Airfix 1:32 QF 17-pounder Anti Tank Gun *COMPLETED*

clive_t

21 hours ago, Norman said:

Great work !

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Great project Clive, only just discovered it.....Love what you are doing with the figures!  :thumbsup:

Thanks both, very much appreciated :)

Some great progress today - mainly due to the arrival of the diorama items  I ordered from Messrs Fields of Glory Models, in Hook - same county as me, how about that! Well packed, and all the bits arrived in good order:

39715104472_7dbe1f268a_b.jpg

I don't intend to try and use all of this stuff on the one dio, I just felt I needed some options as to what to include on it. Ultimately it will all find a useful home, I am sure!

A quick dry-run with the principal parts:

38848405495_0d4e150a11_b.jpg

The building walls are cast plaster, and to be honest quite heavy - and tall, I didn't appreciate how tall it stood. I might have to figure out a way of maybe cutting it down to size without damaging it too badly. But it's a good, clean casting, there's no denying that.

Finally for now, I drilled and pinned a head and the right arm to the beer swilling individual, I mixed up a small batch of Milliput, and set to further bulking out the two figures where I felt it necessary - not obvious in this pic, this is just to see how they look on the dio base:

39715097492_d7dfa58eae_b.jpg

The jury is still out on which head I end up using where, but at the moment it's only pinned, so I can still change it if necessary.

Thanks as ever for stopping by :)

• Like 6

More progress today. The beer bottle is looking pretty much how I wanted it, having had several dips in sepia washes of increasingly dark tones:

25911607848_2baa3b3999_b.jpg

A narrow escape when the Carpet Monster temporarily intervened, however the bottle was successfully recovered. A somewhat stressful couple of minutes, it must be said!

Some good progress on the other Airfix figure. First, some rather drastic surgery:

39073810064_be670ee17e_b.jpg

Followed swiftly by some Milliput to heal the wounds and set the pose:

25911605148_e32b4f9e63_b.jpg

As yet I am undecided to make yet another bottle, or some sustenance such as a piece of cheese or similar. I shall ponder that further, but I am happy with the head I have chosen for him, so that will be fixed in due course.

Finally for now, a rather poor pic - for which I apologise - of the 2 figures with the gun:

39073807474_4f604283a3_b.jpg

I managed to obtain 3 'A4' photo frames for £5 today whilst out and about, hence you see one of them in the pic. A bit of filing will be needed on the base plate (which is cast resin), but only a millimetre or so down the long side. It's a bit too short on the other dimension, but there are any number of ways I can hide that so I'm not too bothered about it.

Hopefully more progress tomorrow, thanks for looking in :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking ace clive, should he be drinking whilst in charge of that gun :tmi:, superb job on the figures

Thanks Glynn, actually you make a valid point which has got me wondering... Whilst I am not overly worried about replicating the actual location from the original photo, I'd at least like to make sure that I wasn't modelling the kind of scenario that in fact never happened. You could imagine the honest foot-slogger 'liberating' the odd bottle of something warming on his perambulations round the streets of Europe, but as for being in charge of a piece of kit like this, or a tank, the ramifications of being caught in possession by one's superiors might have been more serious :(

I guess I could model a lump of bread of a piece of cheese instead, if needs be. Shame really, I was quite pleased with how that bottle turned out!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

Could the bottle hold Ginger Beer or the like ?

That's a thought, Norman, thanks. That can be his excuse, let's hope the CO doesn't smell his breath :D

3 hours ago, clive_t said:

Thanks Glynn, actually you make a valid point which has got me wondering... Whilst I am not overly worried about replicating the actual location from the original photo, I'd at least like to make sure that I wasn't modelling the kind of scenario that in fact never happened. You could imagine the honest foot-slogger 'liberating' the odd bottle of something warming on his perambulations round the streets of Europe, but as for being in charge of a piece of kit like this, or a tank, the ramifications of being caught in possession by one's superiors might have been more serious :(

I guess I could model a lump of bread of a piece of cheese instead, if needs be. Shame really, I was quite pleased with how that bottle turned out!

