YF4K Prototype first flight.

Good evening one and all.

Adding to my little collection of Prototypes, experimental and research aircraft is this my latest model, YF4K Prototype at the time of its' first flight 27th June 1966 and flown by Joe Debronski.

The base kit is the Fujimi F4K kit of which much has been written and with good reason, it is a superb kit considering it's age and went together with no real issues. During the build I moved the 2 lower auxiliary doors further forward as per UK Spey Phantoms, adding some detail to the u/c bays and airbrake wells and scratchbuilding new seats, although, I have to admit these may be wrong due to the fact I could find no decent pics of the MB Mk 5 with the sugar scoop head area. No photo etch was used so no mirrors adorn the canopy's. All the tubes were removed and replaced with Albion Alloys tubing.

On the paint side of things Mr Colour White for the underside, Humbrol Dark Sea Grey for the top surfaces and Alclad for the metal areas around the exhaust. Everything was sealed with Alclad Gloss Coat

The markings were from RAM models sheet of early British Phantoms and were very delicate to say the least, even in water extreme care was needed and using X20A to settle them was a no no, I tried on a never to be used decal and it just disintegrated. Anyway they did settle with the use of Mr Setter and Softer but there is some silvering.

Thanks to those whom answered some of my questions regarding this build and helping me finish it.

Hope you like her and thanks for looking.

Disclaimer; All the usual cock-ups and mistakes apply!

DSC_0021

DSC_0038

DSC_0041

DSC_0017

DSC_0008

DSC_0026

DSC_0042

• Like 38

9 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Brilliant model 😊

Thanks Gerrard.

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I like prototypes, I like Spey Phantoms, and I like this a lot! The finish is very nice.

We are peas in a pod k5054nz. It is not perfect and I did have a few little issues that I just managed to turn around, one though I only noticed when I looked at the photographs.

Thanks .

Gary

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Romel said:

Like it.

Thank you Romel.

21 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Excellent! I hadn't noticed that rear Sparrows weren't carried on the first flight. Note also that at some point after the first flight, the Sparrow fins were removed in addition to the markings (they were a literal pain if you weren't careful).

Thank you too Tailspin Turtle, I consider this my best model to date and while not perfect I am moving in the right direction, your guidance and website were invaluble so thanks again for the time you put into such endevours.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely.

I have this set in 1:48 and having built XT596 & XT597 should really do No.1.

Such a shame she was scrapped.

• Like 1

Hello,Gary - My apologies for my late ‘Radar Contact’ regarding this beautiful ‘Phantom’ build.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work together with the classic clean appearance and your choice of scheme.

”Phabulous!”

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

On 08/11/2017 at 1:02 PM, heloman1 said:

Love it, very neat indeed, congratulations

Thanks Collin, much appreciated.

On 08/11/2017 at 11:53 PM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Gary - My apologies for my late ‘Radar Contact’ regarding this beautiful ‘Phantom’ build.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work together with the classic clean appearance and your choice of scheme.

”Phabulous!”

No worries Paul, glad to have you back on my scope too, it was a pleasurable build and probably my best to date and I do like something a little different.

It would be a pleasure to bump into you this weekend if you are going, I will be wearing my BM lanyard so I will be pinging on everyone's radar hopefully.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...