M5 Allied Halftrack – PSC 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

...well I'm ashamed to say that this fun build has taken even more of a back seat in the last week or so - but I've just about finished my Spitfire in the wingy thingy area.

I've just done the last matt coat on it - and whilst the airbrush was loaded with the matt varnish I sealed these bad boys - after their flory wash...

IMG_3039.jpg

...durty boyz

IMG_3045.jpg

• Like 1

Well after my escapade with a Spitfire I'm finally back behind the wheel of my halftrack.  Remember these rear lights...

IMG_2982.jpg

...TA-DAH...

IMG_3090.jpg

I took a few deep breaths - closed my eyes and pointed the red brush in their general direction - looks like I hit the right bits - if only I had been as good at 'Spot the ball' back in the day ;)

I also had a quick play to see how the lads fit inside...

IMG_3088.jpg

...it's looking a bit 'snug' in there.  I can't decide whether to do it with the machine gun mounted on the turret or whether to have it just on the pole...

IMG_3089.jpg

...any preferences folks???

There is a chap to man it by the way :thumbsup:

I also got those stowage racks at the back fitted...

redlights.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

...oh and those leather seat pads inside - I wish I'd done them before I put the thing together though - FIDDLY!!!

IMG_3091.jpg

Those things on the inside of the sides by the way - I think they are fuel tanks???  Bit of a dangerous place to put them maybe???  Anyway - I have painted the caps in brass - they look red here though - should have cleaned that brush better after doing the lights :doh:

The final bit of progress for tonight was painting the side stowage...

IMG_3095.jpg

...now it's back to the dreaded filters...

IMG_3096.jpg

...I have watched all the videos that folk were good enough to upload - thanks for that - so now I need to 'slop some on'...

IMG_3094.jpg

...here is the first coat - really well shaken and stirred - 'brown for dark green' in the whole interior...

I can't see zip - but I will give it several more coats over the coming days and we will see :whistle:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Looking good.

Think I prefer it without the mg ring as then it looks different to the US M3 version.

I will have to look for some pictures of the ring - I guess it is bare metal in places and shiny too - where the 50 cal runs round the ring - a bit like rail tracks go whiny on top...

I think this is the way to go. 

Filters are there to change the tone or give the color a tinge and to give different colors something in common, to bring them together. Make up your mind what intention you have to use the Filters. Highlight, discolor some areas, darken the lower parts etc. And then use the appropriate.product. When you apply ot over the whole vehicle you wont see much difference.

• Thanks 1

You can go darker and even lighter. You can also build up layers of dust and grime with them. Haven't figured out all the possibilities myself. As soon as you start doing your washes with oil paints and thinners, you will see that there is the right strength for the task, independent of the term you call it wash, filter, or whatever.

• Thanks 1

Evening All - OK - nothing is glued and I know I need to do some work on the 50cal mounting ring but - do we prefer the gunner in or out???

gunner.jpg

no_gunner.jpg

...well what do you think - opinions would be appreciated - Thanks :D

• Like 1

Both look good.....

If you're putting the other little chaps in the back i's say with the gunner.

since seeing this take shape i'm tempted to get a wee 1/72 tiger....you see the BAD influence you have on me @BIG X ! 😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Both look good.....

If you're putting the other little chaps in the back i's say with the gunner.

since seeing this take shape i'm tempted to get a wee 1/72 tiger....you see the BAD influence you have on me @BIG X ! 😄

DON'T - GO FOR THE AIRFIX ONE - I had a look at one and they are horrid little things.  If your like me and doing this for 'fun' then I would definitely go with PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY and this looks a beauty.  You get 3 kits in the box and you can build it in 4 different variants...

PANZER_IV.png

pan_iv.png

The Panzer IV served EVERYWHERE and throughout nearly all the war - so your options are massive.  Looking at the above I like option B the best - but hey - back to my halftrack ;)

• Like 1

I've given up on the filters - please don't beat me up over it - but after 4 coats and no discernible difference I am moving on.

