Airfix 1/48 Lightning, XR770 (again, I know...)

RMP2

Hello again, people, its been a little while.

Right. Its my mates 50th birthday next Friday - the 27th. And seeing as that 1/24 Opel Manta hasnt yet been released so I am unable to replicate his old rally car, Ive dragged my Lightning from the stash instead. He grew up around Binbrook so obviously he is smitten/scarred by those brutal mental machines.

However. His favourite Lightning is XR770 with just the tail in red. It also happens to sport the tail code AA which are his initials. So its a no brainer really, just a fight against time. 8pm Friday is my cut off... not great news given my build history.

I made a start last night and now have the fuselage glued up, wings stuck together, Firestreaks already painted white (as I write I fear they should have grey/silver bodies...?).

Plan is to have it wheels up (has to be now theres no nose weights gone in) and vertical on some sort of plinth/base/wall mount, still working on that but have a cunning plan. The base thing will be taken care of by my brother, a mutual mate of birthday boy and is the go-to guy for quite woody favours.

Heres the target:

85002_1359581115.jpg

1379251-large.jpg

And heres we are right now.... 22 hours in....

37580465440_2527d87351_b.jpg

For the red Im sticking stubbornly to Humbrol enamels, I know them well. Gone for Hu60 Matt Scarlet, any objections? Think Im sorted for the greys, theyre pretty well known.

• Like 3

Bit too busy for much photo stuff. Working yesterday ate into my time a bit too. Also finished late today, so missed the model shop and found myself with no filler, and I really needed it tonight!

So, I slipped into my Brave Pants and stretched some sprue, got the Tamiya Extra Thin out and this is how things went.

One underside wing root before hardening off and sanding

37885723901_11d97b6d70_b.jpg

And the process on t'other side

37165753983_b37c5780be_b.jpg

37885722501_aa1e1fafe6_b.jpg

37165752633_d27bc636ed_b.jpg

Its had a sand and tidy up all round and is now in primer awaiting a second looking over, then hopefully some tactical preshading.

Then its canopy masking and seat n pilot attention.

Brother has his orders re the floating shelf, rotating base.

Everything is crossed here!!

• Like 2

Forgot to ask - details seem a little sketchy as it was camo transition time, but would anyone know if the top colour (barley/camouflage grey) wrapped around the wingtips at all, like with the grey/green/silver scheme?

770 was different to the other grey lightnings as it was mainly barley grey all over except for the undersides of the wings and tailplanes which were light aircraft grey. I believe the topside colour just crept under the wings by about a couple of inches in a straight line following the leading edges unlike the camoflaged ones which followed the build lines .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Vader said:

770 was different to the other grey lightnings as it was mainly barley grey all over except for the undersides of the wings and tailplanes which were light aircraft grey. I believe the topside colour just crept under the wings by about a couple of inches in a straight line following the leading edges unlike the camoflaged ones which followed the build lines .

Thank you.

Since I posted the question, thats what I seem to have found too. 6 inches of Barley on the underside of the wings was one bit I read, but nothing more specific than that. Unsure whether to go for the straight line or use artistic license and follow the panel line and curve... the gap isnt great there and a colour change might help that a little, however slight the colour difference may be. I just dont have time to do something with that gap!

No word on the Barley creeping under the tailplane leading edge? Theres a suspicious panel line to follow....

Well, the primer proof coat has gone pretty good. Just a few areas requiring attention.

Photo just to show that Im on with it really!

24036041608_d7a3866234_b.jpg

Tail fin isnt glued, just a really tight and close fit - saves masking stuff later for the red as the demarcation lines are bang on the fin part. I like that. :)

• Like 1

Don't go with the join where the bottom goes into the top as that was the camoflaged demarcation.  A straight line is what's correct and the same on the tailplanes.

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/imagepopup.php?page_id=2695&src=/flying-legends/lightning/bt08-lightning-f6-xr728-6.jpg

• Like 1

Although that looks like Dark Sea Grey up top, I have to agree re the line under the wing. At least... I will go for it as you say and if it looks off with the poor gap that Ive left, I may remask and move it, whether it really be right or wrong - birthday boy wont know the difference anyway. ;)

Must say thats a lovely photo, a rather proud looking ugly lump it is. :)

Holly Molly !!

I started mine around 2004....

But I see that you have encountered the same fitting problems than on mine !!!

Will finish her soon now, at least I hope, may be.

Racing things, it's a fast and furious Lightning !

Congratulations ! You did great !

Sincerely !

