M5 Allied Halftrack – PSC 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I *try* to follow less is more but i nearly always overdo it....

sleep on it....

.:sleep_1:..yeh - but if I sleep on it - it will get squashed - oh I am so drole :lol: 

OK - I've slept on it and no one else has come back to say 'DO MORE' or 'WASH SOME OFF' :tumble:

...so after a little spot of lunch I'll get it matt varnished and call it finished.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

You are going to remove the excess wash before you varnish aren't you? :pray:

what excess - that's how it's supposed to look - isn't it???

C'mon Mike - let me know quickly what needs to come off - the matt varnish was nearly in the cup then...

Right with you! :)

Ok - a quick download of your pic, edit & upload to illustrate what I mean.  The key part of a wash is the removal of the excess wash, so that your model doesn't look like it's been bathed in mud.  I'm not sure if you've done this, but I think I can see some still adhering in places.  I usually go over my models with either a cotton bud with a little saliva on it (I know, gross), or a small wad of kitchen roll with the same gross excescence on it.  Rub at the model to remove the wash from everywhere but the recesses that you are attempting to highlight.  If you feel like leaving some, that's fine, but don't allow any that look too obviously "out of scale" survive, as they'll ruin the scale effect you've worked so hard to achieve :)

bigx-halftrack.jpg

I based my surmise on these pics, which show quite a bit of left-overs around the bag buckles on the "lectern" and in other places.  I realise you might have removed some of that by now, so please accept my humblest if I've got you wrong ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ok - a quick download of your pic, edit & upload to illustrate what I mean.  The key part of a wash is the removal of the excess wash, so that your model doesn't look like it's been bathed in mud.  I'm not sure if you've done this, but I think I can see some still adhering in places.  I usually go over my models with either a cotton bud with a little saliva on it (I know, gross), or a small wad of kitchen roll with the same gross excescence on it.  Rub at the model to remove the wash from everywhere but the recesses that you are attempting to highlight.  If you feel like leaving some, that's fine, but don't allow any that look too obviously "out of scale" survive, as they'll ruin the scale effect you've worked so hard to achieve :)

bigx-halftrack.jpg

I based my surmise on these pics, which show quite a bit of left-overs around the bag buckles on the "lectern" and in other places.  I realise you might have removed some of that by now, so please accept my humblest if I've got you wrong ;)

I'm just nipping upstairs to find a cotton bud :whistle:

• Like 1

:cwl: I wasn't a 100% sure it was left-over wash, but I thought it better to mention it just in case.  Fortunately, you're one of those folks that appreciate constructive criticism - sorry my initial post was a little terse, but I thought I'd stubbed my toe & was in a bit of pain.  I only realised I'd skewered my 2nd toe when I saw a piece of an LED leg sticking through my sock.  No wonder it was hurting! :doh: It had dropped into my slipper and when I stood up it had punctured my toe and gone about 10mm in :puke:  I had to give it quite a yank to get it out :owww:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

bigx-halftrack.jpg

OK - without wanting to be TOO MUCH of a pain in the Harris...

...I've given it a 'lick' here and there and would really appreciate some more pointers...

...so here we are at 13.00hrs - zulu time...

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

:cwl: I wasn't a 100% sure it was left-over wash, but I thought it better to mention it just in case.  Fortunately, you're one of those folks that appreciate constructive criticism - sorry my initial post was a little terse, but I thought I'd stubbed my toe & was in a bit of pain.  I only realised I'd skewered my 2nd toe when I saw a piece of an LED leg sticking through my sock.  No wonder it was hurting! :doh: It had dropped into my slipper and when I stood up it had punctured my toe and gone about 10mm in :puke:  I had to give it quite a yank to get it out :owww:

OUCH - anyway to add to your pain I've posted some updated pictures for more help PLEASE :pray:

Just look at the model and try to imagine where the muck would accumulate.  For example - in the overhead shot, there's a bit of a tide-mark in front of the windscreen.  Similarly on the back door there's a fairly sharp demarcation between wash and paint around the edges.  That could do with a little knocking back.  It's one of those taste things, and depends on how filthy you want the end result to be.  If you're not sure, have a bit of a dabble & then post up some new pics.  We'll tell ya ;)

I think you've done a grand job of this BTW.  You've turned a toy-like model into one that's heaps better, as our antipodean friends would say :)

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

OUCH - anyway to add to your pain I've posted some updated pictures for more help PLEASE :pray:

:cwl: It's throbbing a bit, but as I've got nowt planned today I'm just going to sit here & vegetate :tired:  It also doesn't affect my typing, although the number of corrections I had to make to that last sentence would lead one to think otherwise :wacko:

• Haha 2

whilst waiting for this blasted thing to dry again.....