Life is just to short and this is supposed to be fun.  I'll save the blue one as it was great on my spitfire exhausts - but for this - forget it - I've finished sticking bits on - so I guess it's time for a gloss coat tomorrow and then some weathering with the Flory washes - now they do work.  Anyway here is where I ended up tonight...

I decided to go with the gunner in and did a test fit to make sure his 'band of brothers' will all fit snugly too...

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

...they look comfy enough - but they aren't glued in yet as I want to grime up the cab a bit.

I did paint the turret ring gunmetal and highlighted with a bit of silver - it looks really good in 'real life'.

• Like 4

Now I've still got a machine gun that is supposed to be glued on in the rear of the cab - but I also have that spare 50cal and pole mount.  So I thought I might put that in instead - I've seen plenty of pictures on the web with halftracks absolutely 'loaded' with them - here is a test - what do you think...

IMG_3114.jpg 

...its not stuck so I could pose it at any angle.  Too much???

• Like 2

I got the jerry cans and the outside stowage on - but I'm leaving the blanket thing that goes on the front mud guard off - it just looks naff...

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

...anyway time to gloss this baby up - get some panel lines on and then some 'restrained' mud / dust / dirt / grime - never done that before - so it should be fun - I hope ;)

• Like 4

Just now, Arachnid said:

Excellent ,wanna try one of these

...you can't - you'll have try THREE - that's how they're boxed ;) :lol:

Fantastic value for money - very well built for what they are - BUT I'm sure the experts and connoisseurs are going mental at the quality compared to proper 1/35 stuff.

I have 2 left and I think I might do some kind of canvas top on one and make it into an ambulance - like this one...

image.jpg

• Like 2

You are right , once you enjoy 1/35th scale, you don't go back. Not that you can't have fun with 1/72nd scale models. But for me it adds more.space to try different things and to see what detail they can put I to such a kit is just amazing. Would.like to try 1/48 as well though. Because those are much more affordable than compared to the better 1/35 for 45€+.

• Like 1

Looking really good. Like the 50 cal on the rear pole - they did tend to be uparmed with scrounged extra guns (many from the cupola mounted 50 cals on Shermans as not many British Tanks seem to have carried them). 

Was wondering when the decals were coming along :pray:

The figures look the part too - I might use them myself rather than try and source replacements.

As to cleaning off the weathering - don't bother. Gloss the area, apply decal, matt and weather more! That's the joys of AFVs - mud or stowage hides most sins :rofl2:

An ambulance version with a cover would be pretty cool (and save having to paint the insides). Not sure if it would have carried guns as fairly sure I remember reading they were banned under the Geneva Convention on vehicles marked with the Red Cross. Skytrex do appropriate decals for the Red Cross as well.

All the best

Ben 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lawzer said:

If you fancy an early one - Zvezda do a really decent one (It's sold as a snap kit but the detail is really good and it compares well to Dragon etc when built)

Otherwise I'd go for the Revell Ausf E (Their Ausf H (Early version) is not that good). It's a fairly decent kit and builds quite well unlike the expensive Dragon one which has fit issues with the running gear.

Trumpter also do Tigers but I don't have these in the stash, so unsure what they are like.

Hope that helps

Kind Regards

Ben

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking really good. Like the 50 cal on the rear pole - they did tend to be uparmed with scrounged extra guns (many from the cupola mounted 50 cals on Shermans as not many British Tanks seem to have carried them). 

Was wondering when the decals were coming along :pray:

The figures look the part too - I might use them myself rather than try and source replacements.

As to cleaning off the weathering - don't bother. Gloss the area, apply decal, matt and weather more! That's the joys of AFVs - mud or stowage hides most sins :rofl2:

An ambulance version with a cover would be pretty cool (and save having to paint the insides). Not sure if it would have carried guns as fairly sure I remember reading they were banned under the Geneva Convention on vehicles marked with the Red Cross. Skytrex do appropriate decals for the Red Cross as well.

All the best

Ben 

Hi Ben,

I would do the ambulance with a 'full cover' and I have the SKYTREX decals already to hand. ;)