M5 Allied Halftrack – PSC 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Cheers Ben,

Loads of useful info and links there - I'll take a look.  Your pictures are smashing too - especially that 'monster' - well scary...

A big factor in getting the old mojo back has been your help and advice 'off forum' - you are a bit of a star - thank you :D

I do promise I will slap some filters on the underside TODAY - no knowing properly what they look like is now holding me up.  Depending on the results I may just get on and do a gloss varnish - followed by some washing - we will see...

• Thanks 1

No worries Fella

Nice to be able to share all the stuff I've accumulated over the years. In doing so it has helped inspire and motivate me.

Do enjoy a bit of Warhammer as a diversion - no rivet counting and issues with paint colours and markings :rofl2:

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Regards

Ben 

• Thanks 1

At the risk of sounding like a scratched record - it hasn’t been a very productive day on the M5.  This is a big learning curve for me and I am finding it very different to aircraft modelling.  It sounds bizarre – but it really seems to be a completely different ball game.

Anyway – let’s get the biggest disappointment I‘ve had in modelling for a long while - out of the way first.  After frankly – reading far too much stuff – I went out and bought the complete set of Ammo by Mig Filters.  Then, following the instructions to the letter – I can see absolutely nothing for my money.

I used the underside of the M5 as a testing zone.  I covered one half in green and the other half in brown – leaving another patch in original condition.

Here is a before shot – a vast expanse of virgin olive drab…

IMG_2801.jpg

…and here are a couple of ‘after’ shots…

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

I’ve used a couple of different angles and lighting directions – just to prove the point.  If you can see which area is filtered green / which is brown / which is still virgin olive drab then you’re a good un…

Anyway…

I think I will chalk this up to experience and these bottles can just sit and look pretty on a shelf somewhere.  They certainly won’t be cluttering the desk again any time soon.

Now – I was going to jump straight to a gloss coat and some washes – when I remembered all these bits…

IMG_2817.jpg

…I thought this was a ‘quick build kit’ :lol: It’s got nearly as many parts as the Spitfire I’m building :lol: :lol:

However – apart from the filter fiasco – this kit is proving to be a lot of fun – so more soldier painting in the morning and some tool painting needs doing before we get to that gloss coat.

By the way – does anyone know what these 6 round things are and more importantly what colour they should be…

11_arrow.jpg

Thanks for having a look - Steve

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe the round things are Landmines. Could be wrong on that but thats what im thinking. 

That's exactly what they are. Presumably they would be a shade of od.

Bad luck with the filters - I was hoping for a lot more than that from them! 

Other than that its still pretty good progress compared to my glacial speed!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, badger said:

That's exactly what they are. Presumably they would be a shade of od.

Bad luck with the filters - I was hoping for a lot more than that from them! 

Other than that its still pretty good progress compared to my glacial speed!

All the best

Ben

I had wondered if they were 'spare' rubber rollers...

half01.jpg

half-track-drive-idler-wheels-_2_-296-p.

...the upside is - as they are landmines and OD in colour - they just need a wash - not a repaint :)

...just reviewing the things that might need painting on the bodywork - like the tools - before the gloss coat and I have to say - I am a 'little' disappointed by the headlights...

29a.jpg

...any ideas how to make them look a 'bit more real' ???

...especially considering how small they are...

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi BigX,

Two possibilities I'd consider..... either leave the 'stumps' where they are, cut out discs of Plasticard, and stick them on, or remove the stumps completely and scratch new headlights using stretched sprue and plasticard. Some of BM's Micro-detailers would find t a dhe second option a doddle, but I, with my half-disabled fingers, wouldn't be able to manage it EVER!

With regards to you filters....

If I HAD to guess, I'd say you applied brown to the middle of the underside, green to the rear and left the front 'untouched.' I expect to be told otherwise though.

I don't use proprietary filters, preferring to make up my own, but I think the problems you've encountered are one concerning scale and possibly the choice of colour/inadequate 'stirring'.

