'Greif' by name, Greif by nature!

On 05/11/2017 at 8:02 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very impressive ... looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks CFFU. Free time is my biggest enemy at the moment! Hopefully I'll be able to tackle the mottling this weekend though :worry:

On 05/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, AdrianMF said:

w-w-o-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w.....

Brave man. I have TWO of these in the stash ($8 each), and fondle the plastic from time to time. I am following this build to the end!!

Regards,

Adrian

Haha! Cheers Adrian, TWO is just asking for it! Maybe I'll convince you to start one?

On 06/11/2017 at 6:26 AM, Bungalow_Bill said:

Wow, I am impressed that you've rescribed and rivieted the beast.

Nice work!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, it's far from perfect but once all the paint is on, decaled and weathered, hopefully the mistakes I've made won't show too much.

On 06/11/2017 at 6:40 AM, Martian Hale said:

Its looking very impressive!

Martian

Thanks man!

3 hours ago, Booty003 said:

An incredible looking aircraft - you have done a great job on re-scribing and riveting the old Airfix beast - no small task indeed.  Looks fab under a coat of primer.

Phil

Cheers - this is the first time I've really done anything like this so I am pleased. I've learnt lot's as well so it's really been worth it. It actually opens up the secondhand or old kit buying market as there's so much still out there with raised panel lines that I feel I can now tackle.

• Like 1

Evening BM's, ready for some mottling and splinter camo?!

IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6244.jpg

All, in all, not bad. There was some sputtering towards the end which I had to go over with the grey and then again with the green. The above picture shows the damage. That's now gone fortunately :)

I've also masked up and added the lighter green:

IMG_6245.jpg

I've added some variations to this and will tomorrow (hopefully) apply the second colour.

Cheers, JB

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 13

On 07/11/2017 at 6:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know what you mean about free-time I've been to 5 doctors visits 4 Phys therapy visits for me.  Two Dr. visits for my wife including one surgery for her. All that and one Veterinarian appt in the last 3 weeks. 

Sorry to hear :( Hope the wife hasn't had anything too unpleasant to correct and the dogs are ok?

Thank you for the concern SWMBO is never truly ok but has good days and bad. She suffers from Fibromyalgia and has to get injecions in her spine to dull the nerves. This is done in an OR about twice a year because of the spinal chord. Sadly she is never truly fine. The Dog is just another year older and needed his Vaccinations again.

For myself its a combo of a chronic issue and an Ooops moment. I have been dealing with a situation since Feburary where my bones in my left foot partially liquefied and reformed into a boomerang. Which causes really poor balance issues as there is no stability from the left foot. So I fell recently due to this and partially tore my Right Rotator cuff. Id include photo’s of the foot. However young people see this site, and i dont need to give them nightmares. 

Dennis

• Sad 1

Don't forget squeamish not so young people too. :) Sounds like you've had a troublesome time, lets hope for calmer waters ahead, for a while. Take care.

Your Greif is looking really rather good. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
stupid shift key.
  • Thanks 1

Good evening BM's, time for another update! I have been very lucky being allowed on the modelling all weekend by SWMBO!!

Splinter camo completion was on the task list for today, so first up some masking:

IMG_6250.jpg

I followed the instructions explicitly here, as with the paint codes. These converted (almost) to Tamiya XF19 for the grey, XF11 for the dark green and XF61 for the lighter greeny-brown and mottling. 

Here's the results:

IMG_6252.jpg

Masking tape on the wing tips, nose and tail for protection!

IMG_6253.jpg

I also managed to get the red rudder completed as well, although I may have to 'edge' the green up a little, where the tail fin meets the fuselage.

IMG_6254.jpg
IMG_6255.jpg
IMG_6256.jpg
IMG_6257.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers, JB.

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

There is no denying that that is looking fantastic.  Great work on the mottle and nice sharp demarcation.  Lovely work and goes to show what can be done with an old kit and some good old fashioned hard work!

Phil

• Thanks 1

On 13/11/2017 at 11:50 AM, Booty003 said:

There is no denying that that is looking fantastic.  Great work on the mottle and nice sharp demarcation.  Lovely work and goes to show what can be done with an old kit and some good old fashioned hard work!

Phil

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

That finish is looking great!

Martian

Cheers guys! I am now tempted by other old kits. I was looking at the old Airfix B-26 Marauder last night...

• Like 1

Cracking paint job! Doing the mottle first makes a lot of sense, and it's a really nice and even mottle for 1/72 (or indeed any scale). The splinters look great too. You have well and truly updated this old kit. Looking forward to the detailing.

I do wonder how the guys who sprayed mottle on the real thing got it so even - it's hard enough doing even mottles over a model the size of your hand, let alone something 60-odd feet long!