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Holly Molly !!

I started mine around 2004....

But I see that you have encountered the same fitting problems than on mine !!!

Will finish her soon now, at least I hope, may be.

Racing things, it's a fast and furious Lightning !

Congratulations ! You did great !

Sincerely !

Corsaircorp

Few fitting problems on the all important top side. ;)  And thankfully not many parts to stick together.

Even with the fitting issues here n there, its still a great looking kit when built - Its a Lightning... no need to say more. :D

• Thanks 1

Oh, and Revision 1 of the base drawing. Looking at floating shelf mount stuff now.

37857231232_fac925da64_b.jpg

Our kid reckons its a doddle, so he had best not screw it up!

Any thoughts on this? I read something about a natural metal false canopy, but cant see it in any photos... anyone know anything there?

37857554262_915b91f260_b.jpg

Can't help you with the colour scheme, but can say that if you get caught out with no filler, use the CA and talc method. Cheap, reliable, fast and now is my go to method. It scribes well too, sands to a fine finish with a feather edge, can be mixed to different consistencies depending on what you want to do,  and will cure completely without shrinkage in large gaps. Depending on the ratio of talc it sands super easy too

HTH

Les

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lesthegringo said:

Can't help you with the colour scheme, but can say that if you get caught out with no filler, use the CA and talc method. Cheap, reliable, fast and now is my go to method. It scribes well too, sands to a fine finish with a feather edge, can be mixed to different consistencies depending on what you want to do,  and will cure completely without shrinkage in large gaps. Depending on the ratio of talc it sands super easy too

HTH

Les

Thanks for that. Ive hit the odd spot with pure CA after the first prime proof test thing, and a couple of others with more melted sprue. Leaving it overnight to fully cure off, early morning sand and a light prime to check is the order of attack. Will see how that goes and if no joy then talc will be added to the mix! :)

1 hour ago, Darth Vader said:

Don't bother with a false canopy ( f18 ) no lightning sported one

It sounded odd to me. But then paint n stuff was being played with at that time.
Cool. One less thing to mask off. :)

Im not particularly pleased with it, but it is a rush job... and the top side is looking better than the bottom, but here we are at the end of play this evening (girls gone to bed, so no more compressor running...)

37200936294_5daa8f4250_b.jpg

37910583221_42aeefa965_b.jpg

37200935044_b50067e9da_b.jpg

37910582681_6a1079243b_b.jpg

Tomorrow is picking panels I think, gun pod in silver, tank in MSG. Unsure which way to do those and the top side camo, what with the masking and short time available and me using enamels... but hey, it is what it is.

Dying to get some red on that fin, I know that much.

Oh, canopy got DIY masked too and interior colour lobbed on.
I should get a brush and start the pilot and finish the seat, but theres a cold one been found in the fridge... itll be fine.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

Hows the kit for warped parts? I'd heard some horror stories of the wings being at different angles,  that sort of thing, and it's made me hesitant about getting one

Les

This one (the late boxing) and my last (early box) have been fine for warps, no trouble there. Wing bits on the underside are the biggest gripe re fitment - gaps basically at panel line points, so a bit tricky to deal with. But I dont display mine upside down, so Im not that bothered to be honest. Other than that - sink marks in the U/C doors external face and the terrible nose wheel bay are the biggest things Ive noticed. Top side though its all pretty good if youre careful with the fuselage seam.
Get the later boxing if only for the lovely decals, theyre usual Cartograf quality.

Mesh should sort this not-quite-thinned-enough painted fin.... colours are looking nice, albeit with very little difference between the 166 and 167 which could well be how Ive sprayed it. Regardless though, its looking about right when I offer up bit. Just wish theyd dry so I can nail em on.

37881107046_2661146222_b.jpg

Blutoofing photos from my phone isnt working great it seems.

Edited by RMP2

Right. Well. This has been a bit mental.

You know when youre trying to drive somewhere and every tractor in the world has decided to use that road you have to drive along? Its been a bit like that.

8pm tomorrow is supposedly my cutoff point and....

37900461026_8fdd162c88_b.jpg

26178253389_0215362c68_b.jpg

37900460536_0440faa454_b.jpg

Im normally home at 15:30 on a Friday.

Crossed fingers, Bloody Good Luck, Wings of a Prayer and amphetamine would be appreciated.

All things considered, its not looking terrible, just needs to come together in one last push. And nothing else go wrong!!!!!!!

Yea, Ill get some half decent photos when I can actually touch it again and get it in some half decent light.