Firstly, filters are generally very subtle, and on such small areas they really don't make much difference - unless they are of a very contrasting colour. And possibly the filter wasn't stirred enough to get that colour at it's peak?

And one more point. I understand that you used the underside as a 'test bed' for the filters, but in practice this area would best be treated with washes rather than filters.

I wouldn't give up on the filters though. Try them out on 1/35th and larger, and of course, have a look at the work of other members, or search the videos on the web. 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 00:35, BIG X said:

...just reviewing the things that might need painting on the bodywork - like the tools - before the gloss coat and I have to say - I am a 'little' disappointed by the headlights...

29a.jpg

I decided to drill a couple of holes in the stubby plastic lumps that are supposed to represent the lights – not perfect – but better than they were…

IMG_2826.jpg

• Like 2

You could also put some silver/clear cabochon stick-on thingies to act as lenses.  They're sold as model lenses in various sizes for £5.99 or whatever for a couple, when you can buy them for a coupla quid for a sheet of hundreds if you know where to look.  Getting the search term is the tricky part.  These only smaller would be a good start :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

You could also put some silver/clear cabochon stick-on thingies to act as lenses.  They're sold as model lenses in various sizes for £5.99 or whatever for a couple, when you can buy them for a coupla quid for a sheet of hundreds if you know where to look.  Getting the search term is the tricky part.  These only smaller would be a good start :)

Cheers Mike - I'm taking the path of least resistance and just popping in a blob of silver paint in later on in the build.

• Like 1

A quick question – do we think these are these ‘mud flaps’…

12a.jpg

Most images on the tinterwebs don’t show these – but this more modern image does…

rear.jpg

41 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Cheers Mike - I'm taking the path of least resistance and just popping in a blob of silver paint in later on in the build.

Finished off with a wee (small) drop of gloss varnish and done! ;)

• Like 1

Headlights. Mix silver & a touch of matt white.

Oddly, it's much better than just silver!

(An old model car building trick)

Erm, I have to question the wisdom of driving around

with the side racks full of explosive items!

(I thought they were spare rollers too).

I do like a nice half track!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Headlights. Mix silver & a touch of matt white.

Oddly, it's much better than just silver!

(An old model car building trick)

Erm, I have to question the wisdom of driving around

with the side racks full of explosive items!

(I thought they were spare rollers too).

I do like a nice half track!

Hey Pete - thanks for the headlight tip - I'll remember that one.

Back to the side racks - I found this earlier...

rollers.jpg

...they do look like spare rollers - on this one at least.

• Like 2

Well as we appear to be on a roll - how about these - do we have ideas of what these represent lights / mirrors…

12b.jpg

Again modern images from museum pieces on the internet seem to point to red lights and the higher ones really look like mirrors…

rear_new.jpg

mir1.jpg

mir2.jpg

…maybe the mirrors were to reflect the lights of the vehicle following – in darkness...

any input would be appreciated :D

I've started work on the other 6 crew figures - this time rather just hand painting everything - I blasted them all with dark earth - as I was doing the top of my Spit at the same time.

Then I masked everything off except the headgear and gave them another blast of dark green.

IMG_2833.jpg

that leaves the webbing / boots / flesh - but some time saved.  Then it's a gloss coat again and finally a black wash.

Well I'm back at work today...

...isn't it always the way...

...you get a week off and you fanny around watching rubbish on day time TV - when you have promised yourself you would be modelling.

oh well only 8 weeks to Christmas:party:

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:13, Mike said:

Excellent tip - thanks Mike!!

Always wanted to get some but have been put off by the high prices so will investigate further

Ben

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:02, BIG X said:

Hey Pete - thanks for the headlight tip - I'll remember that one.

Back to the side racks - I found this earlier...

rollers.jpg

...they do look like spare rollers - on this one at least.

They are on this one - presumably because it's a modern restored one. My memory of them being landmines is based on the old Tamiya 1/35 kit, but googling it shows lots of factory photos with mines (you can tell as they have a central cross rib). Realistically as the spare rollers fit in the racks then you could paint them as either / both

• Like 2