Tips on fixing RAF camo 'accident'

RiotRolo

Hi,

I am close to finishing my 1 48 Mosquito however after masking the first camo colour with blu tack and liquid mask, the liquid mask did not completely cover the camo. It left the model with the second camo colour over the grey camo; I attempted to clean it up by re spraying the areas affected with the grey I used however as I built the colour up with different shades to add more depth the finish looks patchy and uneven.

My question is, what is the best way to re do the grey camo colour without changing the camo pattern already laid down? I have been trying blu tack as it worked well last time but I am running out of it fast and feel it is a waste to use a pack of it for one model which causes it to go hard and not being able to use it again. 

Thanks,

Ryan

I'll leave the respraying suggestions for those who are more knowledgeable than myself, I just want to say, don't throw your Blu Tack away after is has been used once. I've been using the same lump for over two years. Just stick it all together and then keep stretching or pulling it apart over and over and after a few minutes it will be as good as new. I don't know if the same is true for enamel paint, but for acrylic, the paint just seems to magically disappear.

• Like 3

I can say I've Rattle canned enamels. While using poster tack a similar product i presume. And it still works i just mush it together and reuse it the poster tack changes color but stay’s adhesive. Even with the color absorption, i don't get any paint color transfer with it.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Maybe I should have been keeping it haha, I never thought of Poundland selling it but might buy a pack or two and just re use it. Nevertheless, im going to have to buy some more as I dont have enough to cover the camo pattern. I also bought some 3mm Tamiya Curved tape so will give that a go as well.

In the meantime I will start my Stuka!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

The concept of throwing something away when it's still usable, does not compute. Incidentally, if you have some money that isn't fresh enough for your needs, or some old notes that are surplus to your requirements, I'm happy to PM you my address. :wink:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use blue tack for my camp, I use cheap white tack from poundland, there's twice as much in each pack and it works just as well. When used it just gets really rolled and used again. Turns a dirty looking gray, but never leaves marks behind. I've heard blue tack can leave a greasy slug trail, especially on matt paint, when removed, but white tack doesn't. 

Matt

I use Blu Tac and White Tac on my builds, rolled up into thin sausages which are then used to hold paper masks just above the surface of the model, it can leave a residue but I use a small roll of Tac to roll it off. And I keep using the same stuff for years.

Cheers

Dennis