HMS Victory Revell 1:225

Some years ago I started a build of this but after a dramatic tumble from the shelf I abandoned the whole thing. Now however, with a brand new purchase of the kit (plus a good few spares from the old build) I am all ready to start again. First of all I decided to go for the decoration of the stern. I had to get myself a size 20/0 brush and an optivisor but I am quite pleased with the results so far.

37170760904_56de18aade_k.jpg20171022_223634 by markleecarter, on Flickr

I am going to redo the lettering however but I think this shows just how good the detailing is on this little model. I did have to sand off the giant bosses where the lanterns attach and you can still make them out a bit but in real life, and once the lanterns are attached it shouldn't show up too much.

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has made this kit before will know that while it is in many ways a lovely kit, for some silly reason someone decided it would be a good idea to mould loads of coils of rope on the deck. Sanding them off would require re-scribing the deck lines and I'm not sure this would really work.

20171107_223920

So I decided instead to make the deck from some grooved plastic card I already had. Technically the planks are too wide but they match the original revel ones fairly closely so I think it will be ok:

20171107_224055

The skid beams are simply cut from the original deck.

20171107_224458

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Mark:

I am in the process of building this exact model and searching the internet for images of other builds I was totally impressed by the quality of the paintwork you achieved particularly given the tiny raised details at 1:225 scale.  This is by far the nicest work I have seen in detailing this kit.  I was sorry that your posts appears to have ended in 2017.  Did you stop work on the model? I hope not as it would be great if you could update the thread with your progress as your building continued.  It is an inspiration to me and I am certain for others as well.

John S.

California, USA

• Like 2