'Greif' by name, Greif by nature!

Good afternoon fellow modellers!

After a visit to a well known airshow last month and foolishly walking into the amazing pop-up model stalls that appear on those days, I made a bit of a mistake... Overcome by nostalgia, and with my Old Man edging me on, I picked up Airfix's He 177 'Greif', fully complete and in 1970's boxing for a reasonable twenty quid. Now... this is where the fun began (but honestly what more did I expect?!).

I've spent hours upon hours on her so far from completely reworking the cockpit, with bulkheads, control panels, new seats with milliput padding, through to sanding the entire thing down removing all raised panel lines and rivets then re-scribing the whole bloody lot! There is still a ridiculous amount of work to do and I have some issues I hope you can help me resolve.

First up, the clear glass in these ancient moulds are horrendous and also, through all the re-scribe work one of the 'windows' has popped through into the fuselage. PVA just didn't cut it this time :( does anyone have any genius ideas on how to, from the outside (!), replace the window?

IMG_6115.jpg

Secondly, does anyone know if there are replacement clear parts for these? I've looked online but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks as always, JB

And for those of you interested, here she is so far:

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Stu, that's genius! Just watched a video on making them with the glue - exactly what I need. I'll order a bottle tonight :)

She's certainly coming along. Go on... get the revel one and have a go with the mottling! They're pretty rare now; a familiar auction site wants serious money for them.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm in here for that. Outclassed now by the Revell one it wasn't a bad kit for it's time and the only game in town. Good, except of the clear parts, which are awful. Better to exchange them by vacu. Anyway, good process so far. Maybe you should rework the cowlings (Kühlerklappen)

As usual the brilliant Box art, which made made me very keen on that :

5e4f2db788e18badbcf68448e4eb5c97.jpg

• Like 7

I would try Humbrol clearfix for the little window.  You could also try to glue it from the outside and sand it plain and smooth.

Here a link for the rest:

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set09.html

I don't know, if the Revell ones would fit , so maybe something for  their Abteilung X for spare parts and conversions

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Nice! I recall building this kit at age 17 in high school - final year - and I hand-painted all the framing with a super-fine brush. It came out remarkably well seeing as I USED to have a super-steady hand and it was my pride and joy (so many school friends built models as well in those days - now it is all computer games I guess). I do have the Revell kit from some 5 years ago in my stash... Looking forward to the rest of the thread!

• Like 2

On 22/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nice work on what I consider a fine old kit, I fact I have one in my "to finish" pile. and another n the stash.

Martian

She's a beauty in some ways. I built one when I was 12 or something and still remember that when it was finished, it was one of my favourites - hence the nostalgia. I remember my attempt at the mottling too... this time round it's going to get the airbrush treatment 'gulp'!

13 hours ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

Some nice work here!  I remember ruining this kit as a kid!  I didn't know anything about Luftwaffe camo, so made up a desert scheme.

They didn't even fl;y in the desert...  but what did I know?

Gaz

Cheers Gaz, bet that looked awesome though :) 

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh, I'm in here for that. Outclassed now by the Revell one it wasn't a bad kit for it's time and the only game in town. Good, except of the clear parts, which are awful. Better to exchange them by vacu. Anyway, good process so far. Maybe you should rework the cowlings (Kühlerklappen)

As usual the brilliant Box art, which made made me very keen on that :

I would try Humbrol clearfix for the little window.  You could also try to glue it from the outside and sand it plain and smooth.

