Airfix 1:32 QF 17-pounder Anti Tank Gun *COMPLETED*

clive_t

More, if modest, progress this evening - the main gun mechanism was adorned with the remaining 'fiddlies' and the barrel:

26273406749_d98df4f363_b.jpg

From some reference pics I saw that the legs appear to have a sort of 'box girder' look to them, with a weld bead where the bend is. So first off, some filling of some very obvious joins:

38018455892_cd45811c7f_b.jpg

Once sanded down, I also noticed that the shovel - which Messrs Airfix would like me to just glue to the outside of the left leg, did in fact have a metal pocket welded to the leg with which to secure it. So I resorted to hacking away at a small piece of thin styrene sheet to fashion my own:

37340375624_91dc4c5d67_b.jpg

Sadly no painting as I had originally hoped, but it's still progress!

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

The devil is in the detail clive, good stuff

Never a truer word, Glynn! Now that I've found a collection of reference photos, the concern now is to not go totally to town on it! :waiting:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great progress Clive - and good work on the spade pocket. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, I've finally made a start on spraying the metallic colour, but not finished unfortunately - no pics yet but hopefully some will be forthcoming on Friday :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

A quick dry-fit of the main parts, having given them a quick spray with Tamiya Gun Metal (X-10):

26360384089_eb67dbc670_b.jpg

I need to let that dry a while, then on with some hair-spray in preparation for the main colour. Messrs Airfix suggest '253 Matt Dunkelgrun' - I presume the number is a Humbrol code, which paint I do not possess. Therefore I will have to work out what I could use as an approximation.

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looking very good in it's metallic paint! :thumbsup:
Kind regards,

Stix

It does rather, I have to admit! A small temptation to leave it as is, but... nah.

9 minutes ago, Soeren said:

According to a quick look that should be RLM 83. What would be Vallejo Modelair 011 for instance.

Thanks Soeren, that's very useful. As luck would have it, I do have some of that very paint :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

... and here's how it looks now:

38088077576_a803186929_b.jpg

Still some bits to do to it, including an attempt at chipping and various other weathering tasks, but looking not too shabby now I think.

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 7

Nice bit of work there Clive. I always felt a much forgotten piece of British designed tech. It’s forgotten even though it made the Sherman eventually able to take on Tigers. It became very popular with American’s in Normandy when that fact got out....😁

looking forward to seeing it in a scene Clive like the pic you posted at start 

Simon

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2017 at 11:57 AM, FrancisGL said:

For me the color is right, when this weathered will be very good...:popcorn:, cheers Clive :yes:

On 05/11/2017 at 12:25 PM, PlaStix said:

Definitely looking good in it’s green coat. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks both, for your most kind comments. My apologies for the delay in acknowledging you properly, real life has been right in my face recently. Today is the first day for 3 weeks that I've been anywhere near getting some bench time in.

Not much progress either, if I am honest. This has been something of an attempt at a mojo kick-start - specifically, I wanted an ammo crate for the 'live' rounds provided with the kit. So, out came the styrene sheet, and with reference to a photo I had a go at making something approximating to it:

38623283221_5e01e80243_b.jpg

As I said, not a massive amount to show for several hours' work to be fair - but it's progress, to which I will hopefully add tomorrow.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Still catching up with various threads after being way for a month. It's coming along nicely Clive, and the ammo box looks good too.

John. 

7 hours ago, Carius said:

Nice progress Clive. Looking forward to see the kit finished :popcorn:

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated.

More progress today - toolboxes and drag ropes now complete:

38584183776_c0297f30d0_b.jpg

On the other side, the spade is also now in place, secure in its pocket:

38607987372_248060e012_b.jpg

You can see that in and next to the ammo box are the three rounds, painted but yet to receive their decals - as far as I can recall this will be the first time I've ever had to apply decals to shells! Apologies for the poor photos, my new LED desk light is not very good at illuminating subjects for photographic purposes.

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Nice scratch building on the ammo box Clive, coming along nicely with the added ropes and straps.

Cheers Ozzy, appreciate it. I had a bit of a tough lesson when it came to chipping. I found that leaving the paint for 3 weeks before trying to chip it was not the best strategy - having said that, the delay was not totally foreseeable, so hopefully I will get this technique right eventually :)

Instead I resorted to dry-spongeing some gun metal over the dark green. Not that obvious in the previous photos, but I assure you I did it! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clive_t said:

Cheers Ozzy, appreciate it. I had a bit of a tough lesson when it came to chipping. I found that leaving the paint for 3 weeks before trying to chip it was not the best strategy - having said that, the delay was not totally foreseeable, so hopefully I will get this technique right eventually :)

Instead I resorted to dry-spongeing some gun metal over the dark green. Not that obvious in the previous photos, but I assure you I did it! :D

Yes, I personally find that you want to do the chipping quite soon after the coat of paint has dried, otherwise it can be difficult.

• Thanks 1

Cracking job Clive, really nice......scratch building an' all. Inspires me to have a crack at a Verlinden PAK 43 I have in resin........two minds whether to sell it on or give it a go, but I'm not a fan of resin kits or major parts at present after my SIG 33 upper hull..... anyway, good job on the "Tiger" killer....:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1