Airfix Vulcan

Hi everyone.

Much to my own surprise I find myself completing yet another Airfix Vulcan, this time though a commision build, which is just as well as I have no more space for another one.

The brief was to finish it as XM575, in the dark sea grey wrap around camo, in 44 Sqdn markings based at RAF Waddington circa 1982 ( XM575 now resides at East Midlands Aeropark).

The build was with all the usual well known fit issues, but this being my third Vulcan build I knew what to expect and how  best to get around them. All panel lines were rescribed and I added a little extra detail

in the rather sparse wheel wells. I also replaced the kits very poor jetpipes and added a set of my own turned brass 301 series jet pipes.

I used the Flightpath photo etch set, along with a metal undercarriage set and a Master re-fuelling probe.

Decals used were a mixture of Freightdog's 'Gods of Sea and Fire', Airdecal's 'Camouflaged Vulcans' , Fundekals 'Vulcan B.Mk 2' and the Airfix set provided in the box.

Painted with Xtracolor enamels and finished with Alclad semi matt cote. 

Thank for looking, all C&C welcomed.

Finally here she is with XJ824 built a couple of years ago.

• Like 73

49 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I’m sure your client will be delighted with their new Vulcan, it’s a stunner :)

I can assure he’s very very happy with his Vulcan! 

100% flawless and correct in every detail!! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C-J said:

I can assure he’s very very happy with his Vulcan! 

100% flawless and correct in every detail!! 

Thanks very much C-J... I'm getting quite attached to her on my shelf now :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, replicant said:

Hello gazza,

beautiful!!!!!! canu mix up adresses and send it to me?:clap2:

Sorry, somebody will be very upset.

4 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Great job.

There have been some excellent Vulcans on here of late. I'm almost tempted to bite the bullet, get the scriber out & buy one.

Pete

Don't forget the copious amounts of filler.

1 hour ago, snapper_city said:

Great job Gary. Must crack on and finish my one. It probably only needs another 3 - 4 hours work to be completed. Trying to finish another build for Telford first. 

Come on Mark, get it finished, I want to see it.:frantic:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, gazza l

6 hours ago, gazza l said:

All panel lines were rescribed

5 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Great job.

There have been some excellent Vulcans on here of late. I'm almost tempted to bite the bullet, get the scriber out & buy one.

Pete

Fantastic model.

Can you tell me why the need to rescribe? Inaccurate panel lines? (Sorry – I don't know much about the Vulcan kits)

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Anyone that can rescribe an Airfix Vulcan that well deserves more than a medal in my opinion. 

That is truly one outstanding piece of modelling, the only issue that I see is if those lads at Airfix see this, they may think that the current (1983 issue) kit is still too good to replace with a new tool! 

So thanks for the inspiration, and boo hoo for probably delaying a new Vulcan kit (only joking!).

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dazey said:

Fantastic model.

Can you tell me why the need to rescribe? Inaccurate panel lines? (Sorry – I don't know much about the Vulcan kits)

Regards,

David

Thanks very much David.

The panel lines are reasonably accurate position wise, but they are molded in raised detail which was quite common in early kits... this one dating back from 1983!

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Anyone that can rescribe an Airfix Vulcan that well deserves more than a medal in my opinion. 

That is truly one outstanding piece of modelling, the only issue that I see is if those lads at Airfix see this, they may think that the current (1983 issue) kit is still too good to replace with a new tool! 

So thanks for the inspiration, and boo hoo for probably delaying a new Vulcan kit (only joking!).

Cheers... Dave 

Thanks Dave.

Hopefully the 'lads from Airfix' won't see it then, we don't want them abandoning any plans to re-tool a new one, with nice finely engraved panel lines and NO fit issues.

Cheers everyone, gazza l

• Like 2