BAF Mirage 5 BA Italeri 1/32nd

Hello,

Here is my Mirage 5 BA in BAF No. 8 Squadron as part of the 3 Wing at Bierset during late ‘80s.

The Mirage 5 BA was optimized for ground attacks and was in fact a version of the Mirage IIIE as used by the French Armée de l'Air but equipped with less sophisticated avionics.

KIT

The model is based on Italeri Mirage IIIE/R in 1/32nd scale.

This kit is good in size and shapes. Details are generally good but sometimes are a bit poor especially panel lines due the shared molding with the IIIC kit.

CONSTRUCTION

I found a little bit confusing the Italeri instruction sheet, it could be due the common parts with the IIIC kit.

To convert the IIIE kit into a 5 BA I had to change the following airframe parts:

·         Replaced the IIIE radome with a longer and pointed radome: started from the resin part made by Renaissance Model I had to reshape the contour, re-scribe all the panel lines and re-done the triangular big vent under the radome.

·         Modified the ventral canoe with arresting hook: I modifid the plastic part of the kit instead of using the resin part;

·         Added an ECM package at the base of the vertical fin: I used the resin part made by Renaissance Model;

·         Added an ECM fairing above the rudder: I made this part was from scratch;

·         Added a chaff&flares launcher under the rear fuselage: I used the resin part made by Renaissance Model;

·         Added and air scoop on the left side of the rear fuselage: I made this part was from scratch;

·         Modified the Instrument panel: I modified the plastic part and decals;

·         Added the small intake and a couple of aerial blades under the nose: I made this part was from scratch.

Other than the modification listed above I had to add more details using aftermarket as a resin ejection seats, resin wheels, resin ATAR 9 exhaust, resin LAU-32 rocket pods.

I made from scratch the ventral pylon, the rocket pod adapters and the FOD for air intakes.

I added some details such as hydraulic pipes and electric lines into the undercarriage bays, undercarriage legs and cockpit tube.

The pitot tube is turned metal set from Master.

I tried to add some missing details around the fuselage:

·         Panel lines under and above the fuselage;

·         Fuel drain points and intakes;

·         All the aerial antennas;

·         Cannon’s barrels.

A couple of Mk.82 retarded bomb where donated from the Academy’s F/A-18 kit.

COLORS & MARKINGS

I choose to do a BA in wraparound scheme of the ‘80s.

The BA48 took part in a secret air combat training with the RAF Harriers based at Gütersloh in April 1982, so the pilots of the 3 and 4Sqn could prepare themselves for air battles in the imminent Falkland conflict with Argentine Mirage IIIEA and Dagger.

Other than the 8 Squadron badge on the vertical tail the BA48 spotted a 1 Squadron badge (zapped, I presume).

Paints were from the acrylics lines of Gunze and Tamiya.

Squadron markings, serial numbers and stencils are from DACO and Renaissance Model decal sheets for the BAF Mirages.

Some RBF tags were added to finish the model.

And now some pictures of the completed model.

CIAO!

Piero

M5BA48_24

M5BA48_25

M5BA48_26

M5BA48_23

M5BA48_22

M5BA48_21

M5BA48_20

M5BA48_19

M5BA48_18

M5BA48_17

M5BA48_16

M5BA48_15

M5BA48_13

M5BA48_12

M5BA48_11

M5BA48_10

M5BA48_8

M5BA48_7

M5BA48_5

• Like 32

Wow, that is one to aspire to. I think the best BAF Mirage I have seen yet, fantastic! Did you do anything to the panel lines? I don't have the kit yet (have a few planned) but they look very scale and well done from where I am looking.

cheers,

David

Hello,

thank you very much for your kindly comments!!!!

Here a couple of pictures of the model before the painting stage:

M5_WIP1

M5_WIP2

I hope to take soon some better pictures of the model with the right light.

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 1