RyeField 1/35 Abrams M1A2 TUSK II

Gremlin56

21 hours ago, javlin said:

Julian Brother I have thought about you often and just decided to google your handle and yea the dark side won :) Doing OK still doing A/C got a couple of German Armour under the belt nothing fancy I might add but a good representation.I am surprised the Wiffee is still putting up with you? OH and the Armour may be the trade off she said smaller is better no more 1/200 scale ships! I see now brother :)

I moved in here at Brit-modeller after leaving Model Shipwrights, nice site, nice people here who made me feel at home. You might like it here too.

1/200th ships, no, no more space to store them built or unbuilt :thumbsup: I have done a couple of 1/16th tanks though so haven't given up the monster size builds completely.

I think a couple of my wingy things builds are still posted here too.

;)

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Washes are giving that touch of reality that we like so much, details are appearing ...:popcorn:, cheers Julian :yes:

Thank you Francis, just added some more paint so I'll be posting the pics shortly,

Cheers,

Julian ;)

Those optics are neat.  Look at them one way and they're blue and another way and they're red. 

You should get with the Christmas spirit and make them red and green though, lol.

The racks turned out pretty good too, never know they were warped now.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Thank you both Francis, Dan, the optics do look good but it's not due to my modelling skill but to the AFV Club optic foil I bought for the Princely sum of 6 Euro's :thumbsup:

Really can't take credit for the looks, it's just a nice add on effect albeit one I would recommend (the glue is good too B))

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Those optics are neat.  Look at them one way and they're blue and another way and they're red. 

You should get with the Christmas spirit and make them red and green though, lol.

The racks turned out pretty good too, neve know they were warped now.

Take care,

Lloyd

I have been looking for a tiny 1/35th Christmas tree to stick on the edge of the cupola :P

The racks were worse to build than they now look, used just about all of my inventory of "harsh language" learned during 10 years at sea on ocean going tugs and supply vessels.

Thanks for looking in Lloyd and you take care over there with all those polar bears and rabid penguins :thumbsup:

cheers

Julian

Not too many polar bears left, ice is melting and poor buggers can't take the warmth.  I feel really sorry for them and some of the pics I've seen are very very depressing.

Penguins not so much, see them in zoos and wonder why they are used in so many commercials and comic strips when they are really not that swift. (intelligent)

Yes I had to resort to some Evergreen styrene rod to patch up the racks on my 2nd Rye Field Abrams and then even some bedrolls and a tarp to hide some oops. Might

have used a couple of expletives myself.

Hate to say it but photo etched uprights and plastic bars would be better but probably add to the cost and those kits are already over the Cdn$100. mark.

It's looking good so far and the paint on the turret brings it together.  

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

The added on extra armour makes the whole thing look a lot more meaningful and don,t :poop: with me kind of stance

What did you use on the clear shields are they painted or do they come in the kit that colour  :book:

looking great as usual

beefy

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

The added on extra armour makes the whole thing look a lot more meaningful and don,t :poop: with me kind of stance

What did you use on the clear shields are they painted or do they come in the kit that colour  :book:

looking great as usual

beefy

Thanks Keith, Rye Field provide two sprues of transparencies: one the normal clear glass version and one tinted green. Looks quite good with the green tinted shields IMHO,

;)

Those tiles on the turret look real good all lined up like little soldiers and I like the subtle color variations. I know you haven't finished the weathering but

it looks good already.

Shouldn't that exhaust deflector on the rearmost turret rack be a sort of burnt paint rusty color.  I think they hung that over the turbine exhaust when in convoy to

avoid frying the guy behind or when doing maintenance or just to stop dust blowing and it tended to get pretty hot with 1500 degree exhaust. 

Could be full of it but I think that's what it's for and it got pretty abused.

Oops, guess I should read my own comments, "you haven't finished the weathering".  I'll go back to that nap I was having now........

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackMax12 said:

Shouldn't that exhaust deflector on the rearmost turret rack be a sort of burnt paint rusty color.  I think they hung that over the turbine exhaust when in convoy to

avoid frying the guy behind or when doing maintenance or just to stop dust blowing and it tended to get pretty hot with 1500 degree exhaust. 

Could be full of it but I think that's what it's for and it got pretty abused.

Oops, guess I should read my own comments, "you haven't finished the weathering".  I'll go back to that nap I was having now........

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, yes, you are spot on here. The deflector will be made suitably bashed up and rusty when I get around to painting it. Real life has been screeching for attention recently so as I mentioned to Francis, progress is as fast as a geriatric snail at the moment :snail:................................................................................................

Getting better with every update. I had missed the last one... Modern armour is so complicated with all the extra armour and stuff... Looking good, also with all the glass... :)

• Like 1

25/11 update.

Some goodies arrived from Germany, Etienne's Challenger builds had me drooling over Challengers so I had to have one at least. I bought some WW I Colors in preparation for a WNW build pretty soon (what was PC 12 used for? Would appear to be a naval dope but can't work out what it was used to dope :thumbsup:). The wash and streaking effects AK liquids are excellent stuff for modern US armor builds.

DSCN5514.jpg

DSCN5515.jpg

DSCN5516.jpg

DSCN5517.jpg

Started with decalling the Abrams. Yes, I know, Gremlin shouldn't be on this barrel but how could I resist using it? Also started using the AK wash on the build and am filling the bustle.

DSCN5518.jpg

DSCN5519.jpg

DSCN5520.jpg

DSCN5521.jpg

DSCN5522.jpg

;)

P.s. the wonky decal on the gunners primary sight has been removed and will be replaced (how could I have missed that :yikes:)

• Like 2