Spitfire MK1A – Airfix 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Very smart Steve. I like W&N varnish too, lovely stuff.

Another suggestion for the stand - I use this one from Sphere Products.

Sticking a skewer up the spout risks splitting the seam (ask me how I know).

With the Sphere stand you get a pin vice and couple of clever clamps:

26586653289_0074890899_z.jpg

You drill out the prop hole with a drill (provided), insert the clamp and tighten it and it clamps inside the hole with a sort of hook thing as I hope you can see here:

26586658669_bd9cd21eff_n.jpg 38331272132_0b9f84c02a_n.jpg

I was trying to explain this to @Nigel Heath recently so a timely post.

I insert the clamp early and use it to handle the model, then stick the end of the clamp (removing the red top reveals the threaded rod) in my paint stand while it's drying.

36591529631_41c5271056_z.jpg

Sadly it only works for single-engined kits so for multi-engined I use the Tamiya Paint stand:

37989930716_a0fff9c2b6_z.jpg

I do the top first, balancing the model on the wires, flip it over for the bottom and just touch up the two bits on the trailing edge if it's made a mark. Yes, the airbrush does makes the model wobble a bit but a well placed fingertip solves that!

HTH :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

On most prop types I tend to leave the prop off till the end and put a long wood screw through the hole and into a bulkhead or similar. Or fill the nose cavity with fine packing foam and pierce a bamboo bbq type skewer into it for smaller scales. 

How do you fit the prop on at the end? Do you snip off the wood and the locating lug on the blade?

5 hours ago, Magua87 said:

How do you fit the prop on at the end? Do you snip off the wood and the locating lug on the blade?

Lost in translation I think mate. 

A long wood screw, not a bit of wood, as in the type of screw that you fasten into wood. (See pic of 1/48 109 on the stand) Pointy & Self tapping with a coarse thread which will bite into a pilot hole drilled into a plastic bulkhead. As opposed to a machine type screw which is blunt and has a fine thread to go into a matching nut. 

With the bamboo skewers, they are held in place by friction in the foam. On final assembly its removed, and the prop base added as normal. 

;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Lost in translation I think mate. 

A long wood screw, not a bit of wood, as in the type of screw that you fasten into wood. (See pic of 1/48 109 on the stand) Pointy & Self tapping with a coarse thread which will bite into a pilot hole drilled into a plastic bulkhead. As opposed to a machine type screw which is blunt and has a fine thread to go into a matching nut. 

With the bamboo skewers, they are held in place by friction in the foam. On final assembly its removed, and the prop base added as normal. 

;)

It may have been lost in translation as I now have a bamboo skewer pushed through my nose - very 'tribal' it looks too :lol:

• Haha 1

• BIG X changed the title to Spitfire MK1A – Airfix 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++
  • 1 month later...

YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAS TURNED UP...

...whilst the forum was down today I decided to give the workbench a bit of a clean up.  I decided to turn the cutting mat over and found these...

image.jpg

If the forum hadn't been down today I may not have found them for months - Thank you Britmodeller

• Like 2
  • Haha 3