LCM Camo pattern

Bikerbob

Sirs

I am in the process of building a 1:35 Tamiya LCM kit which I hope to place in an Normandy landing diorama

Please correct me if I am wrong but British lcm's used white with blue paint camo pattern during the Normandy landing

Would anyone have a color photo of a LCM showing this pattern

Thanks in advanceĀ 

Bikerbob

Do you mean Trumpeter?

If you google images you might find some pics...but colour? doubtful apart from models. There was a modeller called Alan on Amorama that built quite a few landing craft a while back. You might search there.

Tom

I took a gander on Google and really didn't seen too many British LCM Mk3s. Ā I know the British had more of the Mk 1 versions but did use the 3 also.

Ā 

I haven't had much luck finding info on the use of the LCMs in the first waves. Ā On the US beaches seems they were used to carry the engineers in the early waves but haven't seen a portrayal of them with that load in any pictures.

Ā 

What I found about the British LCMs was there use to bring in cargo, jeeps, etc. later in the day.

Ā 

Hope Dan pops in with more info.

Images of LCMs seem fairly rare, but those I have seen have been in typical looking D-Day colours of White with either B15 or B30, same as the LCIs and LCTs. B15 looks like a medium/dark shade in the B&W photos whilst B30 looks a paler shade.

Ā 

831521c5fd9a3c102bbf83d4abfd35fa.jpg

Ā 

White with B30 (the paler ones):

c5d6123d-f97f-47ae-be2e-ed662e723f1c.jpg

Ā 

White with B15 (the darker ones):

f972131c-a8a8-484e-a485-31db25284d57.jpg

Ā 

But then there's this from the same film as the above two stills are from:

8977b11b-10dd-4f55-b98e-a402bffef5e6.jpg

Ā 

This looks to be a mix of B30 andĀ G5 with White.

Hi,

Ā 

They were the official colour names for the RN from May 1943 onwards.

Ā 

B15 was a Blue of 15% Light Reflectance Value

Ā 

B30 was a Blue of 30% Light Reflectance Value

Ā 

G5 was a Grey of 5% LRV

Ā 

B30 is a colour we at Sovereign are engaged in research for with a view to revision. The Snyder & Short chips upon which the current Colourcoats (and every other model paint brand's B30 since Colourcoats first produced it) is based on a sample which has evidently yellowed with age giving it a greeny hue. As you can see above it was in reality a dull light blue. As always, it's easy to prove that there's something wrong but takes much more work to offer a robust new argument for what it should be!

Ā 

We already revised B5 and B15 and released a paper explaning the deviation from Snyder & Short recently. If interested, you can download it here for a quick flick through

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/Royal_Navy_colours_of_World_War_Two_-_B5_and_B15_c6b7e32d-4433-497d-abfb-1e94c54cf9ea.pdf?6772372709227877314

Ā 

Hope that helps :)

BB, if you send me a PM with your email, I'll send you a picture from the book 'the Beaulieu river goes to war'. In OT on page 41 is a black and white picture of a Royal Navy LCM, you'll notice when you see it that it differs from the US ones in some small details, no 50 cals, winch on the rear deck etc. It I'd marked, as previously stated in your thread, as every RN vessel of this period, blue and white.

Cheers the Woo.