This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Nick Belbin

Gunpowder . . .

Can't quite believe that this hasn't been mentioned yet . . .

We were out Saturday night so did 'catch up' early yesterday evening - just as we were about to eat!!

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

(I don't watch Game of Thrones so am not used to seeing John Snow.)

Nick

Watched this saturday , a bit gruesome in places , but then again the punishments are historically accurate , so can't see why anyone should object. Television should educate as well as entertain and I can't see any reason to gloss over these events just to protect the sensibilities of a few.

Andrew

Have to agree Andrew - TBH I thought the execution was remarkably restrained given we had a pressing, and a hanging, drawing & quartering.  Some people seem to have decided it was overly graphic - I disagree.  My only complaint was I felt the plot moved a tad slowly.

Jonners

I think it was an excellent production. I would however put a heavy duty warning before the programme. 

My daughter is a Tudor nerd who has sucked up anything from that period for over 20 years and can vouch for the methods of shall we say ‘dispatching the heretics’. I knew of these methods, but I think it’s a first for the graphic depiction of such methods on TV.

I’m eternally grateful for not having lived through the ‘good old days’.

As for the plot being slow, that’s no bad thing as I think the context is viral

to the understanding of the reasons for the events being depicted.

Must admit though, I wouldn’t pick an argument with Guy Fawkes......

Trevor

Very good 10/10 although i'm surprised they hid the priests in a seat and behind a wall,i'd have thought they'd have had a priesthole...

If you’re impatient I believe the rest of the episodes are on iplayer.

I’ll have to wait until everyone else has disappeared so I get the telly to myself as everyone else seems to be squeamish:sick:

Trevor 

Cracking stuff, but can’t help be reminded of events East of here!

Graham

To be honest, I didn't think E1 was as gruesome as the reviews had led me to believe.

I'll get some spare time later today and catch up with E2.

If you can get your hands on it, BBC Gunpowder, (5-11 The Greatest Terror Plot) is well worth a watch:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mhwfn

Had this on my recorder and played first episode yesterday, one of the rare occasions I stopped it about 40 minutes in and deleted them off my tv box. I don't know what jarred me, I wasn't put off by the gruesome scenes, I think it is good thing to include for accuracy. I just didn't really find the story hold together very well, and characters were kind of disjointed from their environment.