M5 Allied Halftrack – PSC 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Looking good mate.

Sadly I'm also now back at work after half term and only just had time to drop in on this. Excellent progress - keep it up!

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Looking good mate.

Sadly I'm also now back at work after half term and only just had time to drop in on this. Excellent progress - keep it up!

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - I'm afraid it has taken a bit of a back seat for a couple of days - as I've really got 'into' my Spitfire build.  The 'half' track crew are 'half' painted - which is stangely appropriate - but I must get back to this as soon as I can - it's a sweet like kit - Cheers - Steve

6 minutes ago, badger said:

They are on this one - presumably because it's a modern restored one. My memory of them being landmines is based on the old Tamiya 1/35 kit, but googling it shows lots of factory photos with mines (you can tell as they have a central cross rib). Realistically as the spare rollers fit in the racks then you could paint them as either / both

The mystery rollers / landmines are actually part of the rack on this kit - so a beggar to paint anyway - so they are staying as landmines in olive green for now

Well finally we have some progress...

The crew got their uniforms and headgear painted last week - but now I've managed most of the fiddly stuff too...

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

...they aren't going to win any prizes - but with a bit of a flory wash to highlight some more of the detail they will pass my muster at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gave the tools another lick of paint and decided on 'wood' for the handles - for a bit of variety of colour...

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

...and whilst I was feeling brave I gave those rollers in the side rack a very subtle coat of tyre black - and I mean subtle.

• Like 1

Now you may remember these 'headlights'...

29a.jpg

I was a bit underwhelmed with them - even though they are tiny - but I think this looks a 'little better'...

IMG_2984.jpg

at least you can now 'guess' they are headlights :lol:

• Like 3

I also painted those 'mudflaps' on the rear - again I went for tyre black to maybe simulate rubber flaps - on reflection I will either thin these down or chop them off the remaining 2 kits left in the box - the pleasures of getting 3 kits in one box I guess...

IMG_2982.jpg

I still haven't had the guts to get some red on those lights though :doh:

...but I have painted some of the stowage for these rear racks...

redlights.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

...they are tiny - as you can see from the Vallejo bottle - but well moulded for their size - the look great if you squint :lol:

• Like 1

I have 2 x 50cal guns - well I think that's what the are :newb:

I painted them gunmetal for now - but if anyone has any pictures that might show what they should look like I would be very pleased to see them.  I think the handles at the back might be wood and maybe a drybrush with a bit of silver or copper might make them a bit more exciting or 'menacing'...

IMG_2986.jpg

• Like 2

All that really needs doing now is a bit of work on the interior.  Again on reflection I maybe should have painted this before I put it all together - like you do on an aircraft build.

After that's done I can gloss it all up and have a play with the Flory washes - I want panel lines / shading / mud / maybe even a tiny bit of rust or bare metal - but don't get too excited...

I have zero skill in this department - so it could be - 'fun and games' :doh:

• Like 2

All looking really rather splendid. 

You are right the 50cal handles should be wood. To be honest I rather like the finish as it is. In reality these were almost black, with some wear in dark silver when the protective coating wore off.

Figures look spot on colour wise - really not too bad detailwise for wargames figures.

Headlights look a lot better as you can now tell what they are.

Keep up the good work!!

Ben

• Like 2

Hi there, I read you were using Filters and you were not seeing any effect. I have the Mig tan Filter for German tri tone camo and it works very well. I even thin it down 50% an usually apply several layers. I was also doing my own Filters with Abteilung 502 Oil paints. When you start thin it is very subtle. But it builds up with application of layers. It is most obvious when you have contrasting paints to start with. And it is best evaluated in good not harsh daylight to my experience.

32 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Hi there, I read you were using Filters and you were not seeing any effect. I have the Mig tan Filter for German tri tone camo and it works very well. I even thin it down 50% an usually apply several layers. I was also doing my own Filters with Abteilung 502 Oil paints. When you start thin it is very subtle. But it builds up with application of layers. It is most obvious when you have contrasting paints to start with. And it is best evaluated in good not harsh daylight to my experience.

Thanks for the tip - I need to persevere with these - they set me back nearly £60 - so I 'want' them to work - I might have a play on a 'mule' - heaven knows everything I makes ends up as a mule :hobbyhorse: :lol:

1 hour ago, Gav G said:

That's really nice for a quick build 1/72.  It puts some of the Airfix 'normal' kits I used to build in the 70's to shame.

I suppose to a true AFV expert they look a bit 'toy like' - but for 1/72 scale and to a novice like myself they look really good and a great way to dip my toe into the water.

I would heartily recommend these kits to anyone - well done PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY.

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Thanks for the tip - I need to persevere with these - they set me back nearly £60 - so I 'want' them to work - I might have a play on a 'mule' - heaven knows everything I makes ends up as a mule :hobbyhorse: :lol:

I don't think you'll notice an effect from them at all until used on top of a proper paint job.  I haven't got into weathering yet as I've only just restarted after a very long time but I've seen some of the effects possible on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

Cool project!  My Mojo's long missing presumed dead, hopefully the Sherman GB might do a Herbert West on it.  ;)

Try spraying a sheet of plastic card with your basecoat (possibly with a few random misted highlights) then work your filters over this to see how they change the appearance of the base.....Strongly recommend taking a look at some of @AndyRM101's AFV threads, he describes the process in some detail.  :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gav G said:

I don't think you'll notice an effect from them at all until used on top of a proper paint job.  I haven't got into weathering yet as I've only just restarted after a very long time but I've seen some of the effects possible on YouTube.

If you have any links to you tube videos that actually show how to use filters and what they look like - please post them here.  The few I have seen are useless - 'here's a green truck - we add the filter and hey presto it looks the same - but a bit wet'...

2 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Try this 

or this

Cheers me old malt loaf - I'll take a proper look later - they certainly 'look' like they know what they're doing and I'm 60 quid in - so I'm keen to get using these filters...

...thanks a million - Steve

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

If you have any links to you tube videos that actually show how to use filters and what they look like - please post them here.  The few I have seen are useless - 'here's a green truck - we add the filter and hey presto it looks the same - but a bit wet'...

I think this would be me 'go to' for proof of concept; and he's only using the basic Tamiya clear colours.  There's a wide range of possibilities if you use more suitable washes I guess.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gav G said:

I think this would be me 'go to' for proof of concept; and he's only using the basic Tamiya clear colours.  There's a wide range of possibilities if you use more suitable washes I guess.

Hi Gav - who???