(it's getting worse not better BTW):doh:

I was pondering...  If I was to do one as an ambulance with a canvas top - what do I use to make the canvas and how do I do it??? - any ideas???

MAKE a canvas tilt? :shocked: People use tissue paper, but you have to be careful about the texture of the paper, orrrrrr.... you could make one out of rolled out Milliput (other epoxy putties are available, and some may be better or not), and then paint it.  That last idea is probably the most realistic of the two, but takes the most effort and swearing :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BIG X said:

If I was to do one as an ambulance with a canvas top - what do I use to make the canvas and how do I do it??? - any ideas???

Hi,

I think most people would use tissue paper soaked in dilute PVA. That's tissue you might wrap things in, not the tissue you shove up your 'exhaust pipe'.

However, I've tried various tissue papers and have yet found one that works for me. I usually end up with something that we might have chewed up at school and fired at teacher with a hollow biro pen.

Others would use something like Miliput. At that scale though, I think the tissue paper would be the best bet.

Hope that helps.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Thanks 1

PSC kits are designed for wargamers, who would want 1 or more units of each type of vehicle and not single models. You can buy single kits from their website(they are listed as reinforcements).

Canvas tilts can be made in 2 ways -

1) Make the hoops from wire and cover with thin paper(Airmail paper is good). Thouroghly crush the paper to break the grain befor using.

2) Make a plastic card superstructure and fill with Milliput, which can then be sculped to shape.

(Written before Mike's posts)

Edited by Niall
Updated because of other posts
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

MAKE a canvas tilt? :shocked: People use tissue paper, but you have to be careful about the texture of the paper, orrrrrr.... you could make one out of rolled out Milliput (other epoxy putties are available, and some may be better or not), and then paint it.  That last idea is probably the most realistic of the two, but takes the most effort and swearing :shrug:

19 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi,

I think most people would use tissue paper soaked in dilute PVA. That's tissue you might wrap things in, not the tissue you shove up your 'exhaust pipe'.

However, I've tried various tissue papers and have yet found one that works for me. I usually end up with something that we might have chewed up at school and fired at teacher with a hollow biro pen.

Others would use something like Miliput. At that scale though, I think the tissue paper would be the best bet.

Hope that helps.

Rearguards,

Badder.

11 minutes ago, Niall said:

PSC kits are designed for wargamers, who would want 1 or more units of each type of vehicle and not single models. You can buy single kits from their website(they are listed as reinforcements).

Canvas tilts can be made in 2 ways -

1) Make the hoops from wire and cover with thin paper(Airmail paper is good). Thouroghly crush the paper to break the grain befor using.

2) Make a plastic card superstructure and fill with Milliput, which can then be sculped to shape.

(Written before Mike's posts)

Thanks guys - food for thought as they say :clap2:

Hey Niall I didn't know you could buy singles - good tip :thanks:

Well I've OFFICIALLY had enough.  I've been messing all day and decided that this is as good as it's going to get - I'm calling it 'summery dusty' - so this is your final chance to spot any mistakes...

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

Please don't be afraid to offer any final ideas - I have put all the 'sharp things' away :lol:

Cheers - Steve

• Like 5

I think you've cleared up most of that pesky wash.  I know that some brands can be a PITA to remove, as not all clay-based washes are born equal, so it's key to have a good glossy surface unless you want it everywhere even after you've scrubbed it with a Brillo pad! :lol: My only criticism would be that the soldiers are all a little shiny compared to the truck now.  Give them a parp of matt, and I think you can sit back and admire a job well done.  You've definitely learned a few new techniques this time, which is what it's all about :yes:

• Like 2

Well time to call it a day on this one and yes Mike - the soldiers have been matted down - along with everything else.

You can find the RFI here...

...I hope you'll take a look.

Thanks too to everyone who chipped in - I couldn't do it without you guys :grouphug:

Cheers - Steve

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2017 at 12:00, BIG X said:

As encouraged by Ben the Badger I have added the extra 50 cal at the back - the kit comes with 2 of these - but they are either / or - but hey these bad boys like a fight :boxing:

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

The kit came with a smaller machine gun that glues somewhere on the inside - but I think this one looks more dramatic.  I can save the other for another build.

Rule number one: more guns are always better!!

Edited by badger
Appalling grammar error!
  • Haha 1