Venturas at Night - 459 Sqn, 1575 (SD) Flt & VMF(N)531

A bit more progress. There are still quite a few boxes of small parts to add.

51041469096_a748068a7a_h.jpg

But not very many decals.  This is all the decals for 3 aircraft

51040737268_2115179509_h.jpg

There is room for improvement in the landing gear, although it is not too bad. The main gear consists of just the main strut and the drag strut. it is not too hard to add a few more pieces from microstrip and stretched sprue.

51041469126_61476f60fb_h.jpg

The tailwheel seems to have the jacking point moulded into the strut whereas it should be forward of the strut, which is, in any case, too far aft. So the legs were extended and the 'box' removed from the strut.

51041560197_a4e223bf92_h.jpg

• Like 2

Quite a bit of progress but things may slow down from here.

Paint and decals on each one

1575 - Desert camouflage over Night

51041560027_c6748b56fb_h.jpg

531 - Three tone USN scheme, heavily weathered. it needs more work on the weathering, perhaps less rather than more wear and tear?

51041560157_2d3bdc5f5f_h.jpg

459 - USN scheme overpainted in Neutral Gray / Olive Drab, a little bit washed out in theMed sun but kept tidy - CO's aircraft

51040737168_5c117d4faf_h.jpg[/url]

The tissue is soaking off a misplaced roundel.

There's still a lot of work to go (undercarriage details, guns and turrets etc )but the end is in sight. Just as well as I have promised myself to do no other model until they are finished.

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

The best indicator of how it is progressing is the shrinking parts box. Still to be added are the props, (done) turrets, (half completed) bomb bay doors, (459 only) astrodomes, radar, (531 only) forward facing guns and a few other minor parts. The pear-shaped decals are the tailwheel doors - they are closed when on the ground and I didn't scribe them. The Minicraft tailwheel is a few mm too far aft and the leg is too short.

51129247320_0de665a72f_h.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

They are finally finished in the last days of April 2021, just in time to take to the local model club May meeting. I'll post more pictures in RFI in due course. Quite an epic but I'm happy with the results. I don't think I will do any multi-engine triple builds for a a while!

51254250806_d4514cca85_h.jpg

51253519467_34a6e6db1f_h.jpg

51254995144_b15beb3d96_h.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful work, Ed!

My VMF(N)-531 Ventura got put on hold a couple of months ago when time at the range and loading bench took priority, but in the meantime I ordered up another glass nose PV-1 and a Special Hobby PV-2... I feel the model yen returning.  All I want Ventura-wise is a glass-nose patrol bomber, a night fighter, a gun-nose patrol bomber, a gunship, and a Harpoon, that's all, seems reasonable, yeah?

Thanks for providing some multi-Ventura inspiration, mate. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed reading this through for a second time. I see what you mean about the wheel wells. Nice details!

Nice collection in the end. What about the other three still in your stash? ;) 

@rob Lyttle really tweaked my interest about the fowler flaps. Have to add it to my list of mods and dig into his builds. 

Reading comments on these threads it seems there are lots of Venturas in stashes out there. For some reason I like them a lot and will probably pick up more in the future.