AEROPOXY 1:48 Folland Gnat F.1 / HAL Ajeet

Welkin

Has anyone got, or tried to build, the Folland Gnat 1:48 scale resin kit by AEROPOXY?

Is it any good, given that the Aeroclub kit is like Hen's Teeth? (plus being a Vacuform!)

Martin

Or else Special Hobby make their offering a bit bigger!

Seriously try asking in the WIP area with a clearer Title such as 'Aeropoxy resin kits any good?' then specify in the message. I started to hack the old Kader kit around a while back. Not too good as a T.1 but closish to the F.1

I had a review copy of one of these once-upon-a-time, and although it looked about the right shape & such, there was a lot of work needed to give it the polish and modern detail of the aforementioned Airfix kit of its 2-seater cousin.  I gave mine to a friend, but here is my review of yore. 

If you're aware of what you're getting into and don't mind fettling, fitting and filling, it's doable but don't expect it to be a doddle :)

Thanks to all, especially Mike - I can't think how I missed that review, but it was very helpful. I have taken a punt and ordered one, so we'll see how we go! Whatever happens, I am far happier with resin than vacuum kits. I was going to do XK724, which from photographs that I have seen doesn't have the windows behind the cockpit canopy; the rounded nose shouldn't be a problem.

Glad to help, and as I was being honest in my appraisal, I'm hoping you won't be disappointed. :)  I like vacformed kits more than resin ones (some resin ones - Planet Models are pretty decent :yes: ), so it's a shame I missed the vacform from John, if it was the single-seater.  I did build his (presumably later) 2-seater many moons ago, as you can see below:

1.jpg

A single-seater would look nice next to it :)  Wonder if anyone will bring out a nose-job conversion for the new(ish) Airfix kit? :hmmm:

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Glad to help, and as I was being honest in my appraisal, I'm hoping you won't be disappointed. :)  I like vacformed kits more than resin ones (some resin ones - Planet Models are pretty decent :yes: ), so it's a shame I missed the vacform from John, if it was the single-seater.  I did build his (presumably later) 2-seater many moons ago, as you can see below:

A single-seater would look nice next to it :)  Wonder if anyone will bring out a nose-job conversion for the new(ish) Airfix kit? :hmmm:

Problem is that it would require much more than a nose-job conversion to build the single seater from the Airfix kit, there are so many differences in both fuselage and wings that a single seater would require a totally new mould.

BTW, very nice model !

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:45, Mike said:

I gave mine to a friend, 

If you're aware of what you're getting into and don't mind fettling, fitting and filling, it's doable but don't expect it to be a doddle :)

Yes without telling him the gory details !!  :undecided: