RyeField 1/35 Abrams M1A2 TUSK II

Gremlin56

55 minutes ago, crushkill said:

In reality the basket tends to get banged up quite a bit, so some warping and stuff isn’t a huge problem

Hi CK,

I rather expected that they would but Rye Field Models made sure in this case ;) Quite a few Bradley model builds on this site at the moment, nice to see more on line :yes:

• Like 1

Great work, says me, popping out from behind the curtains.

Those tracks look absolutely fantastic!

Silly question, possibly, but why build the whole length of track when half of it will be hidden? I'd be tempted to just make the minimum lengths, especially given the amount of parts there are!

Reaguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi Badder, Thank you. Why assemble the entire track? It's a bit like why fit the entire interior of the 1/16th JagdTiger or why fit the innards of all the aircraft I have ever built.

Because it's a challenge, because it's there I guess ;)

10/11 update.

Second track assembled, painted and fitted B) First AFV lens coating applied, nice! Side skirts fit beautifully without glue so with glue should be a snap. Work on turret continuing:

DSCN5480.jpg

DSCN5481.jpg

DSCN5485.jpg

DSCN5486.jpg

DSCN5488.jpg

DSCN5489.jpg

DSCN5490.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Like 7

You seriously need to start building your models way slower, I cannot follow all your super-awesome stuff. I need to take a day off work soon to catch up on it all.:D:D

This is so amazing, as all your work that I have seen so far. I am admiring its tidiness, sharpness and perfection!:worthy:

/Stefan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blaubar said:

You seriously need to start building your models way slower, I cannot follow all your super-awesome stuff. I need to take a day off work soon to catch up on it all.:D:D

This is so amazing, as all your work that I have seen so far. I am admiring its tidiness, sharpness and perfection!:worthy:

/Stefan

Thank you Stefan, this is another rather enjoyable project. Not up to your level of super detailing though ;)

Hey that's staring to look pretty impressive, well no, it did already look impressive but now looks even more so.  Like the subtle shading on the panel lines

that emphasizes but doesn't overpower and the id panels or whatever they're called on the turret front turned out very well.

I see you have the Bradley on overwatch while you build the Abrams, those guys need a break or a "porta-potty" by now for sure, poor buggers.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Good morning Julian. Hope you are well. Just been catching up with your amazing project and it looks to have made great progress. I do like what you are doing with the washes. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good morning Julian. Hope you are well. Just been catching up with your amazing project and it looks to have made great progress. I do like what you are doing with the washes. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, thank you! The oil washes are still a bit harsh, toning them down with some drybrushing at the moment to make it a bit "softer looking", ironically enough using Vallejo "Iraqi sand" for the dry brushing :yikes:

• Like 1

Nice work Gremlin, its looking great. Those side skirts look a much better fit than Meng's effort. Kit detail looks like its at the same level or better. How have you done your periscopes? I like your effect where they still have the red filter coating but still look like they are transparent. Is it just transparent red or is there a secret to your sauce?

Cheers

Reilly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reilly said:

Nice work Gremlin, its looking great. Those side skirts look a much better fit than Meng's effort. Kit detail looks like its at the same level or better. How have you done your periscopes? I like your effect where they still have the red filter coating but still look like they are transparent. Is it just transparent red or is there a secret to your sauce?

Cheers

Reilly.

Thank you very much Reilly. The stickers were actually very easy:

https://www.dersockelshop.de/m1a1-m1a2-abrams-reflection-stickers-1-35_afv-club_afac3512.html

The only sauce used during the build was the edible type, preferably Chili sauce ;)

• Thanks 1

Calling CK, maybe you can help me once again: where do the towing wires get stowed on the Tusk II Abrams? (not on the turret because they wouldn't fit under the ERA, or do they rely on the towing bars at he front?)

B)

Hi Julian

If this works here's a you tube of a crew installing reactive armor on an Abrams and the cables are on the turret.  They don't actually show the tiles on the turret but the mounting brackets are there so they must mount them but the cables are there.

They have enough guys to eat the tank so manpower is no problem.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Julian

I think part of the problem is Rye Field has you drill the holes for the TUSK tile brackets in the wrong place so they hide the tow cables. The back 4 tiles are too low and the tops of those

should line up with the 2 in front of them so all 6 are even at the top.

There's a blog of a build on Track-Link that shows this and I'll try to link to it.  Scroll way down and he will show pics of the tiles in the wrong place as per Rye Field.

I moved mine, after drilling the holes of course and it does look better.

http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/28590/flat

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Thank you very much Reilly. The stickers were actually very easy:

https://www.dersockelshop.de/m1a1-m1a2-abrams-reflection-stickers-1-35_afv-club_afac3512.html

The only sauce used during the build was the edible type, preferably Chili sauce ;)

Thanks Gremlin, that's a great link. They have quite a collection of diorama extras. I suspect I may be sending an order their way in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Reilly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, javlin said:

Well,Well,Well !! Still doing some of the best weathering one well see but I see that the you have developed Landlubber legs ;)  Kevin

It's a fair cop Kevin, I surrender and admit I have been hanging around on the "dark side" recently. Welcome to Britmodeller, ;)

How are you doing?

Julian

20 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Julian

I think part of the problem is Rye Field has you drill the holes for the TUSK tile brackets in the wrong place so they hide the tow cables. The back 4 tiles are too low and the tops of those

should line up with the 2 in front of them so all 6 are even at the top.

There's a blog of a build on Track-Link that shows this and I'll try to link to it.  Scroll way down and he will show pics of the tiles in the wrong place as per Rye Field.

I moved mine, after drilling the holes of course and it does look better.

http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/28590/flat

Lloyd

And thanks again Lloyd, sounds like the real solution to a problem that shouldn't have been incorporated in the model :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Reilly said:

Thanks Gremlin, that's a great link. They have quite a collection of diorama extras. I suspect I may be sending an order their way in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Reilly.

They have excellent delivery and fast dispatch, can really recommend them.

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

It's a fair cop Kevin, I surrender and admit I have been hanging around on the "dark side" recently. Welcome to Britmodeller, ;)

How are you doing?

Julian

Julian Brother I have thought about you often and just decided to google your handle and yea the dark side won :) Doing OK still doing A/C got a couple of German Armour under the belt nothing fancy I might add but a good representation.I am surprised the Wiffee is still putting up with you? OH and the Armour may be the trade off she said smaller is better no more 1/200 scale ships! I see now brother :)

• Like 1