Hudson to Electra Model 14 conversion

DennisTheBear

Hi all! This is not my usual interest, but as I have recently acquired a few classic airliners I am looking into the possibility of converting some of my military models into classic airliners.

In this instance I have an Airfix 1/72 Lockheed Hudson I, and am wondering if it is possible to convert it to  Model 14 Super Electra without buying aftermarket (with the exception of decals). I can do some scratchbuilding.

I have done some searching on the interweb but have not found any examples. Any info would be more than welcome, even if it is in the negative.

DennisTheBear

Dennis,

I also plan to this conversion one day.

Looking at this pic: http://number59squadron.com/history_images/ca_hudson_profile.jpg you simply fill in the hole for the gun turret up top and fill over the glazing on the nose.

Engine sub-variants may differ, but only internally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

Dennis,

Looking at this pic: http://number59squadron.com/history_images/ca_hudson_profile.jpg you simply fill in the hole for the gun turret up top and fill over the glazing on the nose.

Wow- that's a pretty neat scheme for Chamberlain's aircraft! Never saw that one before!

Mike

11 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

Dennis,

Scott, thanks for that! Makes the plan look easier than I thought!

8 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Have a look into Revells Hudson.

This kit is from Special Hobby and you have all parts for a Lockheed 14 Super Electra.

modelldoc

Modelldoc, thanks for that info! I will consult SWMBO(OPOD) as to the acquisition of said kit.:unsure:

3 hours ago, John_W said:

The Revell kit is MPM and can be a bit of a challenge to put together.

John_W, if I can get this one I'll keep it in mind!

72modeller, I didn't know Chamberlain had his own aircraft either!

Thanks for the replies every one! I think I'm formulating a thought for an idea for a plan!!:pilot:

DennisTheBear

30 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

I hope you're doing it in East-West markings ...

Haven't decided yet, Admiral. I've only found one image online for an East-West Super Electra, and that is the one used by CSIRO for cloud seeding.

I am, however, going to be doing my Airfix Avro Anson in the guise of the rather obscure Townsville & Country Airways.:cowboy:

DennisTheBear

Here is a compatriot of Chamberlain’s aircraft

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fWm03yLXMvc/Tt3X3DwAOOI/AAAAAAAAAHY/Z2PKsri2jpw/s1600/lockheed_14_electra_639872.jpg

There are a few issues with the Airfix kit you need to be aware of:

1. The canopy is a bit squashed

2. The engines are quite frankly pants and have no bearing on reality. As far as I am aware there are no aftermarket replacements for the Cyclone engined variant

3. The elevators are a one-piece unit and not split as shown in the kit

I have photos of the Hendon Hudson in our Walkaround section which may be of use.

If you are doing a demobbed Hudson as were used in Australia and Canada there may be other differences too.

HTH

Trevor

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Here is a compatriot of Chamberlain’s aircraft

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fWm03yLXMvc/Tt3X3DwAOOI/AAAAAAAAAHY/Z2PKsri2jpw/s1600/lockheed_14_electra_639872.jpg

There are a few issues with the Airfix kit you need to be aware of:

1. The canopy is a bit squashed

2. The engines are quite frankly pants and have no bearing on reality. As far as I am aware there are no aftermarket replacements for the Cyclone engined variant

3. The elevators are a one-piece unit and not split as shown in the kit

I have photos of the Hendon Hudson in our Walkaround section which may be of use.

If you are doing a demobbed Hudson as were used in Australia and Canada there may be other differences too.

HTH

Trevor

Thanks for that Trevor, I'll be on the lookout for those, but unless I can find replacement engines in the spares box I'll just live with it.

DennisTheBear

Dennis, a solution to the poor Cyclones in the Airfix kit might come from the Italeri Hudson mk III/IV which is a P & W engined variant but which comes with the Cyclone engines & cowls that all other versions of this kit, Revell. MPM etc come with. Perhaps someone out there who has made an Italeri kit might have the Cyclone engines & cowls available to donate, swap or sell for a modest amount? It might be worth starting a thread in the wanted forum?

Steve.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Dennis, a solution to the poor Cyclones in the Airfix kit might come from the Italeri Hudson mk III/IV which is a P & W engined variant but which comes with the Cyclone engines & cowls that all other versions of this kit, Revell. MPM etc come with. Perhaps someone out there who has made an Italeri kit might have the Cyclone engines & cowls available to donate, swap or sell for a modest amount? It might be worth starting a thread in the wanted forum?

Steve.

Thanks Steve, didn't think of that, just too zombie-like this week with (very) early mornings and late nights. Will get one started soon.

DennisTheBear

Edited by DennisTheBear
Baad speiling
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 22:27, DennisTheBear said:

I didn't know Chamberlain had his own aircraft either!

He didn't: it was provided by British Airways (the one that merged with Imperial Airways to form BOAC in 1939).

John.