AFC Pilot Harold Kerr - Had a fabulous email from his great grandson

Viking

In April this year Wingnut Wings released 'The Duellists' double kit depicting an actual incident that took place in the Great war, when 2 pilots from 4 Sqn Australian Flying Corps shot down and captured an LVG C.VI. 

The review is here.

RFI of the Camel is here.

cam0.jpg

One of those 2 Australian pilots was Harold Kerr, and his great grandson Andrew recently saw the review and got in touch, sending me the following account;

"I am the great grandson of pilot Harold Kerr. I just wanted let you know that you got it a little bit wrong, the account of the duel is in the book titled 'The last great air battles', there was not that many in ww1.

Harold Kerr was the pilot that hit power lines, he shot down the LVG and upon doubling back to confirm he had 2 Germans on his tail and he dove to get them off, couldn't pull out of it and hit the power lines. When he crashed he headbutted the mounted Vickers machine gun and compress fractured a big part of his skull and broke everything. He ended up being in hospital until long after the war finished and strangely enough next to the 2 Germans from the LVG he shot down.

His mates took his gold cigarette case and fob watch as he was left to die from all his injuries but he got better and lived till he was almost 90. I have a clock which his mates made out of the centre piece of the propeller from the sopwith as the blades were snapped off, also his leather flying cap it is very frail and was damaged during the crash. I also have a photo of him in the plane if you would like it. I like to think of him as I have broken all bones a couple of times in horrific accidents and am still kicking on.

Harold was in the light horse earlier in the war and was in heavy fighting at Quins post in Gallipoli, I have a letter he wrote home and he was very positive talking about all his friends that had been killed in the previous couple of days as most of them died. Harold was shot through the chest just above his heart, he survived and was discharged after which he joined the RAF and became a Sopwith Camel pilot."

Would we like to see the pictures?, you bet we would!

Huge thanks to Andrew for sending the following photographs;

Harold Kerr in his Camel;

kerr1.jpg

Harold Kerr;
kerr2.jpg

Harold's wings;

kerr3.jpg

His medals;
kerr8.jpg

Leather Helmet;

kerr4.jpg

The prop boss 'clock'

kerr5.jpg

kerr6.jpg

And the LVG after capture;

kerr7.jpg

Fantastic to see these and what brilliant family heirlooms to have. Priceless!

Again huge thanks to Andrew, nice one mate!

Cheers

John

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Andrew,

Thank you for sharing the memorabilia and story about your great grandfather; it's always special to be able to put a face and a story with a  model. God Bless him for his service to his country and bless you for being the keeper  of his personal effects. You must be very proud.

Mike

• Like 2

As others have already said. It is great to hear that the history and memory of this man who risked life and limb for his country is being preserved and remembered. Sterling job!

Many thanks for sharing these treasures with us.

• Like 1

+1.

What disturbs me a little is that there probably have been many collections like this that have ended up in landfill because the family had no idea at all of their value. I know that the Australian War Memorial, for one, is making a sterling effort to find and preserve artefacts like this, but it's hard to do that when the horse has bolted!

Absolutely brilliant post and thoroughly enjoyed it.

BTW John, please tell Andrew to be very careful with those AFC wings as they are ridiculously rare and arguably the most valuable wings from any of the Commonwealth air services from both wars. They are prone to moth damage so please tell him to store them properly (I am also very lucky and have a pair and they are stored in an airtight container away from sunlight).

Cheers and thanks once again for the fabulous story and photos.

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you so much for posting that! As has already been said (but I'll add my appreciation too) what an incredible piece of history and thank you to Andrew for getting in touch with you.

• Like 1