EE LIGHTNING HELP ?

Hello anyone out there know this ? There is a Triangular panel on the spine of Lightnings that have two very fine whip antenna’s sticking out of it. Question is does anyone know the color of the Triangle shaped panel ? The photo’s i have looked at look either a tannish color somewhat like a dielectric panel. But I’ve seen some in aluminum or silver color ? What is correct for an F.3 Lightning circa late 1960’s ? 

• Like 1

Last Christmas Santa brought me Danny Coremans book and its a photo feast.  A couple of really good close ups of your panel show a tan/earth panel almost like a really dirty canvas with yellow aerials though other photos have the aerials in a darker colour which may well be a faded yellow.  The panel is fibreglass according to the caption and the twin whip aerials are for homing (under code name Violet Picture).  Results from the system are displayed on the navigational display unit on the main instrument panel.

Of this I know nothing but pass on the info from the book contents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Lord Riot... Umm just now checked Cybermodeler out of curiousity and found this little nugget. Lightning Kit

Hmm nugget, certainly not a gold nugget!

I wouldn't even consider this kit compared to the Sword offering.

Violet Picture was a homing set up that was particularly useful for inflight refueling, the display was usually a cross hair indicator

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Bear in mind that the Trumpy effort has some erm... obvious flaws (the rear fuselage looks like it's been on a diet), to the extent that even a 'well it looks like a ....' modeller like me thinks 'actually, it doesn't quite look like a Lightning'...  as Chally has just posted, go for the Sword kit (which is cheaper, to boot)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hmm nugget, certainly not a gold nugget!

I wouldn't even consider this kit compared to the Sword offering.

2 hours ago, XV107 said:

Bear in mind that the Trumpy effort has some erm... obvious flaws

And I thought I was hard on the poor old Trumpenstein Lightning. It is vaguely Lightning shaped in places. The Airfix kit can be modified into an F1 with a bit of effort (or by using the Alleycat conversion).

As for the Panel I used a tan sort of colour to represent the Fibre Glass colour.

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1