Regards,

Adrian

On 14/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, woody37 said:

How a great paint job makes an old kit look 21st century, stunning :)

Thanks Woody! I've enjoyed it really... honest! I've learnt a lot on this one and as I said earlier in the thread, it gives confidence to try and update some of the old classics. Although I must confess I have asked for Revell's recent 1/72 "Memphis Belle" for Christmas, as I wanted to avoid mass panel scribing on the next build :D

23 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Only just caught up with this build. You're making an old girl look absolutely stunning.

I'd break out the popcorn but apparently it's bad for me.

Won't stop me following the build though :)

Ha, thanks Phil. I'm eager to crack on, just need some bench time.

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Cracking paint job! Doing the mottle first makes a lot of sense, and it's a really nice and even mottle for 1/72 (or indeed any scale). The splinters look great too. You have well and truly updated this old kit. Looking forward to the detailing.

I do wonder how the guys who sprayed mottle on the real thing got it so even - it's hard enough doing even mottles over a model the size of your hand, let alone something 60-odd feet long!

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, I did the mottle first as I thought, hell if I cock it up or overspray, it's less to correct. I suppose in reality they would have done this last though and might have even got it on the splinter camo, to your point on doing the real thing. I did find myself having to constantly check for evenness, as you say, it's easy to lose perspective in 1/72 let alone over a 60ft fuselage!  Thanks for your kind comments :)

• Like 2

I love your paint scheme! I think the mottling is what threw me off ever getting one of these - the scheme always looked so boring, but combined with the splinter camo it looks wonderful.

"Greif by name, greif by nature" - the kit's behaving like a griffin?!

• Thanks 1

She is looking good! I started one of these about 35 years ago and it never got past the dry fit stage, I've no idea why. I love this aeroplane. While it wasn't much fun to operate - not know when it might burst I to flames - it always had a fascination for me.

They weren't all mottled. There was actually one in USAAF colours after capture!

I can't see myself ever trying it again but if I did I might try the atom bomb modified machine (developed in Czech).

he177v3A

he177v38B

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 16/11/2017 at 3:59 AM, Bungalow_Bill said:

Excellent work!  The scheme looks awesome and I'm looking forward to more.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, I hope to get some more time during the week. I’m just working on protecting the paint work at the moment with some Clear, before masking up ready to paint the landing gear bays. Then it’s decal time... I hope those near 50 year old decals don’t give me too much ‘greif’ 😉

On 16/11/2017 at 10:28 PM, k5054nz said:

I love your paint scheme! I think the mottling is what threw me off ever getting one of these - the scheme always looked so boring, but combined with the splinter camo it looks wonderful.

"Greif by name, greif by nature" - the kit's behaving like a griffin?!

The mottling can put you off... it certainly takes some patience and guts to just go for it! Glad you like though and yes, I was thinking that the title of the post probably needs an update as well 😀

On 17/11/2017 at 3:25 PM, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking good! I started one of these about 35 years ago and it never got past the dry fit stage, I've no idea why. I love this aeroplane. While it wasn't much fun to operate - not know when it might burst I to flames - it always had a fascination for me.

They weren't all mottled. There was actually one in USAAF colours after capture!

I can't see myself ever trying it again but if I did I might try the atom bomb modified machine (developed in Czech).

he177v3A

he177v38B

Martin

That’s some interesting history there Martin and new to me, thanks for sharing. There isn’t a single 177 airframe left in the world so it’s gems like this which are as good as we’ll ever see.

Glad you like my attempt so far 😌

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

It's been a busy couple of weeks in my household as we've just welcomed into the world our first born! Needless to say, plastic time has taken a backseat but in between nappy changes, feeding and catching up on sleep I have managed to cover the Griffon in several coats of Clear and completed the decaling.

Keeping as original as possible, I used the kit decals. Time has taken its toll on these over the years and they were very yellow when I first opened the box. I left them in the sun for several weeks and this has reduced this considerably but they are very fragile:

IMG_6468.jpg

I had applied the first set of decals without trimming the edges and I wasn't overly pleased with the result as you can still see the yellowing:

IMG_6476.jpg

This will clear up with a bit weathering. 

IMG_6473.jpg
IMG_6474.jpg

Trimming to the decal proved risky as this in some cases 'flaked' the edges. I'll either have to weather to cover up or paint the edges. Still, it gives them a rough, applied in the field, look.
IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

This was the very brittle decal that had split into multiple pieces. I need to fill in where it hasn't quite gone back together.

Cheers, JB

• Like 5

I don't understand these apologetic posts from modellers who have just become parents. My wife's well aware I'll be back at the bench in no time once we have a little one! :P

I'm sorry to see your return is accompanied by yellow and flaky decals, JB. Hopefully you can find a simple, easy solution as I've really enjoyed your build.

• Haha 1