Leave him with the bottle i say

Glynn 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Leave him with the bottle i say

Glynn 

He'll thank you for that, I'm sure :D

As promised, more progress today. Firstly the two Airfix crew have their heads fixed:

39090127314_5c36e6fd57_b.jpg

39768219992_4948cdcbc0_b.jpg

Some tidying up still to do on their necks, but I'll leave them for now.

The main activity today was trying to sort out the dio base. There was a problem, however - I wanted to make the piles of rubble so that I didn't commit them to a position on the base only to then realise I needed to move them slightly. After a bit of head scratching, I found the answer in the form of some off-cuts of 'vertical blind' material, of which I have appreciable quantities going begging. A piece of that would be a useful, indeed separate base on which to build whatever I wanted, and I could cut the excess off once I was happy. Furthermore, I re-employed an old trick of mine to save on massive amounts of Milliput - aluminium foil to form the basic shape:

38901146385_712a042e75_b.jpg

Then cover with Milliput:

39768223802_068aa4d175_b.jpg

Once covered, try it out to see how it looks:

25927559838_bebcd6fd11_b.jpg

Not too shabby, I think. Still needs dressing with various lumps of rubble, but that will be my next little project.

One other thing today - I had an idea to use one part of the plaster cast 'ruined government building', however I had to persuade it to be shorter and wider:

25927551908_e0e355039c_b.jpg

An interesting experience, I have to say. I think I prefer working in plastic to plaster:

24929662057_760a5ec7ed_b.jpg

All in all, a good day! Thanks for your comments, and for looking in :thumbsup2:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

You always do inspirational work Clive,Great to see it,and in the case of the beer he may have Vodka no smell,or you could say he is an Aussie,do know they like their Beer:D Cheers. 

Cheers Jim. Good point well made :D

• Thanks 1

More progress yesterday evening, and again this evening. The mound(s) of rubble received a coating of black primer:

39878678591_2cf7622646_b.jpg

The idea being that when I get to spraying the rubble dressing, the bits that get missed will continue to show black, and hopefully hide the un-dressed bits.

Once that had dried, I commenced to sticking on bits of rubble. These are cast items made by an outfit called Juweela. Very nicely cast they are too:

39878670381_90f5377889_b.jpg

Eagle-eyed persons will notice small lumps of Milliput in amongst the cast pieces. Well, waste not, want not, as they say!

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 3

More progress today. More piles of rubble - presumably put there by the gun crew to act as some protection from being shot at under the gun legs:

28131234209_1269af39d8_b.jpg

Of course, a quick cheeky dry-fit of the various bits together:

28131232009_5a4348338d_b.jpg

I then had a go at making a Denison smock, from tissue paper and dilute PVA:

39878708972_daf0c218b1_b.jpg

Not finished yet, but I need to let this dry first before doing anything more to it, otherwise it just makes an awful mess :)

Thanks for looking in :thumbsup2:

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

Good progress. The base will add lots to the gun. 

Thanks Kris, a small amount of money well spent, I feel :)

18 hours ago, Norman said:

I agree , that base will be great !

Thanks Norman, much appreciated

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've not caught up with this for a week or so, wow, looking good, some great modelling going on here. You're setting the bar way up there Clive, I'll need to up my game a bit. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve, very kind

7 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Alll looking nice Clive. Cracking work on the figures. Not something I’ve ever attempted. I suppose u have to when following a picture......nice work all round. ......👌

regards

simon

Thanks Simon. I guess it's also about having the confidence to try an emulate a pose, or a scene. Having been into figure-hacking for a number of years now (albeit larger scales), I am more confident of this kind of customisation than I am of making one from scratch. I'd always recommend having a go, though, as it can be very rewarding to produce something slightly different from what was suggested on the box art.

Some more progress today - the Denison smock now has the 'collar' folds added - and just to keep the cold out I added a woollen scarf:

39218880264_4653f6f2ed_b.jpg

I also scribed some extra 'exposed brickwork' into the walls of the back-drop:

28149173369_2baef47985_b.jpg

Finally, I made a start on the rubble pile for the other leg of the gun:

39896842002_e7b83b9efe_b.jpg

That's where we are with it right now! :)

• Like 3

More progress today. First, the building walls received their first coat of paint - well, a wash really. I used a watered down Games Workshop 'Bleached Bone' colour, which was quickly absorbed by the plaster:

39989168791_58d7691e18_b.jpg

I'll pick out the brickwork in due course, but I think it looked ok.