Here a link for the rest:

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set09.html

I don't know, if the Revell ones would fit , so maybe something for  their Abteilung X for spare parts and conversions

Cheers

The box art is excellent - that's another thing that drew me to it:

IMG_6129.jpg

I contemplated doing something about the cowlings but opted in the end to just increase the depth of the lines between them to remove the flat no detail when looking at it from aft:

IMG_6133.jpg

@murfv has very kindly sorted me out with some leftovers he had from the falcon set, I'll just have to ensure I put a little bit more effort into the cockpit as it will be far more visible now!! Also ordered some clearfix so that should sort the port window to the rear of the plane. Thanks for the info though :) 

34 minutes ago, jannie said:

Nice! I recall building this kit at age 17 in high school - final year - and I hand-painted all the framing with a super-fine brush. It came out remarkably well seeing as I USED to have a super-steady hand and it was my pride and joy (so many school friends built models as well in those days - now it is all computer games I guess). I do have the Revell kit from some 5 years ago in my stash... Looking forward to the rest of the thread!

We all did didn't we - this was just a great looking plane with the HS 293's under the wings. Can't wait to detail those!

For those that want some more nostalgia, how about some of these old parts:

IMG_6130.jpg
IMG_6131.jpg

Look at those machine guns!!
IMG_6132.jpg

And almost transparent ejector marks... going to have to sort them out, that's for sure.

Cheers, JB.

• Like 6

Hi! Just wondering - are you going to go for the RLM76 sides + mottling, then? The He177 has always been one of my favourite aircraft, notwithstanding all its problems there is a certain "elegance" to it (for want of a better word). But then again, I think the Bv141 was an absolutely awesome looking plane so perhaps I should not be the one to throw words like that around ^_^

Edited by jannie
Missed a word
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

She's a beauty in some ways. I built one when I was 12 or something and still remember that when it was finished, it was one of my favourites - hence the nostalgia. I remember my attempt at the mottling too... this time round it's going to get the airbrush treatment 'gulp'!

Cheers Gaz, bet that looked awesome though :) 

@murfv has very kindly sorted me out with some leftovers he had from the falcon set, I'll just have to ensure I put a little bit more effort into the cockpit as it will be far more visible now!! Also ordered some clearfix so that should sort the port window to the rear of the plane. Thanks for the info though :) 

For those that want some more nostalgia, how about some of these old parts:

IMG_6130.jpg
IMG_6131.jpg

Look at those machine guns!!
IMG_6132.jpg

And almost transparent ejector marks... going to have to sort them out, that's for sure.

Cheers, JB.

Hi ,built this kit sometime in the early 70s ,the type of pilot figures always reminded me of the wasp larvae we used for fishing .

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 6:16 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Hi Stu, that's genius! Just watched a video on making them with the glue - exactly what I need. I'll order a bottle tonight :)

She's certainly coming along. Go on... get the revel one and have a go with the mottling! They're pretty rare now; a familiar auction site wants serious money for them.

Link to video please.

• Confused 1

On 27/10/2017 at 12:03 AM, jannie said:

Hi! Just wondering - are you going to go for the RLM76 sides + mottling, then? The He177 has always been one of my favourite aircraft, notwithstanding all its problems there is a certain "elegance" to it (for want of a better word). But then again, I think the Bv141 was an absolutely awesome looking plane so perhaps I should not be the one to throw words like that around ^_^

So the painting instructions say licht blau underneath, licht grau on the sides with the dark green mottling over that which I’ll stick too. I’ll probably paint a line of the grey with the air brush rather than mask over the blue... going to be a challenge this one but looking forward to giving it a go.

• Like 1

Good evening BM's, a little progress report. Most of the He 177 is built, re-scribed and riveted which has taken some time to say the least. I managed today to get the licht blau on and give it some subtle variations in toning:

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

I've still got some work to do around the cockpit which has taken many, many attempts at fitting sanding and generally trying to get right. It's not far off:

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

I ended up using the kit transparencies in the end despite being very kindly sent some vac form parts... I just couldn't get them to fit right no matter what I tried. A shame but then it is an old kit. Hopefully I'll be able to use the remainder of them on the tail and gunner positions.

Cheers, JB

• Like 8

An incredible looking aircraft - you have done a great job on re-scribing and riveting the old Airfix beast - no small task indeed.  Looks fab under a coat of primer.

Phil