PK-23 Tempest Mk.II RIAF

charlie_c67

So, first time in ages I've sat down to do any modelling and what better way to ease back in than with a (some) Matchbox build. First off, one of Hawkers finest in the form of a Mk.II Centaurus engined Tempest. This will be built pretty much straight from the box so as to reduce the amount of frustration I feel....hopefully. The obligatory runners pic posted via the app on my iPad. Hope it's not too big...

37173828374_daf12993e1_b.jpg

And this is where we are of last night...

37173827954_f9f90e9886_b.jpg

Hopefully more can be done in between re-decorating my house this week.

• Like 9

Were gonna have a squadron of Matchbox Tempests in the gallery when this GB is finished - good show!! 

I'd be keen to know how you go with the wing to fuselage join and if (as I suspect) it is actually a nice clean fit - unlike my chopped up thing.

Whilst you're decorating the house - best to tidy up the work bench as well?? (only joking).

Cheers... Dave  

Well the wings decided they wouldn't behave and left me with either a gap at the top, right in the crease of the fuselage, or underneath. I went for the latter and hopefully this pic will show why...

37997557702_e5b9b54616_b.jpg

Ok, maybe not.  But the wing joint is nicer at the top than underneath, I promise you. Not entirely sure why the pilots chair is on the wonk, a tad annoying but too late to rectify now. Also note the freshly trimmed prop complete with blade that are a uniform length. As to the underside, well...

37974588416_15189c7e94_b.jpg

Yeah, that's gonna need some work, hence the added extras ready to be smoothed down, need to pop a little plastic putty in them and the rocket/bomb dimples before that happens however. Maybe more later this week!

• Like 13

This Tempest is coming along nicely Charlie. 

Quite interesting how you've required a fair bit of plastic card towards the rear underwing to fuselage section. Mine was quite bad on the top, so perhaps the way your going may be an easier beast to tame. 

Looking on with interest and I cannot wait until mine starts to actually look like a Tempest!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

So after one conference and a weekend of work, I've managed to do a little more on the Tempest. Not 100% happy with how the plastic putty went down, even after 24 hours drying time, but we'll see how it looks with some primer on, hopefully tomorrow!

37545550284_616f59f513_b.jpg

• Like 9

Excuse the poor lighting, but we are now sporting a lovely shiny coat.

26598614459_f03994a0b5_b.jpg

Even the bottom doesn't look too bad.

38344072422_6a3d75b8f7_b.jpg

Wait. What are those? Awww crap I forgot to fill the dimples for the non-existent stores, did anyone get any with their Tempest? Never mind, one drill and rod job later...

38344072352_5038b2b775_b.jpg

Once cleaned up, they'll hopefully be hidden well by a layer of paint. We will see later this week!

• Like 12

Nice work Charlie, thanks for reminding me about the "dimples": I have a pile of the Home Bargains £2.99 Typhoons so one of them may give up the required rockets. Seeing as IAF as used these mostly for ground attack some explosives would be good.

You saw the site I linked to in my upcoming build, I think the spinners seem to be painted the same as the airframe not the bogus beige Matchbox indicate. In fact looking at the codes etc I think MB pretty much made up the markings and colours but hey, its the 70's as Marc Bolan urged us  "Lets get it on" (even if its the wrong colour and font).

Liking the progress you've made but mine is going to more leisurely with custom decals, added cockpit and general AMS crap that will never be seen.

Cheers

Anil

Guys, I’d be inclined to leave those  rocket attachment points in place. If your not mounting (home made) rocket rails, then there would still be some type of attachment point for where these rails would sit - I would think. They also kind of fit in with the rather deep panel lines of the overall Matchbox airframe. Either way, great progress.. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Cheers Anil, I had seen the site, found it very interesting and useful for several aircraft. One reason I knew to paint the wheel wells and inner doors style same silver! Just need to sort out some decals like yourself. Shame there's not more about current aircraft though. 

Bit late now Dave ;) Never mind!

• Like 1

Nearly a week since this got any love, part of this is down to the need to produce some proper Chakra Markings, like @azureglo I'm pretty sure the middle colour should be orange so I'm hoping my home made ones will be sufficient...

Below is the aircraft I'm basing this on, though without the stencils as I can't quite make out what they are. I'd imagine the back ones are "Lift here" but I can't be sure...

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Aircraft/Vintage/Fighters/Tempest/HA552.jpg.html

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Sorry for the delay in this guys but a lack of decals as well as a need to do decorating has taken over. The decals are now ready to print and hopefully I can get back to this pretty soon!

Hey Charlie, if you have any problems with the decals, I'll be running off some new Chakra Roundels/fin flashes next week and will happily send you some. They're only inkjet but even my test was way better than whats in the kit.

Cheers

Anil

• 1 month later...

So I've slowly been chipping away at this since the festivities, work and others things have got in the way somewhat. However, I am trying a new thing, using some acrylic paint pens for the white disc of the IAF chakra, hopefully it'll work...

39945361082_f9b7f7103f_b.jpg

• Like 2

Well this build is juddering to a rather disappointing end. Definetly one I will have to find a replacement for in due course. The only upside has been that the decals came out well (though maybe using a white backed transfer sheet would be better), the pens have been an abject failure however, despite being labelled as acrylic, they appear to be more like powder paints, becoming fluid again once wetted, either by a decal solution, or even gloss varnish... Although I will finish her, I'm not especially happy with her, lesson learnt for next time!

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I managed to sneek one pic into the gallery before the deadline slammed it down. Problem is it's only the hyperlink and there's no link to this build thread! Since I can't edit the post either, hopefully a friendly mod can post the link to here for me?

Anyway, she's finished, and after a good start, things came crashing down at the painting stage. Lessons to take home are, be careful which paints you use, especially with the acrylic pens which liquify when made wet :think: , the decals work, but need to be cut close, and any white for decals etc, needs to be laid down first. Here are some final pics!

40302566782_737258f286_b.jpg

40302566752_454dfb91d3_b.jpg

39636608384_e97d36fae2_b.jpg

25475848477_b2eb1045a3_b.jpg

25475848397_c36c1e7f0d_b.jpg

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 3

So good to see another Tempest finished and in the gallery Charlie... your build makes it #8 for Matchbox's PK-23. 

Hopefully Enzo will allow you to add a few more photos of this Indian Tempest into the Gallery, you did well to sneak this one in.

Cheers and well played.. Dave.  

• Like 1