My First Messerschmitt 109 for Decades!

For no other reason than I had not built a 109 (or any German aircraft for that matter) for decades, I thought that I would give my Spitfires and Hurricanes a play mate. So I thought I’d have a go at the latest 109 in 1/72 from Airfix.

I will hold my hands up and confess that my knowledge of Luftwaffe types is rather sparse and this is built straight out of the box, paint potlets and all. My only additions are Tamiya tape seat belts and the censored tail marking (courtesy of a transfer sheet from SAM in the 80’s!).

Not my best by any means, but I’ve now started to redress the balance in the balance of air power over Max Headroom mansion. The kit went together well enough, but the aileron mass balances, wing gun barrels and tailplane bracing struts barely made it off the sprue. I have fine toothed saws, a sharp blade and sprue cutters and I had to be very careful in separating them. The aerial mast however didn’t survive separation and what you see is cobbled from the spares box.

Enough words then, here is my fourth completed model for the year.

37808783766_0777ccdfea_b.jpg

24004560518_e5ff662bf1_b.jpg

37147480044_9999bdc06a_b.jpg

.....and here are some of its new friends

37808801376_d547e9ca13_b.jpg

I have at least another couple of Spitfires somewhere.

I have a 190 in the wings ready to give help if needed!

Trevor

• Like 19

Very nicely done Trevor :thumbsup: 

A classic scheme for a 109. This is a superb advertisement for Airfix sets; given that you used the paints from the set. They look great!

I feel the German pilot may feel

a little nervous in the scenario presented by the last photograph :door: 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Ah ha, that's you hooked now :)

Duncan B

@Duncan B possibly but I have way too many RAF holes in my collection.

Funnily enough though a project for next year is a Finnish G2 or G6, as I have some rather nice stickies for them.

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/camouflage-decals-4-finnish-fighters-wwii

Not decided yet on Eduard or Zvezda. It’ll have to be in the later colours though as I don’t have an airbrush for mottling. I already have a Hurricane mostly done from this sheet.

Trevor

• Like 1

I like the markings on that silver spit - the one with the red flashes on wings and tailplane. Any chance you could post a couple pics of that?

Is it a trainer? I would like to know what the Sqdn markings are? It looks like a lovely scheme.

4 hours ago, cybershed said:

I like the markings on that silver spit - the one with the red flashes on wings and tailplane. Any chance you could post a couple pics of that?

Is it a trainer? I would like to know what the Sqdn markings are? It looks like a lovely scheme.

@cybershed

Just for you here is my ‘whiffed’ Mk.1. The basic premise is that there was no war in Europe because at a pre war Neurenburg rally, a meteorite wiped out all the Nazis just before AH was about to give a speech bout how horrid everyone had been.

So the Spitfire development became somewhat stunted......

37627945850_f57684c215_b.jpg

37175024094_610dbeb70c_b.jpg

37885080361_277395ffa2_b.jpg

Trevor

Many thanks Trevor.

I do not mind it at all when people go 'off-script' with their paint schemes. 

I'm currently going a little bit 'awol' with my Airfix Ju-87 paint scheme. Just a wee change here and there can really help enhance a model or some aspect of detail.

Your red & silver scheme is nice - it would make a good racer livery.  Especially if you applied it to a later Mk of Spit with a 4-bladed prop.  A nice idea that harks back to the aircraft's Schneider Cup origins. 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic Mr Headroom  :)

It would seem your 109 has it's work cut out for it from the photo!

Nice build and well done on the expanded collection

Cheers

Bruce

• Thanks 1