Rescuing an old Vulcan

Lord Riot

Many years ago I made an Airfix Vulcan, which still lives (just!) on top of a wardrobe in my old room at my dad's house. It's in a poor state now, with a wing hanging off from glue failure, a snapped probe and very badly painted in innaccurate grey/green camo, along with peeling decals.

I know it may be beyond help, and so much easier to just buy another Vulcan, but where's the challenge and achievement in that?

So, does anyone have any tips on rescuing this old kit? Does it need a soak in warm water to remove the decals? How best to repaint it? I was considering an all over satin white and make it into an early Blue Steel white Vulcan. Would this work or would I need to remove all the old paint first? (In which case it may be a challenge I shirk!)

I've never tried it myself but I believe you can strip the paint off the model by spraying it with oven cleaner and then sealing it in a plastic bag for a while before washing the "gunk" off it with clean water.

If it has sustained too much damage during its time on top of the wardrobe to be returned to mint condition, could you consider displaying it as a scrapped/fire-dumped airframe?

xl427-vulcan-machrihanish-5.jpg

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

Go on, give it a go! Strip the paint off. Then, stick it in a plastic bag in the freezer overnight then see how far you can dismantle it without wrecking any parts. Then you have most of a kit again. Tidy up the joints and any rough areas and give it a go.

It's great fun rebuilding old kits.(other's opinions may vary)

• Like 1