Wellesley x 2- FINISHED

tonyot

Thanks for all of your kind words everybody,..... here is my latest update;

I have added some internal detail to the model using plastic strip;

DSCF1581

I`ve decided to open up part of the wheel wells too and will box them off using plastic strip later;

DSCF1585

I`ve also found some Wellesley transparencies on a Falcon set to;

DSCF1586

So,......so onward`s and upwards,.....I`ll hopefully be painting the interior this afternoon/evening,

Also,...... I have put together the fuselage and added the already built wings on another part built Wellesley which I might build alongside the main one, but will be building it straight from the box;

DSCF1587

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, snowen250 said:

Tony,

I see you found the Falcon canopies. But I have an abandoned Valom build, so if you'd prefer the clear parts from this PM me and I can send them down, they may be a better fit, may not, choice is yours! :)

Simon

Thanks Simon,..... I`ll see how I get on,.... but might just take you up on that if I screw them up,..... which is quite likely!! Is the Valom kit a bit of a bitch?

Cheers

Tony

The internal plastic strip structure and method of opening the u/c bays are quite novel, Tony... both ideas may end up on my 45 Squadron build - whenever I eventually get there.

Thanks for the great tips.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Simon,..... I`ll see how I get on,.... but might just take you up on that if I screw them up,..... which is quite likely!! Is the Valom kit a bit of a bitch?

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

it was all going well til I had to joint the wings. But it was a modeller inflicted issue, not being used to short run kits. For someone more experienced I am sure it would have been fine.

Let me know on the canopy front, the kit is at my parents still (I abandoned it when I moved out) but I should be able to retrieve it ok.

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Tony,

it was all going well til I had to joint the wings. But it was a modeller inflicted issue, not being used to short run kits. For someone more experienced I am sure it would have been fine.

Let me know on the canopy front, the kit is at my parents still (I abandoned it when I moved out) but I should be able to retrieve it ok.

Simon

Hiya Simon,.....if you really don`t need the transparencies from your Valom kit could I please use them after all,..... my eyes are struggling with the vacuformed parts! I`ll PM you my address,

Cheers

Tony  

Hiya Folks,..... just managed to get some pics of my progress before it got too dark,.....

I`ve painted the interior,..... although it needs to be tidied up with a small brush;

DSCF1595

And the fuselage has been joined with the taiplane added,..... note the filler on the joint between the nose and rear fuselage;

DSCF1596

Tonight I`ll be boxing off the wheel wells and joining the wings together,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

Thanks for the comments fellas,....

Here is an update,......got Dark Earth applied to one model and faded Dark Slate Grey added to the other;

DSCF1618

Just need to decide which areas to apply the faded EDSG now,.....time to decide! Any ideas after looking at the ref pics would be appreciated,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Standard Wellesley pattern? or are you seeing something that contradicts that in the reference shot Tony? I'd need to go dig out my Warpaint on these to compare what little there is to see in that photo.

Steve.

Steve,....I`m just a bit puzzled about which part of the camo on the TSS painted aircraft to paint using EDSG,...... when the colours faded the EDSG sometimes became the lighter colour due to chalking,...... I`ll sleep on it and then decide! Got the majority of the camo pattern itself squared away,.... just which colour is which! 

All the best

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hiya Folks,

A swiftupdate prior to getting ready to go out to the War Memorial this morning, here is the first Wellesley in its faded Temperate Sea Scheme, brush painted and using my last supply of the old but good Aeromaster acrylics,...I also found another photo of the `Polish' Wellesley and have added it to the initial post on the subject for anybody who is interested;

DSCF1662_NEW

All ready for an emotional day now,......

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

59 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I also found another photo of the `Polish' Wellesley and have added it to the initial post on the subject for anybody who is interested;

I'm of course, please do it. 

15 hours ago, Franz75 said:

I'm of course, please do it. 

The additional photo is on page 1 mate with the other ones,..... thought it would be easier that way.

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,.....another update,.......the upper surfaces have been finished,...and a light version of Azure Blue applied underneath;

DSCF1665DSCF1664

Some more detail painting including some weathering and patched fabric,.....then time to add a coat of gloss varnish ready for the decals, note the deeper wheel wells too.

I`ve re posted some pics of the real aircraft here to act as reference;

L2712 one of the last two examples in RAF service with 47 Squadron Air Echelon prior to disbandment on 03.03.1943

Wellesley 2 Wellesley 3

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

This Wellesley is looking very interesting Tony, it would have to be first kit I’ve ever seen finished in these colours. Do you know what Unit / Squadron, location and dates that these photos are likely to belong to? 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This Wellesley is looking very interesting Tony, it would have to be first kit I’ve ever seen finished in these colours. Do you know what Unit / Squadron, location and dates that these photos are likely to belong to? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,

As per page 1,..... it is wearing the Temperate Sea Scheme with Azure Blue undersides (as worn by Beauforts, Baltimore`s etc in this theatre) and is circa 1943 when the surviving aircraft were used for anti sub duties by a flight of 47 Sqn, while the restof the unit was re equipping with Beaufort`s. This aircraft was one of the last two still flying on the 3rd March 1943, which is around the time that the photos were taken,.....note the side gun positions and the open bomb doors on the sponsons.

All the best mate

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, not sure how I missed that info from your first post? I must be getting on a bit! Great photos, they must be from a private collection is suppose? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

No worries Dave,.....we all have our senior moments mat! Yes the pics are from a private collection.

Right,....another quick update,......I`ve painted some of the patches and things onto the model,.....not sure whether the real aircraft had some stripes on the wings which were roughly painted out or not,.....but I tried my best to replicate what I saw in the photos.

DSCF1684DSCF1686

I also used Humbrol Polished Steel for the collector ring and buffed it up with a rag,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Hiya Folks,

Another quick update,......first I`ve realised why the wings had what look like painted over bands on the wings,.....the transport joints were here and so a fabric strip was doped on here to cover the gap!

Image result for wellesley weybridge

Also,....I`ve added the decals,.....using spares box items,....I chose roundels a little more faded in colour to better represent the sun bleached look that I was aiming for;

DSCF1695_NEWDSCF1693_NEW

Just leave the gloss varnish to dry overnight now,

Cheers

Tony

PS,....I`ve since added the missing number 2 to the serial on the left hand side,..... the original went missing!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Cheers Steve,.

I`ve done a bit more,.....added some matt varnish and a watercolour wash to accentuate the panel lines;

DSCF1696_NEWDSCF1700_NEWDSCF1699_NEW

Having looked at references I`ve realised that the area behind the pilots seat was not open along the top as per the kit, but was a solid roof with an anti roll bar with bracing,....so I have had a go at replicating this using plastic card and strip;

DSCF1697

And I have done the same for the other model too;

DSCF1701

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 7