I then had a quick look at some reference photos, whereupon it occurred to me that there should be some kind of pedestrian access along the wall. So I set to work scribing paving slabs on to a thin piece of scrap styrene sheet:

26116857358_6d6c29197d_b.jpg

Needs painting and fixing to the base, but not too bad:

26116852288_57a4a5e19c_b.jpg

You can't see it, but I've glued and pinned the two sections of wall together so as to make it more stable when the time comes to fixing it to the base.

Thanks for stopping by :)

• Like 3

On 31/01/2018 at 5:00 AM, Hewy said:

Thats a cracking little scene your settling there clive, very atmospheric 

Thanks Glynn, to be honest I am winging it to some extent, but luckily it's starting to look the part.

On 31/01/2018 at 3:09 PM, PlaStix said:

Super work on the scenics and figures Clive. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers, Stix, most kind of you.

More progress today. First off, I had a go at painting the exposed brickwork on the wall using some GW 'Vermin Brown' :

40043541281_c3f4af70c1_b.jpg

A bit 'brand new' I guess, but I was expecting that - some toning down with paler colours would hopefully see to it. Time for the air-brush to get an outing! While I was about it, I had a rush of blood to the head and made a start on painting the big rubble pile:

40011004072_92ce5a7e0b_b.jpg

Still a bit of work to do here, with dry-brushing/sponging of black etc to imitate dirt/grime etc, but I am quite pleased with how it's looking now.

I then decided that the base should have some kind of gutter where the path meets the road. So I chopped out a whole row of setts and replaced that with Milliput, scribed to indicate smaller setts arranged at right angles to the main road setts:

25171659287_582c7c7bb0_b.jpg

I also figured that one side of the wall was a bit plain and uninteresting, so I broke open my pack of recently acquired 'rubble piles' (more plaster castings) and chose a reasonable piece. It needed a bit of cutting to make it fit, but with a quick wash it looked ok:

39144869765_955b9d255d_b.jpg

As you might expect, the temptation to do another 'dry fit' proved overwhelming:

39144871155_365c1fe82d_b.jpg

I also added a beret (Milliput) to one of the Airfix figures:

40043530081_efcfde1cf1_b.jpg

Also, I figured the Denison smock worn by the other Airfix figure needed elongating, so once more with the tissue and diluted PVA:

40011001582_5b5e2ecba0_b.jpg

But apart from that, I haven't really done anything today :D

Thanks as ever for watching, and of course your comments :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Coming along at treat Clive. Certainly makes me want to try a themed base at some point. Problem for me is no where to put it when finished. Not sure where to put finished AFV’s when done......there’s only so many window sills I’ve been allocated......😖

Double thumbs up on progress so far mate.....👍👍

Regards

Simon

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The brickwork looks very convincing. Nice work on the figures.

John.

Thanks John, much appreciated. :thumbsup2:

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Coming along at treat Clive. Certainly makes me want to try a themed base at some point. Problem for me is no where to put it when finished. Not sure where to put finished AFV’s when done......there’s only so many window sills I’ve been allocated......😖

Double thumbs up on progress so far mate.....👍👍

Regards

Simon

Cheers Simon, most kind. I guess I am ok at the moment as I have space in a display cabinet. But at A4-size, it's something of a luxury I won't be able to afford soon!

So, more progress today. The Denison smock-wearing individual now has a beret, again from Milliput:

40028732942_495a93002d_b.jpg

The wall got a little more abuse, as well as a vandalised propaganda poster :):

39350673684_2213eee4a2_b.jpg

The footpath section was sprayed with a stone colour - not sure how accurate that is, but it looks ok to me:

40028765612_94304eeda2_b.jpg

The base-plate was also air-brushed with Tamiya NATO Black:

40028760782_1c1a2b99aa_b.jpg

I also air-brushed the small rubble pile with some appropriate colours:

40028743782_4a142aa9f3_b.jpg

Putting it all together for yet another dry run:

28281945279_44f55c7723_b.jpg

All in all, I am quite pleased with the day's proceedings :)

Thanks for watching :thumbsup2:

• Like 5