeRunner) above, you'll see that by this time (11/05/1963) is has received the radio upgrade. Look up and to the left of the "6" and you'll see a dark horizontal line a few inches long - it's a shadow. The sun is directly overhead and the bulged vent is creating a shadow on its underside.

aaEvbW.jpg

Bumping an old thread, 607 may have been in at this time to get the UHF radio upgrade. Although it hadn’t occured at this time yet.