Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

^ That's truly an astonishing collection.. 

I was immediately grabbed by the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger (with interior detail!)... I managed to blag that kit for Xmas or something, circa 1971, and I had the box on the top of my bedroom wardrobe sitting upright like that so I could just look at it 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CH-53D said:

Woolworths on Henry Street in Dublin was the supplier of most of my Airfix models, then a few doors down to Terry's Toy Shop for the Frog models.  If one had fallen on good fortune, such as birthdays or Christmas, one might venture further down the road to Barret's of Mary Street, where the exotics such as Hasegawa could be found.

It was a rare kit indeed that was not completed by sunset, even after I discovered paint.

Cheers

My model shop haunts as well. FROG models could also be found in The Banba Book Shop in Capel Street.

Pocket money bagged Series 1 kits were obtainable about a mile from home in Baldoyle at Keogh's Newsagents at Sutton Cross.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I too, wouldn't have even imagined having a kit that wasn't finished on the same day,

The first kit I failed to complete on the day of receipt was the Airfix B-29. 

I'll use the excuse that since it was received on Christmas, perforce it was late in the day when I got started!  I did work late into the night, the first time I did that with a model, but I ended up falling asleep at my desk.  That plane was a major undertaking for a 12 year old, and though it would look rather wretched to my eye some 50-odd years later, I was very proud of it at the time. 

Cheers

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

My model shop haunts as well. FROG models could also be found in The Banba Book Shop in Capel Street.

Pocket money bagged Series 1 kits were obtainable about a mile from home in Baldoyle at Keogh's Newsagents at Sutton Cross.

I don't think I ever made it to Banba on Capel Street, but there was one on Hawkins Street across from the pool where we took swimming lessons.  I specifically remember acquiring the Airfix P1127 there and looking at it on the 39A bus to Castleknock.  Funny the things one can remember vividly from so long ago when I often can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Cheers

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CH-53D said:

The first kit I failed to complete on the day of receipt was the Airfix B-29. 

I'll use the excuse that since it was received on Christmas, perforce it was late in the day when I got started!  I did work late into the night, the first time I did that with a model, but I ended up falling asleep at my desk.  That plane was a major undertaking for a 12 year old, and though it would look rather wretched to my eye some 50-odd years later, I was very proud of it at the time. 

Cheers

Probably was when I started on 1/35 armoured vehicles that the "done on the day" thing went out of the equation. Mainly as it involved having to let paint dry before doing more, having discovered dry brushing etc! 

Military Modelling was a good and informative mag in the 70s

I think the first "conversion" I did was inspired by an article in there, as I recall it was a Marder gashed together from a 38t a Pak 40 and some plastic card, which I was very pleased with at the time! 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

An amazing collection, how on earth do you decide which one to start?

Probably the Gakkan large scale Bell 47 G-2.  Only made  and sold in Japan 30 years ago?

12 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

^ That's truly an astonishing collection.. 

I was immediately grabbed by the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger (with interior detail!)... I managed to blag that kit for Xmas or something, circa 1971, and I had the box on the top of my bedroom wardrobe sitting upright like that so I could just look at it 😁

I remember that and the Monogram B-52 both on the main shelf at my towns hobby store around 1968-69?

22 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's one very impressive collection! I'll be spending the next hour or two playing spot the rarity!

Let me know what you find!

• Haha 1

Now how absolutely KOOL are your photos!!  Thanks for sharing them.  I grew up overseas and so we didn't have access to many Airfix kits but I do remember having a couple of their HO battle sets - the one I remember best was the farmhouse from the Battle of Waterloo.

Anyhoo.....a very interesting & pleasant post!

Cheers,

Tim

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tim Lingle said:

Now how absolutely KOOL are your photos!!  Thanks for sharing them.  I grew up overseas and so we didn't have access to many Airfix kits but I do remember having a couple of their HO battle sets - the one I remember best was the farmhouse from the Battle of Waterloo.

Anyhoo.....a very interesting & pleasant post!

Cheers,

Tim

Got to have a research center too!

IMG_8338

thumbnail_IMG_8836

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 12

That is an absolutely awesome collection, thanks for posting it! What scale is that Fw-190 you've got there?

Although the E-3A Sentry kit suggests the model shop dates from around 1972... ;) I'll get my coat! :D

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gazontipede said:

That is an absolutely awesome collection, thanks for posting it! What scale is that Fw-190 you've got there?

Although the E-3A Sentry kit suggests the model shop dates from around 1972... ;) I'll get my coat! :D

1.3 METER R/C Fw-190 Flown by Ace Oscar Bloch.  My collection runs from the 1940s-1980s, but majority are from the 60's, most beautiful box art period!

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 6

Wow, nice! So that'd be, what, around 1/8 scale? I'll have upgrade that to super-nice!

No argument on the box art from me. Back when they really were works of art!  😎

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, CMSCHLOM said:

Got to have a research center too!

Well said that man, a library in every home home should be made law, there are few rooms in any building that impress me as much as a good room full of books and maps. It looks like you have 3 books for every kit and you have a lot of kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Well said that man, a library in every home home should be made law, there are few rooms in any building that impress me as much as a good room full of books and maps. It looks like you have 3 books for every kit and you have a lot of kits.

It is a 3500 book military library I inherited from my father.  Oldest book in the collection is from 1715.  Covers just about every war, with emphasis on WWII, Vietnam, and of course military aviation.

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 4

On 06/03/2024 at 13:03, CH-53D said:

I don't think I ever made it to Banba on Capel Street, but there was one on Hawkins Street across from the pool where we took swimming lessons.  I specifically remember acquiring the Airfix P1127 there and looking at it on the 39A bus to Castleknock.  Funny the things one can remember vividly from so long ago when I often can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Cheers

On 06/03/2024 at 13:03, CH-53D said:

Cheers

Same here. I can still remember standing at the 32/32A/32B bustop in Abbey Street itching to open my newly acquired (from Banba) 1/72 FROG Fairey Firefly. That would have been around 1972.

I built it back then in the Canadian option but that build is long gone. However, during lockdown I had another go - 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Very nice, I like that.

I've always had a fondness for that kit.  I have a couple built many moons ago, and at least one unbuilt stashed away in a box. 

My Banba P.1127 experience on the 39A would have been 1972 or '73

Cheers

The other FROG kit I bought around the same time was their Sea Venom. I have a built one (not the original build however) in my current collection but I would like to have another go at it soon.

• Like 1